- Ohio man sentenced for creating child pornography Updated: Aug-01-15 6:34 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A 34-year-old central Ohio man has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for photographing his sexual abuse of a young child.
- Clovis man is indicted on 1st-degree murder in 2002 shooting Updated: Aug-01-15 5:04 am
CLOVIS, New Mexico - A Clovis man has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge in a 2002 shooting case.
- Murder trial of accused mall shooter set for November Updated: Aug-01-15 4:17 am
NEW ORLEANS - Gary Francois, accused of gunning down another man in a suburban New Orleans shopping mall on Christmas Eve, will go to trial Nov. 3.
- Shreveport woman gets 1 year for stealing federal benefits Updated: Aug-01-15 4:13 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - Federal prosecutors say a Shreveport woman has been sentenced to a year and a day in prison for stealing more than $39,000 in Social Security benefits.
- 2 plead guilty in federal heroin distribution case Updated: Aug-01-15 4:07 am
NEW ORLEANS - Federal authorities say two men who pleaded guilty this week in New Orleans are the latest convicted in connection with a heroin distribution ring.
- No new trial again for man convicted in '86 Port Huron death Updated: Aug-01-15 4:05 am
PORT HURON, Michigan - A man serving a life sentence for a fatal shooting in a college parking lot has struck out again in his latest effort to have his conviction overturned with the help of law students.
- Q&A: A look at Michigan sentencing after court strikes law Updated: Aug-01-15 4:05 am
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Supreme Court's milestone decision to strike down state sentencing guidelines and make them "advisory" only will influence how defendants are sentenced for years ahead.
- Jury recommends life sentence for fatal stabbing Updated: Aug-01-15 3:05 am
BROOKSVILLE, Florida - Jurors have recommended life in prison for a man who killed an elderly woman in her Tampa Bay area home.
- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of US man Updated: Aug-01-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors have shelved their Nazi war crimes investigation of a retired Minnesota carpenter whom The Associated Press exposed as a former commander in an SS-led unit, saying Friday that the 96-year-old is not fit for trial.
- Man arrested on homicide charge after crash in East Nassau Updated: Jul-31-15 11:29 pm
EAST NASSAU, New York - A suburban New York man has pleaded not guilty to vehicular homicide and other charges after a fatal crash in Rensselaer County.
- Judge gives lender 60 days to buy former presidential yacht Updated: Jul-31-15 9:52 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Frustrated with years of legal wrangling, a Delaware judge has given a lender 60 days to decide whether to buy the former presidential yacht Sequoia, which lies rotting in a Virginia shipyard.
- Lawsuit over lease for Shell Arctic drilling fleet rejected Updated: Jul-31-15 8:47 pm
SEATTLE - A Washington state judge has rejected a lawsuit challenging the Port of Seattle's decision to lease one of its terminals as a homeport for Royal Dutch Shell's Arctic oil-drilling fleet.
- Man gets 2½ years in prison for killing jogger with SUV Updated: Jul-31-15 8:43 pm
DEDHAM, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts man who struck and killed a college student with his SUV while she was jogging last year has been sentenced to 2½ years in prison and will lose his driver's license for 15 years.
- Speziale given deadline for filing new claims in lawsuit Updated: Jul-31-15 8:34 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's former No. 2 cop will have about two weeks to amend his lawsuit against the agency to include claims stemming from a recent dispute at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- Mother pleads not guilty in birthday cake beating case Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 pm
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - The mother of a 9-year-old boy who was fatally beaten over what police say was a piece of missing birthday cake has pleaded not guilty to murder and child abuse charges.
- Sheriff Arpaio's contempt hearings to proceed in September Updated: Jul-31-15 8:17 pm
PHOENIX - Contempt-of-court hearings against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for acknowledged violations of a judge's orders in his racial profiling case will move forward this fall.
- Woman pleads guilty in crash that killed JeffCo deputy Updated: Jul-31-15 8:16 pm
GOLDEN, Colorado - A Denver woman who struck and killed an off-duty Jefferson County sheriff's deputy who was directing traffic at the scene of a multi-car crash has pleaded guilty.
- Former candidate Bosworth pleads to keep medical license Updated: Jul-31-15 8:04 pm
SIOUX FALL, South Dakota - Former Republican U.S. Senate candidate Annette Bosworth fought to keep her medical license at a medical board hearing Friday that was held in response to her felony conviction for election law violations in May.
- Closing arguments completed in challenge to NC voter law Updated: Jul-31-15 8:01 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - Closing arguments wrapped up Friday in the legal challenge to North Carolina's election law, leaving the fate of the controversial legislation in the hands of the federal judge who heard the case.
- Youth advocates decry trying teen as adult in girl's death Updated: Jul-31-15 7:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A 15-year-old boy charged as an adult with raping and killing his 8-year-old neighbor in California is too young to understand what he is accused of doing, youth advocacy groups said Friday.
- Prosecutors wants convicted ex-priest civilly committed Updated: Jul-31-15 7:25 pm
SALEM, Massachusetts - Massachusetts prosecutors want a former Roman Catholic priest convicted of sexually abusing children civilly committed indefinitely now that his prison term has ended.
- Snowboarders fight to lift ban at Utah ski resort Updated: Jul-31-15 7:11 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A group of snowboarders have reasserted their claim that a ban at Utah's Alta Ski Area amounts to discrimination, with a new appeals court filing that pushes back against the notion that their lawsuit would set off a string of discrimination suits.
- Oklahoma man sentenced to 51 months over casings, opium Updated: Jul-31-15 7:07 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Federal prosecutors say an Oklahoma City man has been sentenced to 51 months in prison after pleading guilty to smuggling bullet casings to Iran and possessing opium with intent to distribute.
- Judge orders Goodell, Brady appear in court Aug. 12, 19 Updated: Jul-31-15 6:59 pm
NEW YORK - The federal judge handling Tom Brady's attempt to overturn his four-game suspension ordered the New England quarterback and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to appear in court twice in mid-August.
- Raleigh couple found not guilty in underage drinking case Updated: Jul-31-15 6:50 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A Raleigh couple has been found not guilty of charges stemming from a party in which underage drinking led to a fatal wreck.