- Election-year politics dim hopes of Illinois budget deal Updated: May-29-16 10:30 am
CHICAGO - The emails started arriving as heads were still spinning in the state Capitol over Democrats ramming through a state budget proposal. The missives from Republicans on Wednesday accused the majority party of approving a plan that's out of balance by $7 billion.
- Up in smoke: group ends Ohio medical marijuana ballot drive Updated: May-28-16 12:45 pm
CINCINNATI - A group Saturday ended its effort to put a medical marijuana issue on Ohio's general election ballot.
- Ohio bill sets rules for last-minute orders on voting hours Updated: May-28-16 11:58 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill headed to Ohio's governor could make it harder for people to get a court order to keep polling places open late on Election Day in the key swing state.
- With retention idea blocked, Supreme Court primary goes on Updated: May-28-16 11:09 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - There will be one race on every ballot in North Carolina's previously unscheduled June 7 primary because the state Supreme Court couldn't agree whether a law that led a colleague to seek re-election through a new method complied with the state constitution.
- In business and politics, Trump stokes internal rivalries Updated: May-28-16 2:38 am
WASHINGTON - When Donald Trump acquired a pair of Atlantic City casinos in the mid-1980s, he pitted his managers against each other in a ferocious competition over everything from booking entertainers to attracting high-rolling gamblers.
- Will Trump continue to dominate media in 1-on-1 match? Updated: May-27-16 11:21 am
NEW YORK - During the height of the primary season, a sense of Donald Trump overload in the media united a divided electorate.
- Trump has rally in Billings after securing nomination Updated: May-26-16 8:43 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A crowd of thousands, buoyed by word that Donald Trump had just locked down the Republican presidential nomination, gathered in a Billings arena Thursday to cheer the New York businessman and his unlikely ascent to the top of his party.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- 5 Arkansas counties to receive new voting equipment Updated: May-25-16 11:55 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Five Arkansas counties will receive new voting equipment ahead of the general election this fall.
- The Latest: Pence says he's set to debate Democratic ticket Updated: May-25-16 11:05 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Democratic Indiana gubernatorial candidate John Gregg's running mate announcement (all times local):
- US appeals court revisits Texas voter ID law Updated: May-24-16 7:48 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Whether a strict Texas voter ID law should be struck down, upheld, or, perhaps, adjusted is now up to 15 federal appeals court judges.
- Veteran Springfield state Rep. Benjamin Swan to retire Updated: May-24-16 12:12 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - A long-time state legislator from Springfield is calling it quits - but there's a chance his seat could remain in the family.
- Voter-ID proposal to go before Missouri voters Nov. 8 Updated: May-23-16 6:39 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri voters will decide Nov. 8 whether to amend the state Constitution to allow lawmakers to add voter-identification requirements.
- Illinois GOP calls for unity as some tiptoe around Trump Updated: May-21-16 5:36 pm
PEORIA, Illinois - Illinois Republicans cheered calls for unity at the party's state convention on Saturday even as some top elected officials tiptoed around the name likely to top the GOP ticket: Donald Trump.
- In swing state suburbs, white women are skeptical of Trump Updated: May-21-16 1:05 pm
WESTERVILLE, Ohio - For Donald Trump to win the White House in November, he'll need the votes of women like lifelong Republican Wendy Emery.
- After Democrats' primary, some see a need for fence mending Updated: May-21-16 9:57 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's primary polls looked grim in mid-March for Katie McGinty, the candidate recruited by Democratic heavy hitters in Washington in their multimillion-dollar quest to recapture the U.S. Senate majority.
- Comanche Nation committee votes to hold do-over election Updated: May-20-16 5:24 pm
LAWTON, Oklahoma - The Comanche Nation Business Committee has decided to hold a do-over general election for the Lawton-based tribe's agency.
- The Latest: California Senate backs strict gun restrictions Updated: May-19-16 2:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on the California Senate's gun-control debate (all times are local):
- Clinton grapples with Trump's ability to stay in spotlight Updated: May-19-16 1:59 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump kept himself planted firmly in the political spotlight this week with one headline-grabbing move after another - launching a social media defense of his treatment of women, listing possible Supreme Court nominees, rapidly declaring an Egyptian plane crash an act of terrorism.
- Virginia voter registration this year ahead of 2012 pace Updated: May-19-16 12:53 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia residents are rushing to register to vote ahead of the November election.
- The Latest: Montana officials seek stay on campaign limits Updated: May-18-16 6:38 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Latest on Montana campaign contribution limits (all times local):
- Nebraska death penalty foes: Life in prison means no parole Updated: May-18-16 4:50 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A group that is urging voters not to reinstate Nebraska's death penalty argued Wednesday that the state's 10 death-row inmates will die in prison regardless of what happens in the November election.
- Cooper, McCrory set for at least 2 candidate debates Updated: May-18-16 4:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory and Democratic challenger Roy Cooper will participate together in at least two debates in the coming months before the November election.
- 7 ousted in Idaho GOP primary Updated: May-18-16 4:05 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's establishment Republicans won key battles Tuesday night by fighting off far-right challengers across the state, but the conflict wasn't without a few losses.
- Avakian wins Democratic primary for secretary of state Updated: May-18-16 2:22 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - The Latest on Oregon's primary election (all times local):