- Consider obesity surgery more often for diabetes: Guidelines Updated: May-24-16 3:36 pm
WASHINGTON - New guidelines say weight-loss surgery should become a more routine treatment option for diabetes, even for some patients who are mildly obese.
- Michigan man's gunshot ordeal inspires him to become doctor Updated: May-24-16 12:20 pm
EAST LANSING, Michigan - A gunshot victim whose life was saved by Detroit doctors has graduated from medical school and hopes to help others like the surgeons who treated him.
- Law mandates coverage for vasectomies, other birth control Updated: May-23-16 5:47 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont is poised to become the first state to require public and private health insurance to cover vasectomies without copays and deductibles under a bill Democratic Gov. Peter Shumlin signed into law Monday.
- Partners to end heart surgery at Salem Hospital Updated: May-23-16 11:16 am
SALEM, Massachusetts - Partners HealthCare plans to stop performing heart surgeries at its Salem Hospital and instead send those patients to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
- Bone cement company accused of experimenting on humans Updated: May-21-16 5:38 pm
SEATTLE - Reba Golden hurt her back after falling two floors while building an addition to her house in Honduras. But when she returned to Seattle for a routine spinal surgery, she suffered blood clots, severe bleeding and died in 2007 on the operating table.
- David Ginola expected to fully recover after heart surgery Updated: May-20-16 12:40 pm
PARIS - The surgeon who operated on David Ginola said the former France winger "almost died" after having a heart attack while playing soccer.
- Coroner: Fat clots killed woman during Brazilian butt-lift Updated: May-17-16 7:59 am
HIALEAH, Florida - The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office says fat clots clogged the arteries of a 29-year-old West Virginia woman who died following cosmetic surgery at a Hialeah clinic.
- 1st US penis transplant could bring hope to maimed soldiers Updated: May-16-16 8:04 pm
BOSTON - A 64-year-old cancer patient has received the nation's first penis transplant, a groundbreaking operation that may also help accident victims and some of the many U.S. veterans maimed by roadside bombs.
- Birmingham Zoo says elephant OK after tusk removal surgery Updated: May-12-16 2:52 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Birmingham Zoo says its 35-year-old African elephant is doing well and should recover after undergoing surgery to remove its one remaining tusk.
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio Updated: May-09-16 2:11 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Duke says men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski has had hernia surgery.
- A's RHP Chris Bassitt needs reconstructive elbow surgery Updated: May-05-16 5:59 pm
OAKLAND, California - Oakland Athletics right-hander Chris Bassitt will need reconstructive surgery on his injured pitching elbow.
- Award reduced over surgery on wrong side of teen's brain Updated: May-05-16 2:44 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A legislative subcommittee has reduced by 75 percent a $2 million award to a family whose then-15-year-old son had the wrong side of his brain operated on in 2004.
- Robot stitches tissue by itself, a step to more automated OR Updated: May-04-16 8:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Getting stitched up by Dr. Robot may one day be reality: Scientists have created a robotic system that did just that in living animals without a real doctor pulling the strings.
- Ireland Army Hospital limiting new surgeries starting June 1 Updated: May-04-16 5:19 am
FORT KNOX, Kentucky - Ireland Army Community Hospital at Fort Knox says it will begin limiting new surgery cases starting next month.
- Slovakia's premier leaves hospital after heart surgery Updated: May-01-16 1:03 pm
BRATISLAVA, Slovakia - Slovakia's prime minister has been discharged from a clinic in the capital following heart surgery.
- Cardinals 3B coach Oquendo to have knee surgery, miss season Updated: Apr-30-16 6:35 pm
ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo will undergo right knee replacement surgery next month and won't return to the team this season.
- Egyptian family seeks help for conjoined twins Updated: Apr-27-16 8:35 am
SADAT CITY, Egypt - The parents of conjoined twins in Egypt are calling for help to separate the girls, saying they have been unable to find treatment so far.
- Breast implants, tummy tucks funded by identity theft Updated: Apr-26-16 7:41 am
ORLANDO, Florida - When some central Florida women wanted plastic surgery they couldn't afford, police say they turned to a 28-year-old woman who used stolen IDs to cover the expenses.