- Computer science demand forces state's colleges to ramp up Updated: Apr-30-16 3:06 am
SEATTLE - Four years after graduating from the University of Washington, Audra Linsenmayer began to realize that the job opportunities were few for someone who had majored in English and psychology, as she had.
- Yahoo CEO could get $55M in severance pay in potential sale Updated: Apr-29-16 7:42 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer will walk away with a $55 million severance package if the company's auction of its Internet operations culminates in a sale that ousts her from her job.
- Prosecutors eye Cuomo's upstate economic development program Updated: Apr-29-16 7:00 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that his administration retained a former criminal prosecutor to review his upstate economic development initiatives after learning federal investigators are examining potential conflicts of interest and improper bidding related to the programs.
- Obama announces new steps to curb gun violence Updated: Apr-29-16 6:03 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced new steps Friday to help curb gun violence, including by identifying the requirements that "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them as well as sharing mental health records with the federal background check system.
- Oculus Rift delays flatten virtual-reality fan fervor Updated: Apr-29-16 5:46 pm
LOS ANGELES - Virtual reality, oddly enough, isn't immune to the problems that arise in practical reality. Just ask would-be fans of the Oculus Rift headset, many - possibly most - of whom are still waiting for their $600 gadgets more than four weeks after they started shipping .
- US stocks hit by health care woes but avoid bigger losses Updated: Apr-29-16 4:50 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks fell Friday as health care and technology companies continued to report weak first-quarter results, but thanks to some late buying, they managed to avoid major losses.
- Molina Healthcare and Seagate skid, Amazon surges Updated: Apr-29-16 4:24 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks that moved substantially or traded heavily Friday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq stock market:
- Markets Right Now: Stocks end slightly lower on Wall Street Updated: Apr-29-16 4:10 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on global financial markets (all times local):
- Kansas to text parents who owe child support payments Updated: Apr-29-16 3:55 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Department for Children and Families officials say it will begin texting parents who owe child support in an effort increase collections.
- Despite Intel cuts, Portland high-tech is surging Updated: Apr-29-16 3:41 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon tech employment grew at its fastest rate in a decade last year, according to a new state report that finds those jobs pay unusually well and have an outsized impact on the economy.
- Purdue-based national steel consortium aims to help industry Updated: Apr-29-16 3:01 pm
HAMMOND, Indiana - A new national consortium has been established to come up with ideas that could help the domestic steel industry.
- Minnesota science museum creating space research kits Updated: Apr-29-16 11:47 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Science Museum of Minnesota has a $14 million contract to help turn NASA's deep wealth of space research into interactive exhibits, activities and other learning experiences.
- Sitka Assembly approves ban on texting while driving Updated: Apr-29-16 10:03 am
SITKA, Alaska - Sitka officials have approved an ordinance that prohibits drivers from using their cellphones while driving.
- Russia's nuclear nightmare flows down radioactive river Updated: Apr-29-16 9:38 am
MUSLYUMOVO, Russia - At first glance, Gilani Dambaev looks like a healthy 60-year-old man and the river flowing past his rural family home appears pristine. But Dambaev is riddled with diseases that his doctors link to a lifetime's exposure to excessive radiation, and the Geiger counter beeps loudly as a reporter strolls down to the muddy riverbank.
- Rovi buying TiVo in $1.1B cash-and-stock deal Updated: Apr-29-16 7:45 am
NEW YORK - Digital TV listing company Rovi is buying TiVo in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $1.1 billion.
- College teams compete for $500K in business plan competition Updated: Apr-29-16 5:55 am
ALBANY, New York - Dozens of teams of New York college students are competing to turn their business plans into reality.
- Preschoolers talk, dance, race collection of automatons Updated: Apr-29-16 5:05 am
COLUMBUS, Indiana - For many kids, robots are intriguing but make-believe creatures that only live on television, where sometimes they seem a little scary.
- Text-to-911 service coming to northwestern Indiana county Updated: Apr-29-16 2:08 am
CROWN POINT, Indiana - People in a northwestern Indiana county will soon be able to text 911 emergency messages.
- Japan abandons costly X-ray satellite lost in space Updated: Apr-29-16 12:27 am
TOKYO - Japan's space agency has abandoned its efforts to restore the operations of a multimillion-dollar satellite that was to probe the mysteries of black holes using X-ray telescopes.
- Authorities say death at Apple headquarters was suicide Updated: Apr-28-16 8:20 pm
CUPERTINO, California - Authorities say a young Apple employee took his own life at the company's headquarters this week.
- Review: Kindle Oasis aims at avid readers, pricey for others Updated: Apr-28-16 6:14 pm
NEW YORK - The Kindle Oasis is Amazon's sleekest, lightest e-book reader yet - and at $290, unnecessary unless you're a die-hard reader.
- McCrory seeks extra lottery profits for new initiatives Updated: Apr-28-16 6:09 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory wants legislators to let him use unanticipated extra profits from the North Carolina lottery in part for several new education initiatives and others that never before benefited directly from the state-run numbers games and scratch-offs.
- How Amazon convinced you to pay up for shopping Updated: Apr-28-16 5:51 pm
NEW YORK - Amazon is clearly entering its Prime. Meaning, of course, its $100 annual membership program, now a decade old, which has accomplished the remarkable feat of convincing millions of people to pay an annual fee for the privilege of, well, shopping.
- Carl Icahn sells Apple stake, citing China worries Updated: Apr-28-16 5:25 pm
Billionaire investor Carl Icahn has sold his stake in Apple, citing concerns about the giant tech company's prospects in China.
- Mom convicted of creating public nuisance for Facebook post Updated: Apr-28-16 5:02 pm
ROSWELL, New Mexico - A New Mexico woman has been convicted of creating a public nuisance by posting an online comment about the possibility of a shooting at her son's middle school.