- Greece enters uncharted territory after referendum 'no' vote Updated: Jul-05-15 10:50 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece lurched into uncharted territory and an uncertain future in Europe's common currency Sunday after voters overwhelmingly rejected demands by international creditors for more austerity measures in exchange for a bailout of its bankrupt economy.
- Most Asian markets fall after Greek results, but China rises Updated: Jul-05-15 10:34 pm
TOKYO - Asian markets mostly fell Monday as investors reacted to Greece's sound rejection of terms set by its international creditors, deepening uncertainties over its status as a member of the 19-nation eurozone. But Chinese shares rebounded after heavy losses last week.
- NC's spigot for Golden LEAF could turn back on again Updated: Jul-05-15 9:34 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Republicans at the General Assembly who once soured upon a foundation that used to get half of North Carolina's national tobacco settlement money may be coming around to embrace it, or at least accept it.
- Analysis: Credit rating agencies combing through La. budget Updated: Jul-05-15 7:26 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana lawmakers struck a budget deal that spared health care and colleges from deep cuts, lessened the reliance on quick fixes to stay afloat and won Gov. Bobby Jindal's signature. But was that enough to satisfy national credit rating agencies?
- Fears surface about mercury in Shasta Lake fish Updated: Jul-05-15 6:35 pm
SHASTA LAKE, California - Shasta Lake provides water to Sacramento and the crop-rich San Joaquin Valley more than 300 miles to the south.
- KU Hospital uses $12.5M grant to improve rural health care Updated: Jul-05-15 5:59 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - The University of Kansas Hospital is teaming up with 14 small hospitals and medical centers in the western part of the state to make improvements to rural health care.
- Grand Canyon commercial boaters eye alternative fuel Updated: Jul-05-15 5:51 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - A group of commercial boaters in northern Arizona are set on one day leading excursions along the Colorado River in greener fashion.
- California tax officials slam Blue Shield in audit Updated: Jul-05-15 4:03 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A decision to strip Blue Shield of California of its tax-exempt status was justified by an audit that outlines the nonprofit health insurer's stockpiling of $4 billion in surpluses, state tax officials said in a report.
- Years will be needed to gauge efforts to cut Lake Erie algae Updated: Jul-05-15 3:05 pm
PERRYSBURG, Ohio - State agriculture and environmental leaders have made a number of changes to attack toxic algae in western Lake Erie, most notably prohibiting farmers in northwestern Ohio from spreading manure on frozen and rain-soaked fields and requiring training before they can use commercial fertilizers.
- Denver police stumped by car-share drive-by shooting Updated: Jul-05-15 3:01 pm
DENVER - Denver police are stumped by a January drive-by shooting in which the suspects used fictitious names to rent Car2Go vehicles.
- Pet food maker Stella & Chewy's recalls some products Updated: Jul-05-15 2:34 pm
NEW YORK - Pet food maker Stella & Chewy's is recalling some of its products because a routine test found Listeria in a sample of its chicken freeze-dried dinner patties for dogs.
- New lodges replace old cabins at Yellowstone's Canyon area Updated: Jul-05-15 2:29 pm
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyoming - Five new lodges are under construction at Yellowstone National Park's Canyon Lodge that will replace 400 outdated cabins.
- Grant to help build new home for landing craft used in WWII Updated: Jul-05-15 2:23 pm
GROVEPORT, Ohio - A $25,000 state grant is helping preserve a World War II landing craft that ferried soldiers to battles in the Pacific.
- Las Vegas completing last straw to draw Lake Mead water Updated: Jul-05-15 2:16 pm
LAS VEGAS - It took $817 million, two starts, more than six years and one worker's life to drill a so-called "Third Straw" to make sure glittery casinos and sprawling suburbs of Las Vegas can keep getting drinking water from near the bottom of drought-stricken Lake Mead.
- Colorado Supreme Court to review bridge fee Updated: Jul-05-15 2:10 pm
GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado - The Colorado Supreme Court has agreed to review a 2009 vehicle fee approved by state lawmakers in a case that could determine the fate of millions of dollars in transportation funding.
- State must fix hundreds of fish-blocking culverts Updated: Jul-05-15 2:08 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state is under a federal court order to fix hundreds of barriers built under state roads and highways that block access for migrating salmon and thus interfere with Washington tribes' treaty-backed right to catch fish.
- Researchers find solution for devastating wheat midge Updated: Jul-05-15 1:26 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - Scientists have developed a wheat variety that they say is resistant to wheat midge, which has caused millions of dollars in damage to Montana crops in the last 10 years.
- Meth lab seizures drop in W.Va.; 123 busts so far this year Updated: Jul-05-15 1:22 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Methamphetamine lab seizures are down 20 percent in West Virginia compared to the first six months of 2014.
- Institutions like hospitals can help local mid-size farms Updated: Jul-05-15 1:04 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - At Oregon Health & Science University recently, the lunch offerings included sandwiches made with organic chicken breast - locally sourced - on focaccia bread, baked locally and delivered daily. Plus salad made from local greens. Not a pre-packaged, mass-produced item in sight.
- Egypt's currency drops to new low against the dollar Updated: Jul-05-15 1:04 pm
CAIRO - The Egyptian pound has fallen to a new low against the U.S. dollar, the second such drop in days, the country's central bank said Sunday, in a move that could help boost much-needed foreign investment.
- Some Hamptons villages seek limits on new construction Updated: Jul-05-15 1:02 pm
SOUTHAMPTON, New York - Mansions are as synonymous with the Hamptons as cocktail parties, manicured lawns and white sandy beaches.
- US-led coalition unleashes wave of airstrikes on Raqqa Updated: Jul-05-15 12:26 pm
BEIRUT - U.S.-led coalition aircraft unleashed a wave of airstrikes targeting the Islamic State group's stronghold of Raqqa in eastern Syria in what the coalition said Sunday was one of its most sustained aerial operations carried out in Syria to date.
- Artists' purchasing initiative shows minority-owned hurdles Updated: Jul-05-15 12:23 pm
PITTSBURGH - When Paulette Still left a career in banking to open Posy Flower Design and Event Decor, she expected to sacrifice a steady and hefty paycheck for the chance to be her own boss. She didn't expect the number of people who would challenge her entrepreneurship based strictly on her race.
- The Latest: 3 opinion polls: Greek 'no' vote will win Updated: Jul-05-15 12:13 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The latest from the bailout referendum in Greece (all times local):
- Historic Tampa cigar factory destroyed in fire Updated: Jul-05-15 12:07 pm
TAMPA, Florida - A historic Tampa cigar factory has been destroyed in a fire.