- Visits to Great Smoky Mountains Park up 8 percent from 2014 Updated: Jul-28-15 9:19 am
GATLINBURG, Tennessee - Great Smoky Mountains National Park says more than 4.3 million people visited between January and June, an 8 percent increase from the first half of 2014.
- White House Notebook: Third term? Obama says no thanks Updated: Jul-28-15 9:19 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Could President Barack Obama win a third term in office? He's convinced that he could, but would really rather not.
- UPS 2Q profit beats Street as overseas business improves Updated: Jul-28-15 9:10 am
ATLANTA - Overseas business helped UPS during its second quarter, as did the absence of a hefty charge recorded a year ago.
- Volkswagen sold more vehicles than Toyota in first half Updated: Jul-28-15 9:10 am
TOKYO - Volkswagen overtook Toyota in global vehicle sales for January-June, the first time the German automaker has come out top in the intensely competitive tallies.
- SuperValu may spin off Save-A-Lot into separate company Updated: Jul-28-15 9:05 am
NEW YORK - SuperValu says it is considering spinning off its discount grocer Save-A-Lot into a separate publicly traded company as competition in the industry intensifies.
- Tokyo Olympic stadium designer strikes back at critics Updated: Jul-28-15 8:59 am
TOKYO - The architects behind a scrapped plan for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic stadium blamed the bidding process and rocketing building costs for the spiraling price tag, striking back at claims that it was because of the design.
- Ally Financial tops 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 8:56 am
DETROIT - Ally Financial Inc. (ALLY) on Tuesday reported second-quarter profit of $182 million.
- AK Steel reports 2Q loss Updated: Jul-28-15 8:49 am
WEST CHESTER, Ohio - AK Steel Holding Corp. (AKS) on Tuesday reported a loss of $64 million in its second quarter.
- Merck tops Street 2Q forecasts despite lower sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 8:37 am
Merck & Co.'s second-quarter profit plunged by two-thirds, hammered by the sale of its consumer business, unfavorable currency exchange rates, lower sales of some key drugs and hefty one-time charges.
- Planet Fitness goes public Updated: Jul-28-15 8:26 am
NEWINGTON, New Hampshire - Gym company Planet Fitness has started its initial public offering.
- Peabody reports 2Q loss Updated: Jul-28-15 8:22 am
ST LOUIS - Peabody Energy Corp. (BTU) on Tuesday reported a loss of $1.05 billion in its second quarter.
- SuperValu tops 1Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 8:20 am
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota - SuperValu Inc. (SVU) on Tuesday reported fiscal first-quarter profit of $61 million.
- Drugmaker Pfizer tops Street 2Q forecasts, raises forecast Updated: Jul-28-15 8:16 am
NEW YORK - Pfizer's second-quarter earnings fell 10 percent, as the largest U.S. drugmaker absorbed revenue hits from a stronger U.S. dollar and the loss of patent protection for some key products. But the maker of Viagra and the painkiller Celebrex topped expectations for the quarter and raised its 2015 forecast.
- Reynolds American beats 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 8:08 am
WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina - Reynolds American reported a surge in second-quarter profit with cigarette prices and volume rising.
- Recent editorials published in Indiana newspapers Updated: Jul-28-15 8:08 am
The Herald Times (Bloomington). July 23, 2015
- Ford beats 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 7:55 am
DEARBORN, Michigan _ Ford Motor Co. (F) on Tuesday reported second-quarter earnings of $1.89 billion.
- Corning tops 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 7:52 am
CORNING, New York - Corning Inc. (GLW) on Tuesday reported second-quarter profit of $496 million.
- JetBlue matches Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 7:49 am
LONG ISLAND CITY, New York - JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) on Tuesday reported second-quarter profit of $152 million.
- Ford surprises in 2Q with record North American profit Updated: Jul-28-15 7:47 am
DEARBORN, Michigan - Ford Motor Co.'s net income jumped 44 percent to $1.9 billion in the second quarter as global sales rose and the company was able to charge more for new trucks and SUVs with premium features.
- Consol reports 2Q loss on sales decline, higher costs Updated: Jul-28-15 7:47 am
CANONSBURG, Pennsylvania - Consol Energy reported a bigger second-quarter loss as weak coal sales dragged revenue lower and exploration costs increased.
- Treetops Resort emerges from bankruptcy after reorganization Updated: Jul-28-15 7:44 am
DOVER TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Treetops Resort in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula says that it has emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following a voluntarily reorganization.
- DuPont cuts forecast on agriculture sales drop Updated: Jul-28-15 7:43 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - DuPont's second-quarter profit fell 12 percent, and the chemical company lowered its forecast for the year after a stronger dollar and a sales drop in its agriculture segment affected results.
- Sirius XM matches Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 7:34 am
NEW YORK - Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (SIRI) on Tuesday reported second-quarter profit of $102.8 million.
- $15M bond sought for proposed Wilmington stock exchange Updated: Jul-28-15 6:58 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - A new Delaware company led by prominent figures in national financial and political circles is seeking a $15 million bond from New Castle County to create a stock exchange headquartered in Wilmington.
- MidSouth Bancorp beats Wall Street forecast Updated: Jul-28-15 6:58 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - MidSouth Bancorp Inc.'s second-quarter profit climbed to $4.9 million, or 42 cents per share, from $3.9 million, or 34 cents per share, a year ago.