- Eurozone back in inflation territory as oil prices rise Updated: Jun-02-15 6:10 am
LONDON - For the first time this year, consumer prices across the 19-country eurozone are rising.
- Israeli bank chief warns about demographic economic fallout Updated: Jun-02-15 5:47 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's central bank chief said Monday that demographic changes such as aging and the growth of Arab and ultra-Orthodox Jewish populations were threatening the country's long-term growth prospects and called for a continued increase in their employment.
- India's central bank cuts key interest rate to boost growth Updated: Jun-02-15 5:38 am
NEW DELHI - India's central bank cut a key interest rate by a quarter percentage point Tuesday, the third such reduction this year in support of government efforts to boost growth.
- Abu Dhabi's Etihad hits back at unfair competition charges Updated: Jun-02-15 5:10 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates' national carrier has formally submitted a document to the United States government rebutting allegations by U.S. carriers that it receives unfair subsidies.
- Spain PM trumpets drop in numbers of registered unemployed Updated: Jun-02-15 4:37 am
MADRID - Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy is trumpeting news of a big drop in the number of unemployed citizens as a reason for voters to support his party in general elections he must call by the end of the year.
- More older Americans are being buried by housing debt Updated: Jun-02-15 3:39 am
WASHINGTON - Al and Saundra Karp have found an unconventional way to raise money and help save their Miami-area home from foreclosure: They're lining up gigs for their family jazz band.
- GOP presidential candidates in Florida for economic summit Updated: Jun-02-15 3:05 am
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida - Six Republican presidential candidates or potential candidates will speak at an economic summit organized by Florida Gov. Rick Scott.
- Last-minute budget changes made amid corporate concerns Updated: Jun-02-15 1:23 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers made last-minute changes Monday night to a proposed two-year, $40 billion Democratic budget that had prompted several major employers to sharply criticize proposed tax increases, with two raising the possibility of leaving the state
- California Senate approves another minimum wage hike Updated: Jun-01-15 11:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate on Monday approved a plan to again raise the state's minimum wage, lifting it to $13 an hour in 2017, then tying it to the rate of inflation after that.
- Asian stocks mixed as markets weigh Greece, US growth Updated: Jun-01-15 10:59 pm
Asian stocks were mixed Tuesday as markets weighed a possible rebound in U.S. growth against doubts about Greece's ability to make debt payments and stay in the euro currency bloc.
- House committee proposes $150M for roads, $70M for Volvo Updated: Jun-01-15 8:07 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The House's budget-writing committee advanced Monday plans to put $150 million of additional revenue toward fixing existing roads and $70 million toward meeting South Carolina's promises to Volvo.
- House passes bill to add 'flexibility' to fishing law Updated: Jun-01-15 7:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Defying a White House veto threat, the Republican-controlled House on Monday approved a bill to give regional fisheries managers more power to set local fishing levels in federal waters.
- Obama muses about his legacy, offers counterpoint to GOP Updated: Jun-01-15 5:08 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is not shy about defining his achievements and casting them in the most positive light, yet he is loath to talk about his "legacy."
- US consumer spending flat in April as income, savings rise Updated: Jun-01-15 4:05 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers held back from spending more in April, deciding instead to channel income gains into savings.
- Southwest Steel to expand Newport plant, add 100 jobs Updated: Jun-01-15 3:04 pm
NEWPORT, Arkansas - Southwest Steel Processing announced Monday that it plans an $18 million expansion of its plant in Newport and to add 100 jobs at the facility.
- Grimes travels to China for economic development trip Updated: Jun-01-15 2:05 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is in China this week to tout Kentucky's business climate and economic development opportunities.
- Pool industry touts water savings in California drought Updated: Jun-01-15 1:58 pm
ORANGE, California - Leigh McDonough stood in her backyard on a hot spring day and listened to the steady shush-shush-shush of two garden hoses filling her new pool and hot tub with water. Her family installed the 21,000-gallon pool despite a state mandate to cut overall water consumption by 25 percent amid a crushing, four-year drought.
- Movie theater chain AMC discloses government investigations Updated: Jun-01-15 12:29 pm
NEW YORK - Movie theater operator AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. disclosed Monday that it received two requests for documents from U.S. agencies relating to an investigation of anticompetitive conduct.
- US manufacturing growth accelerates for 1st time in 6 months Updated: Jun-01-15 11:42 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. manufacturing growth accelerated in May for the first time in six months, propelled by more new orders and an increase in hiring.
- May economic report suggests slow growth ahead in Midwest Updated: Jun-01-15 11:32 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Slower economic growth is likely through the end of the third quarter this year for nine Midwestern and Plains states, according to a report issued Monday.
- US construction jumped 2.2 percent in April Updated: Jun-01-15 10:18 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending climbed in April to the highest level in more than six years, fueled by healthy gains in housing, government spending and non-residential construction.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Jun-01-15 9:04 am
The Detroit News. May 26, 2015
- South Korea, China sign free trade deal Updated: Jun-01-15 5:52 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea and China signed a free trade deal Monday that will remove tariffs on more than 90 percent of goods over two decades.
- Surveys show Chinese manufacturing remained weak in May Updated: Jun-01-15 12:08 am
HONG KONG - China's factory activity remained subdued last month with both export demand and employment contracting, according to an official survey Monday that adds pressure on Beijing for more economic stimulus.
- Kansas behind in private-sector job growth Updated: May-31-15 2:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A report shows that private-sector job growth in Kansas has lagged behind other states in the region.