- Lawmakers seeking answers from Takata, US on faulty air bags Updated: Jun-02-15 6:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Lawmakers expressed frustration Tuesday over the progress of a recall of millions of defective air bags, pointing out that it's still unclear what's causing the air bags to rupture, which vehicles need repairs and whether replacement air bags are truly safe.
- Amtrak CEO vows to put safety technology into operation Updated: Jun-02-15 4:07 pm
WASHINGTON - An emotional Amtrak CEO pledged to lawmakers Tuesday that safety technology that could have prevented a deadly derailment last month in Philadelphia will be put into operation, while Democrats and Republicans exchanged barbs over whether Congress or the Obama administration is most to blame for railroads not installing the technology.
- Tesla Motors co-founder wants to electrify commercial trucks Updated: Jun-02-15 5:13 am
SAN JOSE, California - Twelve years ago, Ian Wright and some fellow engineers launched Tesla Motors, a Silicon Valley company that has helped jumpstart the market for electric cars.
- Solar Impulse waits out weather before take-off for Hawaii Updated: Jun-02-15 2:46 am
TOKYO - Ultimately when it comes to adventure, however advanced the technology, the weather holds the trump card.
- Solar Impulse plane lands in Japan to wait out bad weather Updated: Jun-01-15 2:23 pm
TOKYO - A solar-powered plane attempting to circle the globe without a drop of fuel made an unscheduled landing late Monday in Japan to wait out bad weather.
- 2 electric car charging stations up in Bennington Updated: Jun-01-15 9:01 am
BENNINGTON, Vermont - Two electric car charging stations are up and running in Bennington, Vermont.
- Major construction at NKorea rocket site, US institute says Updated: May-28-15 12:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Satellite imagery shows significant new construction at North Korea's main rocket launch site in a sign of leader Kim Jong Un's determination to pursue a space program despite international censure, a U.S. research institute said Thursday.
- Nebraska students to get look at transportation careers Updated: May-26-15 4:29 am
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - The Central Community College-Grand Island has decided to use a grant from the Federal Highway Administration to introduce students to transportation careers.
- Hawaii groups plant coconut trees, protest against Monsanto Updated: May-24-15 4:01 am
HONOLULU - Demonstrators planted coconut trees and waved signs in rallies across the Hawaiian Islands as part of an international day of protests against agriculture business Monsanto.
- Toyota promises to help find cause of Takata airbag defects Updated: May-22-15 1:16 pm
TOKYO - Toyota vowed to help pinpoint the cause of a defect in air bags used in more than 50 million vehicles worldwide, saying the auto industry risks losing the trust of car buyers if the problem drags on unresolved.
- Tennessee restarting rebates for electric vehicles Updated: May-22-15 12:16 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation is restarting a rebate program for electric car buyers.
- Coal, medicine, trains top Tokyo's Asia infrastructure plan Updated: May-22-15 4:15 am
TOKYO - Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's offer of $110 billion in fresh infrastructure financing for Asia is as much about Japan's agenda for selling its clean coal know-how and other technologies as it is about keeping up with China.
- Bill allowing 3 Tesla car stores clears Connecticut House Updated: May-21-15 8:52 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that would allow car-maker Tesla Motors to sell its electric vehicles directly to Connecticut consumers, but in a limited fashion, passed the state House of Representatives on Thursday.
- Senate Democrats demand more money for Amtrak repair backlog Updated: May-21-15 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats on Thursday demanded that Republicans provide more money for Amtrak so the railroad can tackle a $21 billion maintenance and repair backlog, including replacing tunnels more than a century old.
- Back home on Earth: SpaceX craft returns from space station Updated: May-21-15 1:56 pm
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - A SpaceX Dragon capsule is back on Earth with a full load of cargo, after a quick trip home from the International Space Station.
- Ready for liquor bottles smart enough to talk smart phones? Updated: May-21-15 1:38 pm
The message-in-a-bottle routine is going Wi-Fi. And that means pretty soon you'll have your very own mini Times Square at the bar, right on the bottle.
- Fort Collins company to help design aircraft engines Updated: May-21-15 11:42 am
FORT COLLINS, Colorado - A Fort Collins company says it has launched a joint venture with General Electric Aviation to help design and develop fuel systems for GE's large commercial aircraft engine lines.
- Failed launches cast shadow over Russian space program Updated: May-21-15 10:25 am
MOSCOW - Back-to-back rocket launch failures have dealt Russia one of the heaviest blows to its space industry since the Soviet collapse - with national pride and billions of dollars at stake.
- Spark electric car's price sparks a sales run Updated: May-20-15 12:07 pm
It took a price cut to generate a run on Chevrolet's 2015 Spark EV, with savvy car buyers realizing the lower price and federal electric vehicle tax credit can make for a super deal.
- Oregon to test pay-per-mile idea as replacement for gas tax Updated: May-20-15 2:19 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon is about to embark on a first-in-the-nation program that aims to charge car owners not for the fuel they use, but for the miles they drive.
- CEO: Nissan will be ready with autonomous driving by 2020 Updated: May-18-15 2:47 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Nissan Motor Co. will have vehicles packed with autonomous driving technology by 2020 but whether people will be able to drive them on roads is up to government regulators, Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn said Monday.
- Bismarck hosting summit featuring autonomous vehicles Updated: May-18-15 2:04 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Flying machines without pilots and driverless road vehicles are slated to be featured at an event in Bismarck.
- Fire breaks out for second time at Abu Dhabi's Masdar site Updated: May-17-15 5:46 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The company behind a high-profile green-energy technology community in Abu Dhabi says a fire has broken out on the site for the second time in a week.
- Northwest Indian College launches space center Updated: May-15-15 1:43 pm
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Six years ago, a handful of Northwest Indian College robotics students were looking for something to do when they came up with what they considered a relatively easy and fun idea: launching rockets.
- Amtrak to operate system that might have prevented crash Updated: May-14-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadly Amtrak derailment near Philadelphia appears to be yet another accident that didn't have to happen.