- AP source: Donaldson, Blue Jays nearing $28.65M, 2-year deal Updated: Feb-09-16 10:49 am
NEW YORK - AL MVP Josh Donaldson and the Toronto Blue Jays are nearing agreement on a $28.65 million, two-year contract, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.
- Ikea recalls ceiling lamps for risk of falling glass shades Updated: Feb-09-16 10:48 am
HELSINKI - Swedish furniture retailer Ikea is recalling two types of ceiling lamps because of a risk that the glass shades might fall and injure people.
- Global volume up for Coke, though Diet Coke fizzles Updated: Feb-09-16 10:44 am
ATLANTA - Coca-Cola's global soda volume rose in the fourth quarter, even as Diet Coke continued to suffer declines.
- 'Route 66' in Albuquerque sees fight over rapid transit Updated: Feb-09-16 10:42 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Albuquerque proposal to build a system of express buses and canopy-covered stations along its historic Route 66 is drawing opposition from shop owners.
- The Latest: Greek stock market sinks to lowest since 1989 Updated: Feb-09-16 10:41 am
LONDON - The latest on the turmoil afflicting global financial markets (all times local):
- After challenging holiday, Sears to speed up store closings Updated: Feb-09-16 10:36 am
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Illinois - Sears keeps pruning its business in a years-long makeover, a bid to transform itself from a 123-year-old retail store into a nimble, 21st century operator.
- Stocks stabilize after an early slide; Japan's Nikkei slumps Updated: Feb-09-16 10:33 am
U.S. stocks were moving between gains and losses in morning trading Tuesday as investors weighed the latest batch of company earnings news. Materials and technology companies were among the biggest risers as the market stabilized after an early slide. European markets fell following steep losses in Japan.
- Noranda Aluminum files for bankruptcy Updated: Feb-09-16 10:29 am
ST. LOUIS - One of North America's biggest makers of aluminum foil is seeking bankruptcy protection, saying it plans to halt production at a southeastern Missouri smelter within weeks.
- Flint gets $3M pledge; mayor, attorney general to speak Updated: Feb-09-16 10:28 am
FLINT, Michigan - General Motors and the United Auto Workers union plan to donate $3 million to support increased health and education services for Flint children who have been exposed to lead, officials announced Tuesday.
- New environmental quality leader faces big challenges Updated: Feb-09-16 10:15 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A shrinking staff, stagnant fees on industry and lagging public trust for an agency tasked with safeguarding the state's environment are some of the challenges facing new Department of Environmental Quality Secretary Chuck Carr Brown.
- US wholesale businesses trim stockpiles in December Updated: Feb-09-16 10:09 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. wholesale businesses cut their stockpiles and registered lower sales for the third straight month in December.
- The Latest: GM, UAW pledge $3M for Flint's water crisis Updated: Feb-09-16 10:06 am
FLINT, Michigan - The latest on developments in the lead contamination of Flint's water (all times local):
- NC regulator fines Duke Energy nearly $7M for coal ash spill Updated: Feb-09-16 9:58 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina environmental regulators say they're fining the country's largest electric company nearly $7 million for pollution related to a big spill of liquefied coal ash in 2014.
- CVS meets 4Q profit forecasts, reaffirms 2016 outlook Updated: Feb-09-16 9:57 am
CVS Health's fourth-quarter profit rose 13 percent, as acquisition gains helped the drugstore operator and pharmacy benefits manager meet Wall Street's earnings expectations.
- Service union says it has tentative Washington hospital deal Updated: Feb-09-16 9:53 am
WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania - A service workers union says it has reached a tentative contract with Washington Hospital in southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Shopping cart designed by Alabama woman gaining popularity Updated: Feb-09-16 9:48 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Caroline's Cart, a shopping cart for special needs children created by Alabama mom Drew Ann Long, will soon be found in Target stores nationwide.
- Oil supply seen outpacing demand, capping price Updated: Feb-09-16 9:48 am
PARIS - The International Energy Agency says oil supply is set to outpace demand this year, keeping a lid on any expected price increases.
- Fortis buying electric transmission company ITC for $6.9B Updated: Feb-09-16 9:47 am
NEW YORK - Canadian utility Fortis is buying electric transmission company ITC Holdings in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $6.9 billion as it looks to further diversify its business.
- Sanofi reports flat 2015 earnings Updated: Feb-09-16 9:45 am
PARIS - French drug maker Sanofi says its bottom line was roughly stable last year as it advanced efforts to reshape its drug portfolio and pursue research and development tie-ups in oncology and diabetes.
- 3 ex-trucking executives in Texas get prison for $16M fraud Updated: Feb-09-16 9:40 am
HOUSTON - The former head of a South Texas trucking company must serve eight years in prison over a nearly $16 million loan scam.
- Goodyear reports 4Q loss on hefty charge Updated: Feb-09-16 9:36 am
NEW YORK - The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. on Tuesday swung to a fourth-quarter loss on charges and tire sales fell, but the results still topped Wall Street expectations.
- Historic Pennsylvania bridge damaged by too-heavy truck open Updated: Feb-09-16 9:35 am
JEFFERSON, Pennsylvania - A historic southwestern Pennsylvania bridge damaged by an overweight truck has reopened to traffic.
- EPA plans meeting in Waterloo on contaminated factory site Updated: Feb-09-16 9:34 am
WATERLOO, Iowa - The Environmental Protection Agency has planned a meeting for next month to discuss cleanup of a former industrial site in Waterloo contaminated with chemicals and industrial solvents.
- Obama to release $4 trillion-plus budget for 2017 Updated: Feb-09-16 9:20 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is unveiling his eighth and final budget, a $4 trillion-plus proposal that's freighted with liberal policy initiatives and new and familiar tax hikes - all sent to a dismissive Republican-controlled Congress that simply wants to move on from his presidency.
- Put the hammer down: New Go-Kart track going up at the beach Updated: Feb-09-16 9:12 am
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - Some neighbors don't like the idea, but a go-kart track amusement park is being built and should open in Myrtle Beach by summer.