- Chinese auto supplier to build headquarters in Detroit area Updated: Aug-31-15 5:10 pm
NORTHVILLE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has announced a Chinese auto supplier will build a U.S. headquarters and technical center in southeastern Michigan.
- US stocks close out their worst month in 3 years Updated: Aug-31-15 4:54 pm
NEW YORK - August was a brutal month for investors.
- Massive gas find promises to ease Egypt's fuel crisis Updated: Aug-31-15 4:43 pm
CAIRO - The discovery of a huge gas field off Egypt's coast promises to ease a long-running fuel crisis and boost the economy after years of unrest, but it will take years to develop and won't bring Gulf-style riches to the Arab world's most populous country, experts said Monday.
- Business interests donate $2.1 million for Pence travel Updated: Aug-31-15 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Republican Gov. Mike Pence's travel at home and abroad to promote Indiana as a haven for business has been paid for by a collection of powerful interests that donated over $2.1 million to the state's economic development efforts over the past two years, state figures show.
- Investors are fleeing once-popular emerging markets Updated: Aug-31-15 3:32 pm
NEW YORK - If you think investors in U.S. stocks have had it rough, consider the hapless folks who followed Wall Street's advice to buy emerging-market stocks.
- Correction: The Month Ahead story Updated: Aug-31-15 12:35 pm
In a story Aug. 28, about upcoming events, The Associated Press reported erroneously the dates of business events expected in the first week in September.
- Economy boosts Portuguese government's re-election bid Updated: Aug-31-15 7:04 am
LISBON, Portugal - Economic news is continuing to give heart to Portugal's center-right government as it aims for re-election in October.
- Eurozone inflation stable at low rate of 0.2 percent Updated: Aug-31-15 6:16 am
BRUSSELS - Inflation in the 19-nation eurozone was stable in August at an annual rate of 0.2 percent, an official report shows - another weak figure that may help push the European Central Bank toward doing more economic stimulus.
- Afghan airfields built for war seen as economic hubs Updated: Aug-31-15 2:07 am
KANDAHAR AIR FIELD, Afghanistan - It is a striking vision for a country torn to pieces by war and jihadi insurrection: a series of airports, built by NATO to fight the Taliban, are being handed over to the Afghan government in a civil aviation upgrade that optimists hope will fuel not only regional trade but even tourism.
- Doubts about China's economic leadership sap confidence Updated: Aug-30-15 12:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The fear that gripped financial markets this month is a stark one: That China's economy might be slipping into a decline that could persist for years.
- How Atlanta became the Hollywood of the South Updated: Aug-29-15 5:05 pm
ATLANTA - The city is on fire.
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer keeps open possibility of Sept. hike Updated: Aug-29-15 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer left the door open Saturday for a Fed rate increase in September, saying the factors that have kept inflation below the central bank's target level have likely begun to fade.
- Wyoming Ethanol to suspend operations Updated: Aug-29-15 1:17 pm
TORRINGTON, Wyoming - The only ethanol plant in Wyoming will shut down because it can't compete with lower gasoline prices, an official says.
- Analysis: JLTV pursuit offers lesson for future deals Updated: Aug-29-15 1:09 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas' failure to land a major military vehicle contract is a disappointment for officials who hoped to tout another "superproject" in the state. But it's not the setback that other missed economic deals have been, nor will it prompt the same level of soul-searching.
- Sandoval's back from European trade mission. What's next? Updated: Aug-29-15 12:26 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Gov. Brian Sandoval and more than 60 business, government and education officials recently returned from a three-week trade mission to England, Ireland, Germany, Poland and Italy. The visit included meetings with dignitaries, tours of car factories and receptions bringing together Nevada and European tourism officials.
- Experts say tough talk on China overlooks economic realities Updated: Aug-29-15 3:17 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - If there was ever a week for the Republican presidential candidates to talk tough on China, this was it. Spurred by the stock market's wild ride, they lashed out at the world's most populous nation.
- Brazil recession: GDP plunges 1.9 percent in second quarter Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The bottom seems to have fallen out of Brazil's economy, with the government reporting Friday that the gross domestic product plunged 1.9 percent in the second quarter alone, once again throwing the nation into a technical recession.
- US oil prices climb again after Thursday's big jump Updated: Aug-28-15 5:02 pm
NEW YORK - Oil prices surged again Friday, a day after recording their biggest gain in more than six years.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Tennessee governor leading trade mission to Israel Updated: Aug-28-15 4:19 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam is headed on a trade mission to Israel on Saturday.
- Brenham in line for a federal grant to foster new jobs Updated: Aug-28-15 4:02 pm
BRENHAM, Texas - Brenham is in line for a federal grant of more than $960,000 to help strengthen workforce training and stimulate job creation in the home of Blue Bell ice cream.
- The Latest: Survivor expresses condolences for TV workers Updated: Aug-28-15 1:36 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The latest on the on-air killing of two TV station employees in Virginia (all times local):
- A Q&A with Wall Street's top psychiatrist on market turmoil Updated: Aug-28-15 12:48 pm
NEW YORK - When it seems like the stock market has lost its mind, big banks and investment firms often turn to one particular psychiatrist: Richard Peterson, CEO of MarketPsych, a firm that applies research from behavioral science to financial markets.
- Survey: Plunging stock prices hit US consumer sentiment Updated: Aug-28-15 11:41 am
WASHINGTON - Plummeting stock prices have taken a toll on U.S. consumer confidence, though there are signs the setback may be temporary.
- Regis shares fall on weak 4th quarter earnings report Updated: Aug-28-15 11:25 am
EDINA, Minnesota - Shares of Regis Corp. dropped 10 percent in morning trading on Friday after the hair salon owner reported a continued decline in quarterly revenue.