- Building worker dies in fall at $147 million Hamptons estate Updated: May-31-16 6:18 pm
NEW YORK - A construction worker fell to his death Tuesday at a $147 million oceanfront East Hampton estate that was among the most expensive residential properties sold in the U.S., authorities said.
- Head of Cuomo's Start-Up NY job creation program to depart Updated: May-31-16 6:13 pm
ALBANY, New York - The leader of one of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's signature economic development initiatives is leaving the administration for a job with a Connecticut-based developer.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: McConnell dishes on Obama, conservatives Updated: May-31-16 6:06 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is condescending. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid veers from friendly in private to nasty before TV cameras. And one of Washington's leading conservatives backstabs fellow Republicans.
- Senate backs even more in reserves, merit-based pay raises Updated: May-31-16 6:05 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Senate Republicans say their North Carolina government budget proposal puts even more money aside in reserve to soften economic downturns than the House spending plan did.
- Obama to find Indiana county still dependent on RV industry Updated: May-31-16 6:04 pm
ELKHART, Indiana - President Barack Obama came to Elkhart County less than a month after he took office, visiting the Indiana manufacturing center that was then struggling in the depths of the Great Recession to highlight his economic policies.
- GOP's Portman releases TV ads in US Senate race in Ohio Updated: May-31-16 5:16 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - U.S. Sen. Rob Portman touts his efforts to tackle heroin addiction in the first statewide television ads of his 2016 re-election campaign to be aired beginning Wednesday.
- US stocks struggle as energy companies fall with oil prices Updated: May-31-16 5:08 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stock indexes struggled to a mixed close Tuesday as energy companies fell with the price of oil, overcoming gains in utilities and phone companies.
- Study: Haskell university has $23.1 million economic impact Updated: May-31-16 4:12 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - A study commissioned by Haskell Indian Nations University says the school is good for the Lawrence-area economy.
- Markets Right Now: Stocks struggle to a mixed close Updated: May-31-16 4:09 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on developments in global financial markets (all times local):
- Richmond couple get probation in stimulus fraud case Updated: May-31-16 3:27 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Richmond couple escaped prison time for defrauding the federal economic stimulus program.
- Correction: The Battle Over Beer story Updated: May-31-16 3:00 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - In a story May 29 about the sale of beer in Pennsylvania, The Associated Press, relying on information from the governor's office, erroneously reported the number of convenience stores that sell gas and were licensed to sell takeout six-packs. Seven more were licensed, not nine.
- US consumer confidence slips in May Updated: May-31-16 2:13 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer confidence fell for a second month in May to the lowest level since November.
- Kenya president meets South Korean president for trade talks Updated: May-31-16 12:21 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - South Korea's President Park Geun-hye met Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta Tuesday and discussed the trade imbalance between the two countries on the second day of her three-day visit to Kenya.
- US consumer spending scores biggest jump in 6 years Updated: May-31-16 11:37 am
WASHINGTON - Consumer spending surged in April by the largest amount in more than six years, led by a big jump in purchases of autos and other durable goods.
- Puerto Rico's tourist industry feels economic sting of Zika Updated: May-31-16 9:48 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - It was the wedding of one of her best friends, and Natalie Kao was going to be a bridesmaid in a fun, tropical setting on a small island just off the east coast of Puerto Rico. But the prevalence of the Zika virus across the U.S. territory gave her pause.
- US home prices rise in March as spring buying season begins Updated: May-31-16 9:37 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices kept climbing in March as the spring home buying season began, but so far the higher costs haven't thwarted sales.
- Scandal-hit Volkswagen makes profit despite scandal Updated: May-31-16 9:09 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - German automaker Volkswagen saw its net profit fall 19 percent in the first three months of the year - but showed it can still make money even as it grapples with a costly scandal over cars rigged to cheat on diesel emissions tests.
- India's economy grew 7.6 percent in last fiscal year Updated: May-31-16 8:51 am
NEW DELHI - India says its economy grew 7.6 percent in the fiscal year that ended March 31 and a stronger 7.9 percent in the last quarter of the year, keeping its position as the world's fastest-growing major economy.
- EU drug agency: Ecstasy is making a comeback among the young Updated: May-31-16 8:22 am
LISBON, Portugal - Ecstasy is becoming popular again in the European Union, with online sales and targeted marketing helping to drive the revival among a new generation of users, the EU drug agency said Tuesday.
- Abe weathers no-confidence motion over faltering economy Updated: May-31-16 7:17 am
TOKYO - Prime Minister Shinzo Abe easily weathered a no-confidence motion Tuesday submitted by opposition parties, as his allies agreed on postponing a sales tax hike to avoid further shocks to the stuttering economic recovery.
- Eurozone inflation remains negative but poised for oil boost Updated: May-31-16 6:53 am
LONDON - Consumer prices across the 19-country eurozone fell again in May but look set to rise in the months ahead due to the recent pick-up in oil prices - an outlook that means the European Central Bank will likely refrain from announcing more stimulus measures this week.
- EU court adviser: Sanctions on Russian firms legally valid Updated: May-31-16 6:27 am
LUXEMBOURG - A senior adviser to the European Court of Justice says European Union economic sanctions imposed on Russian companies are valid in the main under the EU's common security and defense policy.
- German unemployment down to 6 percent in May Updated: May-31-16 4:29 am
BERLIN - Official figures show unemployment in Germany dropped to 6 percent in May, underlining the strength of the labor market in Europe's largest economy.
- Gulf economic slowdown sees foreign workers trapped by debts Updated: May-31-16 2:25 am
DOHA, Qatar - The economic slowdown gripping countries across the Persian Gulf can be seen in layoffs, slowed construction projects and government cutbacks. For the millions of foreign workers drawn by brighter job prospects, it can have a far-darker side if they find themselves deep in debt.
- Wal-Mart steps up online efforts in China as a key to future Updated: May-31-16 12:14 am
SHANGHAI - Wal-Mart's tiny warehouse in eastern Shanghai doesn't look like much. But it's a key part of the company's strategy to win over grocery customers in China who are fast heading online.