- UK prosecutors mull charges for News Corp. over hacking Updated: Aug-29-15 7:16 am
LONDON - British prosecutors say they are considering corporate charges against Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. over phone hacking at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid.
- Awards recognize Illinois students with big ideas Updated: Aug-29-15 4:43 am
URBANA, Illinois - The University of Illinois is looking for high school students who are putting innovative ideas into action.
- Correction: High-Tech Practice story Updated: Aug-28-15 7:57 pm
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri - In a story Aug. 20 about professional sports teams using GPS devices to track player performance, The Associated Press reported, based on information provided by StatSports, that the New York Knicks were using the technology. The Knicks are not clients of StatSports.
- Twitter sets modest goals to diversity its workforce Updated: Aug-28-15 5:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter is setting modest goals to diversify its workforce while it fights a proposed class-action lawsuit that says the online messaging service discriminates against its female employees.
- Pentagon funding new high-tech venture Updated: Aug-28-15 5:21 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced Friday that the Pentagon is funding a new venture to develop cutting-edge electronics and sensors that can flex and stretch and could be built into clothing or the skins of ships and aircraft.
- Appeals court reverses ruling that found NSA program illegal Updated: Aug-28-15 5:17 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court on Friday ruled in favor of the Obama administration in a dispute over the National Security Agency's bulk collection of telephone data on hundreds of millions of Americans.
- Fire crew deploys technology to learn from California blaze Updated: Aug-28-15 5:10 pm
FRESNO, California - A special fire crew has deployed cameras, heat sensors and wind gauges to study the behavior of a massive California wildfire.
- Oregon firm joins Wyoming university on research initiative Updated: Aug-28-15 4:58 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A scientific and technical instrument manufacturer is teaming up with the University of Wyoming on what officials say will be cutting-edge research to improve extraction of oil and gas.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Cyber-attacks on Overstock.com lead to federal charges Updated: Aug-28-15 4:29 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Federal prosecutors have charged an Israeli man they say tried to hack into the servers at Overstock.com, causing an estimated $450,000 in damage.
- Ashley Madison CEO steps down in wake of hacking Updated: Aug-28-15 4:19 pm
NEW YORK - The CEO of the company that runs adultery website Ashley Madison is stepping down in the wake of the massive breach of the company's computer systems and outing of millions of its members.
- USDA to approve Simplot's genetically engineered potato Updated: Aug-28-15 3:16 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The U.S. Department of Agriculture has approved a potato genetically engineered by Idaho-based J.R. Simplot Co. to resist the pathogen that caused the Irish potato famine and that still damages crops around the world.
- Apple's music service losing key player as exec resigns Updated: Aug-28-15 2:48 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple's online music subscription service is losing a key player as millions of listeners near the end of a free three-month trial period that has drawn mixed reviews.
- Feds win fight for access to indicted Paul aide's Gmail Updated: Aug-28-15 2:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Federal prosecutors are prevailing in their yearlong fight to access the emails of a once-powerful Republican consultant from Google Inc.
- What's in a billion? Facebook users hit milestone in 1 day Updated: Aug-28-15 1:57 pm
NEW YORK - A billion people logged in to Facebook on a single day this week, marking the first time that many members used the world's largest online social network in a 24-hour period. The number amounts to one-seventh of the Earth's population.
- Amid backlash, Iowa co-op drops planned fee for solar hookup Updated: Aug-28-15 12:47 pm
PELLA, Iowa - Facing a backlash from solar energy advocates and an inquiry from regulators, a rural Iowa electricity cooperative has dropped a plan to charge customers who install solar panels on their homes and businesses a special $85 monthly charge.
- 6 union rallies planned in Allegheny Technologies dispute Updated: Aug-28-15 9:48 am
BRACKENRIDGE, Pennsylvania - The United Steelworkers union planned six rallies for workers locked out of Allegheny Technologies Inc. plants in Pennsylvania and five other states.
- Student data breach reported by South Dakota School of Mines Updated: Aug-28-15 7:52 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Officials at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology say an email that a university employee inadvertently sent to graduate students included an attachment with names, student identification numbers and grade point averages of about 350 students.
- AP sues over access to FBI records involving fake news story Updated: Aug-27-15 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Associated Press sued the U.S. Department of Justice Thursday over the FBI's failure to provide public records related to the creation of a fake news story used to plant surveillance software on a suspect's computer.
- Sprint offers DirecTV customers free year of phone service Updated: Aug-27-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - Sprint is offering DirecTV customers one free year of cellphone service in a bold move aimed at the satellite TV company's new owner, AT&T.
- For the first time, 1 billion people used Facebook in a day Updated: Aug-27-15 5:08 pm
NEW YORK - For the first time, a billion people used Facebook in a single day on Monday.
- Google rejects EU anti-trust allegations as flawed Updated: Aug-27-15 3:40 pm
BRUSSELS - Google rejected on Thursday a complaint by Europe's competition watchdog that the Internet giant is abusing its dominance in Web searches to promote its own products.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- New estimate: Apple shipped 3.6 million watches last quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:36 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A new report estimates Apple shipped 3.6 million watches in the last quarter - more than some analysts have estimated and enough to change the competitive landscape for fitness bands and other wearable gadgets.
- Twitter tries to lure in users as it searches for CEO Updated: Aug-27-15 2:45 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter's most urgent task is naming a new CEO. But the most formidable one is convincing more people that its service is essential, easy to use and not just meant for celebrities, 16-year-olds and news junkies.