- Fired regulator: Brown pushed to waive oil safeguards. Updated: Sep-04-15 1:55 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The state's fired former top oil regulator says Gov. Jerry Brown's administration pressured him to break federal and state law on oilfield permitting.
- Review cites problems at Texas hospital during Ebola crisis Updated: Sep-04-15 1:41 am
DALLAS - The Texas hospital that treated the first person diagnosed in the U.S. with Ebola was not adequately prepared for a patient with the deadly virus and stumbled because of communication failures, an independent review released Friday found.
- Airman who helped stop train attack set returns to US Updated: Sep-04-15 12:59 am
TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, California - The U.S. Air Force airman who was injured when he and two childhood friends tackled a heavily armed gunman on a Paris-bound train returned to his native California Thursday night.
- Horse industry worries about plans to curb casino subsidies Updated: Sep-04-15 12:59 am
BOSTON - Horse track operators and breeders are concerned the good times might be trotting to a close as some states move to rein in a lucrative subsidy that's helped prop up their long suffering-industry.
- Disney unveils Star Wars toys amid marketing blitz Updated: Sep-04-15 12:31 am
NEW YORK - The release of the new Star Wars movie may still be months off, but Disney is unleashing its full marketing "Force" behind the launch of hundreds of toys and other items related to the film.
- Former ref Mike Carey now explains the calls Updated: Sep-04-15 12:08 am
Mike Carey almost looks out of uniform dressed in a suit and tie. Where's the referee's outfit?
- Asian stock markets ebb ahead of US jobs report Updated: Sep-03-15 11:25 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Asian stock markets were mostly lower Friday as caution prevailed before the release of the monthly U.S. jobs report and the resumption of trading on Chinese stock markets next week.
- Semitrailer damages Interstate 90 bridge in Gillette Updated: Sep-03-15 10:22 pm
GILLETTE, Wyoming - A Wyoming transportation official says it will take a year to fully repair an Interstate 90 bridge over South Highway 59 in Gillette after a semitrailer struck it.
- California governor offers $3.6 billion annual highway plan Updated: Sep-03-15 10:04 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown's administration is proposing to spend $3.6 billion a year for repairs to California's crumbling transportation infrastructure, with some of the money to come from a $65 annual fee on vehicle registrations and increases in diesel and gas taxes tied to inflation.
- Thousands of gallons of oil spilled in Mississippi River Updated: Sep-03-15 9:26 pm
COLUMBUS, Kentucky - Part of the Mississippi River was closed as crews investigated an oil spill caused by the collision of two tow boats, the U.S. Coast Guard said Thursday.
- Judge sides with Brady on 'Deflategate,' NFL appeals Updated: Sep-03-15 9:24 pm
NEW YORK - Tom Brady learned Thursday he will start the season on the field after a judge lifted the league's four-game suspension of the star quarterback for a scandal over deflated footballs, saying he was treated unfairly by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. The league quickly appealed.
- Report faults VA management for construction cost overruns Updated: Sep-03-15 9:23 pm
AURORA, Colorado - Huge cost overruns and long delays at new VA hospitals in Colorado, Florida and Louisiana were caused by multiple design changes, mismanaged contracts or poor budget controls, according to Army Corps of Engineers reports released Thursday.
- New indictment adds charges against Washington state auditor Updated: Sep-03-15 9:00 pm
SEATTLE - A new indictment from a federal grand jury on Thursday added money laundering and tax evasion counts to a long list of charges against Washington State Auditor Troy Kelley, who has been on unpaid leave while fighting allegations that he stole more than $1 million from clients of his former business.
- Metrolink evaluating train car safety in wake of accident Updated: Sep-03-15 8:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - Metrolink is evaluating the safety of its crash-resistant cars and removing them from the front of trains in the wake of a deadly Southern California derailment, the railroad said Thursday.
- Norovirus suspected for Chipotle illnesses in Simi Valley Updated: Sep-03-15 8:44 pm
VENTURA, California - Health officials say a foodborne virus may have sickened nearly 100 customers and employees last month at a Chipotle restaurant in Ventura County.
- Effort fails to block PG&E tax break for gas explosion fine Updated: Sep-03-15 8:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - An effort to block Pacific Gas and Electric Co. from getting a tax break on the $1.6 billion it was fined for the deadly 2010 San Bruno gas explosion has fallen short.
- Mayor announces plans to bring cruise line back to port city Updated: Sep-03-15 8:38 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - A mayor is negotiating to bring the cruise industry back to Alabama's port city.
- Mandel remembered as architect of modern Maryland Updated: Sep-03-15 8:04 pm
PIKESVILLE, Maryland - Maryland politicians from both parties remembered former Gov. Marvin Mandel on Thursday for his lasting innovations to state government and his quiet but highly effective talent for politics.
- Companies to stop 'revenge makeover' ads using ex-governor Updated: Sep-03-15 7:42 pm
PHOENIX - Two online marketing companies that ceased publishing ads depicting former Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer as an over-the-hill divorcee who needed a "revenge makeover" could still face legal action from her.
- The Latest: Falcons owner says Goodell protecting rights Updated: Sep-03-15 7:23 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on a federal judge's decision to overturn the NFL's four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the "Deflategate" scandal (all times Eastern):
- Sweet solution: Wellington horse manure finds a new home Updated: Sep-03-15 7:13 pm
WELLINGTON, Florida - Hold the spice, just sugar has made everything nice for Wellington's horse manure disposal - a once-bigger problem in the village.
- Judge dismisses challenge to Navy's land deal with state Updated: Sep-03-15 7:05 pm
TACOMA, Washington - A federal judge has dismissed a challenge to a Hood Canal land deal between the Navy and Washington state.
- Gov. Haley leading delegation to Germany for auto show Updated: Sep-03-15 7:00 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley will lead a nine-day economic development trip to Sweden and Germany to recruit jobs in the automotive industry, Commerce Secretary Bobby Hitt said Thursday.
- SMEPA will buy power from second Lamar County solar site Updated: Sep-03-15 7:00 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Origis Energy will build an additional 52 megawatts of solar energy capacity in Sumrall, selling the electricity produced there to South Mississippi Electric Power Association.
- Apple, Google bring smartphone functions to car dashboards Updated: Sep-03-15 6:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - Playing deejay with voice commands will get easier for more Americans this fall as some best-selling cars get updated with software that integrates smartphones into the dashboard.