- Wildfire raging north of San Francisco threatens homes Updated: Aug-02-15 6:29 pm
LOWER LAKE, California - Wildfires blazing in several Western states Sunday chewed up forests and threatened homes but were most numerous in Northern California where dozens are raging and setting off evacuations.
- Brown declares state of emergency for California wildfires Updated: Jul-31-15 7:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown is declaring a state of emergency throughout California as wildfires rage in the parched state.
- Pence asks for disaster declaration in 53 Indiana counties Updated: Jul-31-15 2:47 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence and Sen. Joe Donnelly are asking the U.S. agriculture secretary to declare 53 of Indiana's 92 counties disaster areas because of crop damage and losses caused by flooding and excessive rain.
- UN Ebola mission winds down, WHO takes reins in West Africa Updated: Jul-31-15 12:17 pm
- UNHCR: Greece must do more to tackle migration 'emergency' Updated: Jul-31-15 11:43 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greek authorities need to "wake up" and do more to adequately accommodate a burgeoning number of refugee arrivals that has become a full-blown humanitarian emergency requiring a natural disaster-like response, a senior official with the U.N. refugee agency said Friday.
- Federal disaster aid helping to rebuild Arkansas communities Updated: Jul-31-15 3:16 am
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Federal officials say more than $6 million in disaster assistance will help fund local governments' storm recovery efforts following this spring's severe weather in Arkansas.
- Feds won't reverse denial of Baltimore riot disaster aid Updated: Jul-30-15 3:00 pm
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has refused to reverse its denial of disaster aid to help Maryland and Baltimore recover millions of dollars in costs stemming from rioting in the city in April, Gov. Larry Hogan's office said Thursday.
- FEMA approves $7.7M in W.Va. homeland security funds Updated: Jul-30-15 3:05 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved $7.7 million in funding for emergency preparedness and homeland security programs in West Virginia.
- Saginaw to get $2M grant to stave off fire department cuts Updated: Jul-30-15 2:23 am
SAGINAW, Michigan - The city of Saginaw says it's getting a roughly $2 million federal grant to help its fire department maintain staffing levels and keep fire stations open.
- Lawmakers approve continued funding for 'drug czar' Updated: Jul-29-15 6:48 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Lawmakers agreed Wednesday to continue paying the state's "drug czar" for six more months, even as some officials questioned whether he's been effective in streamlining the state's response to heroin and opioid abuse.
- Federal disaster assistance denied for 19 Oklahoma counties Updated: Jul-29-15 6:34 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin says the federal government has rejected the state's request for disaster assistance for 19 Oklahoma counties affected by severe weather, flooding and tornadoes in May and June.
- Feinstein changes focus of new drought bill Updated: Jul-29-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California introduced a new drought relief bill Wednesday that emphasizes long-term investments in desalination, recycling and new or expanded reservoirs.
- 2 meetings held by panel examining Ferguson decisions Updated: Jul-28-15 3:01 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A legislative panel that said it would investigate Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon's decisions involving the state's response to protests that followed a grand jury's decision not to indict a Ferguson police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown has met just twice since December, with the chairman citing difficulty in coordinating members' schedules.
- Indiana school gets $1.6M grant for tornado safe-room Updated: Jul-27-15 4:07 am
SALEM, Indiana - Federal officials have awarded a southern Indiana school district $1.6 million to build a tornado safe-room at an elementary school.
- Officials to see if Minnesota counties qualify for storm aid Updated: Jul-26-15 2:02 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - State officials will see if three counties in north-central Minnesota qualify for state disaster aid after a severe storm earlier this month.
- Illinois lawmakers seek federal flood relief for farmers Updated: Jul-25-15 4:08 am
CHICAGO - Members of Illinois' congressional delegation are asking President Barack Obama to approve federal disaster relief for farmers hit by severe flooding.
- FEMA says disaster aid registration deadline 1 month away Updated: Jul-24-15 1:49 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Federal Emergency Management Agency says residents of nine Arkansas counties have just one month left to register for disaster assistance for damage from severe storms in May and June.
- Illinois governor seeks federal flood relief for crops Updated: Jul-24-15 4:08 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has requested federal flood relief for all counties in Illinois experiencing crop damage.
- Disaster declaration sought to help flooded Illinois farmers Updated: Jul-22-15 5:01 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Illinois plan to seek a federal disaster declaration to make farmers with flood-damaged crops eligible for assistance, as flood warnings persist along several state waterways, including the Illinois River.
- Disaster declaration, federal funds for Walla Walla wildfire Updated: Jul-21-15 9:34 pm
WALLA WALLA, Washington - The Walla Walla County Board of Commissioners has declared a state of emergency and is seeking help from the governor in dealing with the Blue Creek Wildfire.
- Governor declares drought in 3 more Oregon counties Updated: Jul-21-15 7:17 pm
GRANTS PASS, Oregon - Gov. Kate Brown has declared drought emergencies in three more Oregon counties.
- FEMA extends disaster period for June flooding, storm damage Updated: Jul-21-15 5:54 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has extended the timeframe for eligibility for disaster assistance due to last month's flooding and storm damage to public and private property.
- Nixon seeks disaster declaration for 70 counties Updated: Jul-21-15 1:05 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon is asking the federal government to declare a major disaster for 70 counties due to spring and summer storms that caused tornadoes, torrential rains and flooding across much of the state.
- NY gets go ahead for new weather detection system Updated: Jul-20-15 3:04 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York will soon begin work on a new weather detection system intended to provide better data on floods, wildfires and severe weather.
- Latest: Police say no major injuries from Illinois tornado Updated: Jul-17-15 1:40 am
GALESBURG, Illinois - The Latest on damaging storms in parts of Illinois (all times are local):