- Ohio attorney general inadvertently reveals run for governor Updated: May-26-16 12:56 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Mike DeWine, the state attorney general and a former U.S. senator, confirmed Thursday what political prognosticators have reported for months: He's running for governor.
- Sri Lanka's Cabinet approves office to learn fate of missing Updated: May-26-16 6:56 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's Cabinet has approved setting up an office to learn the fate of several thousands of people who went missing during the civil war that ended seven years ago, the foreign ministry said Thursday.
- 11 states sue over Obama's school transgender directive Updated: May-25-16 5:47 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas and 10 other states are suing the Obama administration over its directive to U.S. public schools to let transgender students use the bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- The Latest: Clinton wins Washington's Democratic primary Updated: May-24-16 11:29 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Latest on Washington state's presidential primaries (all times local):
- Belt-tightening in Brazil aimed at fighting economic crisis Updated: May-24-16 7:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's acting president announced austerity measures Tuesday aimed at pulling Latin America's largest economy from its worst crisis in decades, warning that a failure to act will mean "extraordinary hardship" for future generations.
- Finance official in Martinez administration to retire Updated: May-24-16 11:22 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A top finance official in the administration of Gov. Susana Martinez is retiring.
- 3 more Kentucky counties certified as work ready Updated: May-23-16 3:52 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Three more Kentucky communities have been certified as work ready.
- Trump takes 8 of 13 delegates at GOP Vermont convention Updated: May-22-16 12:35 pm
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vermont - Eight of 13 Vermont delegates elected during the Vermont Republican Convention to go to the national convention this summer are supporters of presumptive presidential GOP nominee Donald Trump.
- Civil rights activist, Carter official Patricia Derian dies Updated: May-20-16 10:04 pm
Patricia M. Derian, who actively supported Mississippi public school desegregation and served as assistant secretary of state for human rights during the Carter administration, has died.
- Israel defense chief quits, cites lack of trust in Netanyahu Updated: May-20-16 1:37 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's defense minister announced his resignation Friday, saying the governing party had been taken over by "extremist and dangerous elements" and that he no longer trusts Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Brazil's Temer promises to bring women to his cabinet Updated: May-19-16 7:04 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Acting President Michel Temer promised on Thursday that he will at some point have women in his currently all white-male Cabinet.
- Brazil president vows to fight ouster, but options limited Updated: May-19-16 2:02 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Hours after lawmakers voted to impeach Dilma Rousseff last week, Brazil's first female president blasted her enemies for making her "the victim of a great injustice" and promised a bruising fight to hold onto her mandate.
- Montenegro lawmakers approve government reshuffle Updated: May-19-16 2:44 am
PODGORICA, Montenegro - Montenegrin lawmakers have approved a government reshuffle to include opposition ministers as part of efforts to reduce political tensions as the tiny Balkan nation prepares to join NATO and faces general elections later this year.
- Bevin's choice for pension board declines appointment Updated: May-18-16 1:25 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A western Kentucky dermatologist who was selected to replace a state pension board's chairman has declined Gov. Matt Bevin's appointment.
- Philippine communist rebels welcome Cabinet post offer Updated: May-18-16 8:59 am
MANILA, Philippines - Communist rebel leaders welcomed on Wednesday a possible offer from the Philippines' presumptive president-elect of four Cabinet posts, raising the prospect of a government that includes Marxist guerrillas who have long demanded an end to the U.S. military presence and the redistribution of land.
- Sutherland to star in ABC thriller, part of new season Updated: May-17-16 2:26 pm
NEW YORK - Kiefer Sutherland will play a low-level Cabinet member who suddenly becomes president on a new ABC drama this fall, and the network plans to add a second night of comedy to its schedule.
- Election guide: Candidates and issues in Oregon's primary Updated: May-17-16 3:41 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - The presidential race generated a lot of enthusiasm among Oregonians, with about 160,000 adding their names to the rolls of the two major parties this year - but mostly Democrats.
- Israeli leaders clash over army's role in public discourse Updated: May-16-16 2:01 pm
JERUSALEM - A public spat between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his defense minister has exposed a simmering rift between Israel's security establishment and its hard-line government, pitting the Israeli leader in a risky showdown.
- Officials hold forum to discuss drug epidemic Updated: May-16-16 12:45 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State officials are hosting a community forum to educate people about the ongoing drug epidemic.
- AG: Obama lacks authority over transgender bathroom policy Updated: May-13-16 3:27 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota Attorney General Marty Jackley says President Obama doesn't have the authority to require schools to allow transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- Hezbollah condemns US sanctions on banks dealing with group Updated: May-12-16 2:43 pm
BEIRUT - Hezbollah's parliamentary bloc said Thursday that U.S. sanctions on banks that knowingly do business with the militant group could threaten Lebanon's financial sector, hinting that supporters may withdraw their money from local banks.
- Burr, Tillis urge unity within fractured North Carolina GOP Updated: May-07-16 8:51 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Top North Carolina elected leaders urged fellow Republicans gathering Saturday at their state convention to unify following a contentious presidential primary and the recent removal of the state party's chairman.
- Governor releases private emails dealing with state business Updated: May-06-16 3:14 pm
HELENA, Montana - Gov. Steve Bullock has used his private email account to communicate about a wide variety of official business, from proposed legislation to his increasingly strained relationship with the former lieutenant governor, according to hundreds of pages of emails released Friday.
- Irish Prime Minister Kenny re-elected after 70-day deadlock Updated: May-06-16 3:03 pm
DUBLIN - Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny won narrow re-election Friday on his fourth try, ending 70 days of deadlock and forging a novel but fragile minority government containing independent voices.
- South Sudan: Minister forced out of meeting over bow tie Updated: May-06-16 1:48 pm
JUBA, South Sudan - A South Sudanese government minister says the president ordered him to leave a Cabinet meeting of the new coalition government for wearing a bow tie.