- Flint crisis may help governor ease GOP doubt on Detroit aid Updated: Feb-12-16 2:43 am
LANSING, Michigan - Rick Snyder's standing as one of the GOP's most accomplished governors has taken a beating in the crisis over lead-contaminated water in Flint, Michigan. Democrats, especially those running for president, have pointed to his administration's mishandling of the city's switch to a cheaper water supply as an example of Republican cost-cutting run amok.
- Japan stocks dive after Europe, US sell-off Updated: Feb-12-16 1:41 am
TOKYO - Japan's main stock index dived Friday, leading other Asian markets lower, after a sell-off in banking shares roiled investors in the U.S. and Europe.
- Congress bans import of forced labor products Updated: Feb-12-16 1:30 am
A bill headed for President Obama this week includes a provision that would ban U.S. imports of fish caught by slaves in Southeast Asia, gold mined by children in Africa and garments sewn by abused women in Bangladesh, closing a loophole in an 85-year-old tariff law that has failed to keep products of forced and child labor out of America.
- FIFA candidates head to Miami to meet CONCACAF in crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 11:07 pm
The five FIFA presidential candidates meet in Miami on Friday with the election's most inscrutable voters who are deep in their own leadership race amid a financial crisis.
- Venezuela top court overrules Congress on economic emergency Updated: Feb-11-16 9:23 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's Supreme Court overruled the opposition-controlled congress on Thursday and granted broad decree powers to President Nicolas Maduro.
- Opponents urge lawmakers to snuff out tobacco tax increase Updated: Feb-11-16 8:39 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's tobacco tax could more than double under a bill that is drawing praise from health officials but strong criticism from retailers, grocers and smokers.
- Hearing focuses on proposed ban on some animal products Updated: Feb-11-16 6:03 pm
BOSTON - While both critics and supporters of a proposed ban on the sale of food products from farms that keep animals in overly restrictive cages say the measure would likely raise egg prices in Massachusetts, supporters contend consumers would barely notice the increases.
- Congress gives final OK to banning local Internet taxes Updated: Feb-11-16 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress voted Thursday to permanently bar state and local governments from taxing access to the Internet, as lawmakers leapt at an election-year chance to demonstrate their opposition to imposing levies on online service.
- Puerto Rico pushes tax incentives for wealthy amid crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 5:14 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's government is trying to convince hundreds of wealthy investors to move to the U.S. territory, hoping they could help lift it out of a deepening economic crisis.
- Kentucky insurance commissioner approves Humana-Aetna merger Updated: Feb-11-16 4:53 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Aetna's plan to take over Louisville-based health care giant Humana has been approved, officials said.
- What a recession does to your money Updated: Feb-11-16 4:29 pm
NEW YORK - If we are indeed in the midst of a recession - and we won't know we're in one until well after it's begun - stocks likely still have a long way to go down.
- Governor frustrated by lack of effort to fill budget hole Updated: Feb-11-16 4:27 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - About halfway through the 60-day legislative session, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin is expressing frustration that lawmakers haven't considered options to plug a massive budget hole.
- Boeing stock plunges on report of SEC accounting probe Updated: Feb-11-16 4:23 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of the Boeing Co. plummeted Thursday after a report said the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating the aircraft manufacturer's accounting.
- Shares of travel websites Expedia and TripAdvisor soar Updated: Feb-11-16 3:50 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of Expedia and TripAdvisor soared Thursday, even though the travel website companies reported differing results for the fourth quarter.
- Double the chaos: Amped-up funds flourish amid turmoil Updated: Feb-11-16 3:43 pm
NEW YORK - That second scoop or slice makes everything so much better. So why not double the fun investing, too?
- Portugal's fellow euro states keep wary eye on its budget Updated: Feb-11-16 3:42 pm
BRUSSELS - Portugal's fellow states in the 19-nation eurozone are keeping a wary eye on its new government's plans to roll back budget austerity measures, with the bloc's top executive and Germany both warning the country not to miss deficit targets.
- Economy focus of S. African nation speech, despite heckling Updated: Feb-11-16 3:15 pm
JOHANNESBURG - South Africa's struggling economy was the focus point of the president's state-of-the-nation address on Thursday, which went ahead despite disruptions and heckling from opposition politicians.
- Yellen: Too early to determine impact of global developments Updated: Feb-11-16 2:59 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen cautioned Thursday that global economic pressures pose risks to the U.S. economy but said it's too soon to know whether those risks are severe enough to alter the Fed's interest-rate policies.
- Agencies push back on proposal to double lodging tax Updated: Feb-11-16 2:56 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Portland government agencies are pushing against a proposal to double Oregon's lodging tax in preparation for the 2021 world track and field championships in Eugene.
- Questions grow over banks as profit warnings pile up Updated: Feb-11-16 2:44 pm
PARIS - Questions are growing over the financial health of banks, particularly in Europe and the U.S., as they face a toxic mix of low economic growth, bad loans and squeezed earnings.
- Cyprus president: peace talks headway on governance, economy Updated: Feb-11-16 2:26 pm
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Peace talks aimed at reunifying ethnically split Cyprus have made significant progress on how power will be shared with breakaway Turkish Cypriots and how the economy will function under a federation, the country's president said Thursday.
- The Latest: Bevin says his focus is fixing 'fiscal crisis' Updated: Feb-11-16 1:03 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Latest on former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear's effort to oppose Republican Gov. Matt Bevin's effort to dismantle the state's health care program known as kynect (all times local):
- L'Oreal 2015 sales up across markets, net profit down Updated: Feb-11-16 12:53 pm
PARIS - Leading global cosmetics company L'Oreal saw its sales grow 12 percent last year, with increases across old and new markets despite difficulties in Brazil and global economic uncertainty.
- Cuomo welcomes Italian president to NY, plans trade mission Updated: Feb-11-16 12:23 pm
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he will lead a trade trip to Italy, a country that he says has a special relationship with his state and the nation.
- Morgan Stanley to pay $3.2B over contributors to '08 crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 12:17 pm
ALBANY, New York - Morgan Stanley will pay $3.2 billion in a settlement over bank practices that contributed to the 2008 financial crisis, including misrepresentations about the value of mortgage-backed securities, authorities announced Thursday.