- Asia stocks down for 3rd day, Japan drops 2.4 percent Updated: Feb-09-16 10:29 pm
Asian stock markets fell for a third consecutive day Wednesday, beset by nerves about shaky global growth, falling oil prices and possible capital shortfalls at major European banks.
- Parents push Hawaii lawmakers for pesticide buffer zones Updated: Feb-09-16 9:18 pm
HONOLULU - Concerned parents are calling on Hawaii lawmakers to establish buffer zones around schools to protect their children from chemicals found in pesticides.
- Wisconsin landowners sue Enbridge over spill insurance Updated: Feb-09-16 8:43 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A group of Wisconsin landowners is suing Enbridge to force the company to carry spill insurance on a pipeline that will carry Canadian tar sands oil across the state.
- Sports costs at ESPN weigh down Disney's Force-ful quarter Updated: Feb-09-16 7:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - ESPN, the sports network that drives Disney's profit engine, has hit a soft patch. Subscribers have fallen by about 7.2 million over the last three years, according to Nielsen, and it's coming off a round of layoffs in the latest quarter. As more people cut the cord to watch programming online, its perch on top of the pay TV empire is looking unsteady at best.
- The Latest: Ex-execs of Haslam-owned chain charged Updated: Feb-09-16 7:54 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Latest on the case against the former president of the truck stop chain Flying J (all times local):
- Canadian Pacific wants vote on Norfolk Southern deal Updated: Feb-09-16 7:52 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Canadian Pacific plans to ask Norfolk Southern shareholders whether they want the two railroads to pursue a merger.
- Haslam-owned chain exec advised 'say one thing, do another' Updated: Feb-09-16 7:51 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A former top executive of the truck stop chain owned by Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam advised sales staff to "Say one thing, do another," when it came to dealing with customers, according to an indictment.
- Daimler recalling 840,000 vehicles in US for Takata air bags Updated: Feb-09-16 7:21 pm
DETROIT - Daimler AG is recalling 840,000 vehicles in the U.S. because they have potentially defective driver's side air bags made by Takata Corp.
- Viacom CEO defends self in testy exchange on 1Q results Updated: Feb-09-16 7:10 pm
LOS ANGELES - Viacom Inc. CEO Philippe Dauman defended himself in a testy exchange with analysts during a quarterly earnings conference call Tuesday after the media company behind MTV and Paramount Pictures missed revenue expectations for the fifth quarter in a row.
- Martin Shkreli sued by artist over Wu-Tang Clan album Updated: Feb-09-16 6:27 pm
NEW YORK - A Long Island artist sued ex-pharmaceutical CEO Martin Shkreli and others Tuesday over the use of his art in a Wu-Tang Clan album, saying he never expected portraits he posted on a fan blog two years ago to be used without his permission.
- Former Tyco CEO named board chairman of ex-prisoners group Updated: Feb-09-16 6:22 pm
NEW YORK - A former business titan convicted more than a decade ago in a notorious corporate fraud case that featured headline-grabbing tales of excessive spending is now board chairman of a New York City nonprofit that helps ex-prisoners re-enter society, the group announced Tuesday.
- FDA panel backs lower-cost version of J&J's top-selling drug Updated: Feb-09-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health advisers on Tuesday endorsed a lower-cost version of Johnson & Johnson's blockbuster Remicade, a pricey biotech medicine used to treat a number of inflammatory diseases.
- Nation's second-largest food-service firm files to go public Updated: Feb-09-16 5:59 pm
The nation's second-largest food-service distributor has filed papers for an initial stock offering.
- The Latest: FBI chief says encryption blocks investigations Updated: Feb-09-16 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the worldwide threat assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies (all times local):
- A look at Obama's final budget proposal Updated: Feb-09-16 5:26 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama proposed a record $4.1 trillion budget on Tuesday. Here's a look at each agency and department:
- Spirit beats 4Q profit forecasts Updated: Feb-09-16 5:25 pm
MIRAMAR, Florida - Shares of Spirit Airlines Inc. rose Tuesday after the discount carrier reported that its fourth-quarter income jumped 33 percent as cheaper fuel offset lower average fares.
- Ikea recalls ceiling lamps for risk of falling glass shades Updated: Feb-09-16 4:52 pm
HELSINKI - Swedish furniture retailer Ikea is recalling two types of ceiling lamps because of a risk that the glass shades might fall and injure people.
- Agencies contend Facebook is breaching French privacy laws Updated: Feb-09-16 4:42 pm
PARIS - Two agencies contend Facebook is breaching privacy laws in France by tracking and using the personal data of more than 30 million users, as well as non-users who are browsing the Internet.
- Detroit native starts online marketplace for high-end items Updated: Feb-09-16 4:39 pm
DETROIT - A new company launched by a Detroit native offers an online portal similar to the stock market for the buying and selling of high-end, limited edition products.
- Disney beats Street 1Q forecasts Updated: Feb-09-16 4:37 pm
BURBANK, California _ The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) on Tuesday reported fiscal first-quarter net income of $2.88 billion.
- Monsanto pays $80 million to settle accounting charges Updated: Feb-09-16 4:19 pm
Monsanto will pay an $80 million penalty and several executives will pay smaller amounts to settle federal allegations that the agribusiness giant misstated its earnings by not properly disclosing the costs of a rebate program for its Roundup weed-killer.
- Electrolux gives up tax breaks to expand North American HQ Updated: Feb-09-16 4:10 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Appliance-maker Electrolux is backtracking from plans announced two years ago to expand its North American headquarters in Charlotte and add more than 800 jobs.
- Alpha says lenders offer $500M for coal producer's assets Updated: Feb-09-16 3:56 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Alpha Natural Resources said it has received a $500 million offer from existing lenders for the potential sale of the bankrupt coal producer's core assets.
- Paris secures sponsors; presents logo for 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Feb-09-16 3:48 pm
PARIS - Paris ramped up its bid for the 2024 Olympics on Tuesday, securing about 8 million euros ($8.9 million) in four sponsorship deals and presenting its Eiffel Tower-shaped logo in a ceremony on the Champs Elysees.
- Former Adelson casino exec takes dismissal case to US court Updated: Feb-09-16 3:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - A former executive in billionaire casino magnate Sheldon Adelson's empire is asking a federal court in Nevada to rule on a continuing legal fight over his 2010 dismissal as head of operations in the Chinese gambling enclave of Macau.