- Arizona Legislature passes $9.6 billion budget Updated: May-04-16 5:08 am
PHOENIX - The Arizona Legislature has passed a $9.6 billion budget after debating a package that left out a health insurance program for children of the working poor that supportive Republicans failed to include in the proposal.
- The Latest: Arizona House passes $9.6 billion budget Updated: May-04-16 5:06 am
PHOENIX - The Latest on Arizona's budget (all times local):
- Bentley prison plan to be decided on session's final day Updated: May-04-16 4:58 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley's $800 million prison construction proposal will be decided on the final day of the 2016 legislative session.
- Lawmakers want to scrap concealed carry fees for veterans Updated: May-04-16 4:55 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's lawmakers have decided veterans should be exempt from having to pay a state fee to get a concealed carry permit.
- Electronic driver's license bill moves to Senate for hearing Updated: May-04-16 4:54 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators will consider whether Louisiana drivers should be permitted to carry electronic licenses, after the proposal met little resistance from the full House.
- Delaware lawmakers eye shorter terms for local school boards Updated: May-04-16 4:52 am
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware lawmakers are considering legislation to shorten the terms of local school board members.
- Detroit teachers ending 2-day sick-out, fighting legislation Updated: May-04-16 3:45 am
DETROIT - Detroit schools are expected to reopen Wednesday after teachers who had called out sick for two days received assurances from the financially struggling district that they would continue to be paid.
- Georgia governor defies party politics with pair of vetoes Updated: May-04-16 3:20 am
ATLANTA - Georgia's Republican governor rejected the two top priorities of a legislature controlled by his own party this year, defying election year politics in a deep red state.
- Indiana Senate race Young's to lose, but Trump is wild card Updated: May-04-16 2:56 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The race to be Indiana's next U.S. senator would appear to be Rep. Todd Young's to lose after his resounding victory in the Republican primary Tuesday, but the outcome of his faceoff with Democrat Baron Hill in November is no forgone conclusion.
- Governor, lawmakers react to ex-Assembly speaker's sentence Updated: May-04-16 12:52 am
NEW YORK - Former New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver's 12-year prison sentence in a $5 million corruption case sends a message that officials who abuse the public's trust will be held accountable, Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo said shortly after the sentencing.
- Ohio House panel OKs bill striking labor hiring mandate Updated: May-04-16 12:39 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio cities, townships, school districts and public universities could no longer require the use of local unionized labor on construction projects under a bill set for an Ohio House vote.
- Democratic budget deal reached, vote Wednesday Updated: May-04-16 12:35 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democratic legislative leaders and Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy reached a tentative eleventh-hour budget deal late Tuesday to cover a projected $960 million deficit in the new fiscal year and potentially help address future projected deficits.
- Hawaii legislature passing dozens of bills in final week Updated: May-03-16 11:46 pm
HONOLULU - After years of dealing with sweltering classrooms where classroom teachers spritzed their students with water to keep them cool, the Hawaii Legislature has approved $100 million to cool 1,000 classrooms throughout the state.
- The Latest: Democratic budget deal reached, vote Wednesday Updated: May-03-16 11:41 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on a Connecticut budget agreement between Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Democratic legislators (all times local):
- Oil spill bill, Medicaid fix stumbles at session's end Updated: May-03-16 11:30 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Legislation dictating how to spend Alabama's oil spill settlement money - and provide a funding fix for Medicaid - is dead for the legislative session after senators could not agree Tuesday on how to use the $1 billion windfall.
- Michigan Senate proposes plan to cut recidivism, save money Updated: May-03-16 11:10 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Supporters of newly introduced criminal justice bills in the Michigan Senate say they are designed to keep prisoners from reoffending, ultimately saving taxpayers money on incarceration costs.
- The Latest: Hawaii OKs bills on mental health, prison, guns Updated: May-03-16 11:06 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature passing dozens of bills ahead of a legislative deadline (all times local):
- Wealthy newcomer grabs US House nod, while Trump, Young win Updated: May-03-16 11:06 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A wealthy political newcomer and a state senator won the Republican primaries for Indiana's two open congressional seats on Tuesday as Donald Trump scored a big victory in the presidential race and Rep. Todd Young captured the GOP's Senate nomination.
- The Latest: Hollingsworth says he'll earn support of voters Updated: May-03-16 10:53 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Tuesday's Indiana primary election (all times local):
- Belleville votes to dissolve overlapping township Updated: May-03-16 10:44 pm
BELLEVILLE, Illinois - Belleville elected leaders have voted unanimously to dissolve a township serving the same area as the city.
- Bill aimed at reducing claims commissioner's backlog passes Updated: May-03-16 10:36 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers have approved legislation aimed at reducing a backlog in the agency that handles legal claims against the state.
- Bill to limit opioid prescriptions heads to governor's desk Updated: May-03-16 10:18 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that would attempt to address Connecticut's opioid abuse problem by limiting most first-time opioid prescriptions for adults to seven days is moving to Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's desk.
- Donald Trump to campaign in Charleston on Thursday Updated: May-03-16 10:10 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump is appearing at a rally Thursday in Charleston in advance of the state's primary election next Tuesday.
- House kills pot legalization, referendum, decriminalization Updated: May-03-16 8:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont House on Tuesday gave those hoping to make the state the first to legalize marijuana by legislation rather than referendum a major buzzkill.
- Missouri House advances 'personhood' legislation Updated: May-03-16 8:32 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri measure backers say will protect the unborn and opponents say would ban abortion in the state received initial approval Tuesday in the House.