- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle old dispute Updated: Jul-31-15 9:16 pm
NEW DELHI - At the stroke of midnight Friday, tens of thousands of stateless people who were stranded for decades along the poorly defined border between India and Bangladesh will finally get to choose their citizenship, as the two countries swapped more than 150 pockets of land to settle the demarcation line dividing them.
- UN nuclear chief to talk to Senate critics of Iran nuke deal Updated: Jul-31-15 4:15 pm
VIENNA - U.S. Senators who accuse the Obama administration of making secret deals with Iran that go beyond the publicly known nuclear pact will get a chance next week to question the head of the U.N. agency said to be linked to the alleged clandestine documents
- UN says too soon for new Syrian peace conference Updated: Jul-29-15 8:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. point man on Syria said Wednesday it's too soon for another peace conference in Geneva and invited Syrians to hold intensive preparatory talks on key issues including a political transition and fighting terrorism.
- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- Iran says will hold 'high-level' talks with EU Updated: Jul-28-15 1:13 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's foreign minister said Tuesday that "high-level" talks will soon be launched with the European Union following a nuclear agreement reached with world powers earlier this month.
- The Latest: Kerry's nuke deal testimony translated in Iran Updated: Jul-28-15 12:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments on Obama administration officials' testimony Tuesday before Congress on the Iran nuclear deal (all times local EDT):
- Mozambican president visits region troubled by clashes Updated: Jul-28-15 12:29 pm
MAPUTO, Mozambique - Mozambique's president travelled to the country's northwest where fighting between government troops and opposition fighters has forced hundreds to flee to neighboring Malawi, state-run radio reported on Tuesday.
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest from NATO meeting on Islamic State group and related developments (all times local):
- Sky trade Sylvia Fowles to Lynx as part of 3-team deal Updated: Jul-27-15 5:50 pm
Sylvia Fowles only wanted to play for one team this season - the Minnesota Lynx. The Chicago Sky finally were able to make it happen.
- Hundreds of Mozambicans cross into Malawi to flee fighting Updated: Jul-27-15 11:21 am
MAPUTO, Mozambique - Hundreds of Mozambicans have fled into neighboring Malawi after renewed fighting between government troops and fighters loyal to the opposition party Renamo, officials from both countries said Monday.
- Colombia suspends raids on FARC camps following rebel truce Updated: Jul-25-15 10:43 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's government is suspending aerial bombings of guerrilla camps in a bid to de-escalate fighting and breathe new life into struggling peace talks.
- In shift, Turkish jets strike Islamic State targets in Syria Updated: Jul-24-15 2:52 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In a major tactical shift, Turkish warplanes struck Islamic State group targets across the border in Syria on Friday, a day after IS militants fired at a Turkish military outpost. A Syrian rights group said the airstrikes killed nine IS fighters.
- Trade deal wipes out tariffs on more than 200 tech products Updated: Jul-24-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Dozens of countries have agreed to abolish duties on more than 200 technology products - from advanced computer chips to GPS devices, printer cartridges and video-game consoles.
- Kerry: Agreement on Iran issue only alternative to force Updated: Jul-24-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that if Congress disapproves of the Iranian nuclear deal, it will undermine President Barack Obama's ability to act throughout the world.
- Mississippi murderer's lawsuit stalling execution Updated: Jul-24-15 8:41 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The execution of Mississippi's longest-serving death row inmate is being held up over a challenge to the state's lethal injection protocol.
- Myanmar ethnic peace talks recess without peace agreement Updated: Jul-24-15 5:20 am
YANGON, Myanmar - A three-day round of talks between the government and leaders of ethnic rebel groups concluded Friday without a sought-after ceasefire draft agreement to end decades of fighting.
- Analysis: Like Iran, pacts with USSR ignored foe's behavior Updated: Jul-24-15 3:26 am
WASHINGTON - Critics of the Iran nuclear deal claim it is flawed, among many reasons, because it does not demand that Tehran also change its behavior at home and abroad. That complaint ignores the United States' long history of striking arms control agreements with the Soviet Union, a far more dangerous enemy.
- Turkey allows US to use key air base to strike Islamic State Updated: Jul-24-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Turkey has agreed to let the U.S. military launch airstrikes against the Islamic State from a key air base near the Syrian border, senior U.S. officials said Thursday, giving a boost to the U.S.-led coalition while drawing Turkey deeper into the conflict.
- Human rights groups criticize both 2022 Winter Olympic bids Updated: Jul-23-15 9:26 am
Watchdog groups criticized the human rights records of China and Kazakhstan on Thursday, just over a week before the IOC decides on whether to award the 2022 Winter Olympics to Beijing or Almaty.
- UN endorses Iran nuclear deal with 6 world powers Updated: Jul-20-15 5:34 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council on Monday unanimously endorsed the landmark deal to rein in Iran's nuclear program and authorized measures leading to the end of U.N. sanctions, but also approved a provision that would automatically reinstate the harsh measures if Tehran reneges on its promises.
- US Pentagon chief tries to assure Israel after Iran deal Updated: Jul-20-15 3:22 pm
HUSSEIN LOOKOUT, Israel - On a hilltop lookout near Israel's border with Lebanon, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter offered personal assurances Monday that the U.S. will help Israel counter Iranian support for the militant group Hezbollah. He called it one example of how the U.S. can support the Jewish state in the aftermath of the Iran nuclear deal.
- Nuclear deal has companies eyeing Iranian opportunities anew Updated: Jul-18-15 12:36 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The nuclear deal is done. Now it's time to talk business.
- After diplomatic disappointments, Iran deal vindicates Kerry Updated: Jul-18-15 8:01 am
WASHINGTON - For John Kerry, vindication came at midnight.
- White House seeks support at home and abroad for Iran deal Updated: Jul-16-15 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - At home and abroad, the White House courted support for a landmark nuclear deal with Iran on Thursday as congressional leaders in both parties pointed toward a politically charged showdown this fall over Republican attempts to scuttle the agreement.