- School of Mines gets $750,000 grant from NASA program Updated: Aug-01-15 2:05 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - The South Dakota School of Mines and Technology has been awarded a $750,000 grant from NASA to develop materials to be used in future exploration of other planets.
- Researchers warn of bogus emails offering Windows 10 Updated: Jul-31-15 8:32 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Some hackers are exploiting Microsoft's offer of free upgrades to its new Windows 10 operating system.
- Washington St's Leach ready for another entertaining season Updated: Jul-31-15 8:05 pm
BURBANK, California - Looking for a date in the greater Spokane area? Washington State coach Mike Leach has a few ideas.
- Yahoo tries to get more fashionable with Polyvore purchase Updated: Jul-31-15 6:07 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo is buying style-tip specialist Polyvore in its latest attempt to become a more fashionable place to advertise.
- UConn: Engineering School computer breach was 'criminal' Updated: Jul-31-15 4:31 pm
STORRS, Connecticut - University of Connecticut officials say a data breach discovered in March at the School of Engineering was criminal in nature.
- Police say man died after crash while texting on motorcycle Updated: Jul-31-15 3:34 pm
FRANKFORT, Indiana - State police say a 43-year-old Indianapolis man died from injuries sustained after he crashed his motorcycle while he was texting.
- Family of technology executive killed in crash sues Amtrak Updated: Jul-31-15 3:29 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The husband of a technology executive killed when a speeding Amtrak train derailed in Philadelphia has sued the railroad for wrongful death.
- Facebook's Zuckerberg and wife are expecting a daughter Updated: Jul-31-15 2:45 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his pediatrician wife, Priscilla Chan, are expecting a baby.
- NY village makes ransom payments to keep computers running Updated: Jul-31-15 2:34 pm
ALBANY, New York - A village in central New York made ransom payments of $300 and $500 last year to keep its computers running after two official-looking emails released malware throughout its system, state auditors said.
- Tough week for social media stocks - no one is spared Updated: Jul-31-15 1:07 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been an easy week in social media, despite double-digit revenue growth from Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Investors are looking beyond headline numbers and finding reasons to sell.
- Buckeye Lake plan gets OK from US Army Corps of Engineers Updated: Jul-31-15 1:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state's effort to replace the deteriorated dam at Buckeye Lake has won key approval from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Online viewers won't miss Super Bowl ads shown on TV Updated: Jul-31-15 11:49 am
LOS ANGELES - Next year, you won't have to worry about missing the buzziest commercials of the Super Bowl if you can't get to a TV.
- German justice minister casts doubt on treason probe Updated: Jul-31-15 11:26 am
BERLIN - Germany's justice minister on Friday questioned a decision by prosecutors to open a treason investigation against two journalists, a move that prompted strong criticism from free speech activists.
- Glitch delaying benefits for some Mississippi state retirees Updated: Jul-31-15 9:47 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A computer glitch in new software at the Public Employees Retirement System is causing a large backlog in processing pension applications for some newly retired former state employees.
- Google rejects French order on world 'right to be forgotten' Updated: Jul-31-15 4:26 am
PARIS - Google is rejecting an order by the French data privacy agency to remove search results worldwide upon request, saying European law allowing the 'right to be forgotten' doesn't apply globally.
- Auburn University signs Space Act Agreement with NASA Updated: Jul-31-15 4:19 am
AUBURN, Alabama - Auburn University has signed a Space Act Agreement with NASA to explore and advance the applications of additive manufacturing, or 3D printing.
- What's considered 'classified' is a judgment call Updated: Jul-31-15 3:12 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is under scrutiny over whether she sent or received classified information on unsecured email when she was secretary of state. The inspector general of the U.S. intelligence community recently alerted the Justice Department about classified information included improperly on email that went through a home server Clinton used in lieu of the official State Department email system.
- Microsoft says 14 million computers now running Windows 10 Updated: Jul-30-15 10:34 pm
PALO ALTO, California - Microsoft says its' new Windows 10 operating system is now running on more than 14 million computers, two days after the software was released as a free download.
- LinkedIn 2Q caps rough week for social media stocks Updated: Jul-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been a good week for social media companies, not even for the usually reliable professional networking service LinkedIn Corp.
- Texas businessman finds cellphone that fell from plane Updated: Jul-30-15 5:31 pm
WICHITA FALLS, Texas - A Texas businessman used an app to find his iPhone in a rural pasture after it fell about 9,300 feet during a flight from Houston.
- Facebook ready to test giant drone for Internet service Updated: Jul-30-15 5:20 pm
MENLO PARK, California - Facebook says it will begin test flights later this year for a solar-powered drone with a wingspan as big as a Boeing 737, in the next stage of its campaign to deliver Internet connectivity to remote parts of the world.
- WebMD tops Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-30-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - WebMD Health Corp. (WBMD) on Thursday reported second-quarter earnings of $13.4 million.
- Medical device manufacturer agrees to $13.5M settlement Updated: Jul-30-15 4:25 pm
BALTIMORE - Federal prosecutors say a medical device manufacturer has agreed to pay the U.S. $13.5 million over allegations of false claims for the company's devices.
- St. Louis area health system endures 20-hour computer outage Updated: Jul-30-15 3:47 pm
ST. LOUIS - An executive with the St. Louis area's biggest hospital provider say the network is rebounding from a 20-hour computer outage that disrupted its operations system-wide.
- Nokia profit grows as networks division leads turnaround Updated: Jul-30-15 1:28 pm
HELSINKI - Nokia enjoyed a solid 60 percent rise in net profit in the second quarter, with a good performance in its core networks division suggesting the Finnish company is succeeding in turning its business around since selling its handsets operation to Microsoft in 2013.