- Samsung 3Q operating profit surges, shares jump 9 percent Updated: Oct-07-15 2:24 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics announced a forecast-beating profit for the third quarter Wednesday, sending its share price up nearly 9 percent, but analysts said strong component sales and favorable currency exchange rates masked persistent weakness in its smartphone business.
- VW CEO: recall of cars hit by scandal to begin in January Updated: Oct-07-15 2:05 am
BERLIN - Volkswagen's new chief executive says that a recall of cars with software at the center of the emissions-rigging scandal should start in January and the automaker aims to fix them all by the end of next year.
- NY attorney general opens probe into fantasy sports websites Updated: Oct-06-15 11:53 pm
NEW YORK - The state's attorney general on Tuesday sent letters to daily fantasy sports websites DraftKings and FanDuel demanding they turn over details of any investigations into their employees, saying they "may have gained an unfair, financial advantage in a contest known as Daily Fantasy Football."
- Oregon shooter's mother wrote about guns in online forum Updated: Oct-06-15 8:07 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The mother of a gunman who killed nine people and himself at an Oregon community college allowed her troubled son to have guns and acknowledged in online posts that he struggled with autism, but she didn't seem to know he was potentially violent.
- Massachusetts could ban talking on cellphones while driving Updated: Oct-06-15 7:49 pm
BOSTON - Families of those killed in distracted driving accidents are asking state lawmakers to back legislation that would require drivers to use hand-free phones in Massachusetts.
- Rubio criticizes government regulation of on-demand economy Updated: Oct-06-15 6:35 pm
NEW YORK - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio vowed Tuesday to cap the number of regulations government can impose on businesses, particularly "on-demand" startups like Uber and Airbnb that he considers models for a changing national economy.
- Senate panel probing VW's use of tax credits Updated: Oct-06-15 6:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate Finance Committee opened a probe Tuesday into Volkswagen's use of a federal tax credit intended for fuel-efficient cars as the company's emissions-rigging scandal widened.
- Gordon thinks new tire changer can give inside information Updated: Oct-06-15 5:49 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Jeff Gordon believes his new front tire changer can improve his pit crew and give Hendrick Motorsports some inside information on the competition.
- New Roku streaming TV device has 4K resolution Updated: Oct-06-15 5:47 pm
NEW YORK - Streaming TV device maker Roku on Tuesday unveiled a new model that offers video in Ultra HD, or 4K, resolution, matching what's available with Amazon's new Fire TV device.
- Lawmakers will hold interim study on privacy issues Updated: Oct-06-15 4:19 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The House Common Education Committee is planning an interim study this week on privacy issues related to student data.
- Competition for Microsoft lineup, which targets high end Updated: Oct-06-15 3:46 pm
NEW YORK - The success of Microsoft's fall lineup of devices will ride on the company's ability to convince people who got free Windows 10 software upgrades this summer to spring for new devices - specifically, Windows devices.
- Vote on loosening emissions testing awaits Tenn. lawmakers Updated: Oct-06-15 3:33 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee lawmakers are set to vote on loosening vehicle emissions testing requirements as soon as they return in January, undeterred by Volkswagen's recent admission that it had been gaming the tests already in place.
- European data sharing pact with US ruled invalid Updated: Oct-06-15 2:29 pm
LUXEMBOURG - Facebook and thousands of other companies could find it vastly more complicated to do business in Europe after a court ruled that personal data sent to U.S. servers is potentially unsafe from government spying.
- Researchers say charging stations key to electric cars Updated: Oct-06-15 2:17 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An Idaho National Laboratory study has found that widespread adoption of electric vehicles could reduce the country's gas consumption, but that the availability of charging stations will determine if more people buy.
- Twitter debuts 'Moments' feature to highlight top stories Updated: Oct-06-15 12:10 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter on Tuesday launched a new feature called "Moments" that helps highlight the top stories being tweeted.
- Correction: Invasive Species-Lawsuit story Updated: Oct-06-15 11:39 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - In a story Oct. 5 about a federal appeals court ordering the government to rewrite regulations on ballast water discharges from ships, The Associated Press erroneously reported the name of an environmental group that challenged the rules. It is the Natural Resources Defense Council, not the National Resources Defense Council.
- Study cites cybercrime's rising costs to corporations Updated: Oct-06-15 10:20 am
NEW YORK - Cybercrime costs are climbing for companies both in the U.S. and overseas amid a slew of high-profile breaches, according to research released Tuesday.
- NH attorney general offers guidance after data breach Updated: Oct-06-15 7:35 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The state attorney general says about 21,000 New Hampshire residents who are T-Mobile wireless customers may have had personal data exposed in the recent breach at the Experian credit reporting agency.
- Toyota shows self-driving technology being readied for 2020 Updated: Oct-06-15 7:21 am
TOKYO - Toyota unveiled its vision for self-driving cars in a challenge to other automakers as well as industry newcomer Google Inc., promising to start selling such vehicles in Japan by 2020.
- South Bend students get manufacturing pitch Updated: Oct-06-15 5:01 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - When trying to get a work permit for his 14-year-old son, Dan Adams, co-owner and chief technology officer of Manufacturing Technology Inc., ran into some frustrating misconceptions about his industry.
- US group: Put Alibaba site back on "notorious" fakes list Updated: Oct-06-15 4:45 am
HONG KONG - A clothing and shoe industry group is calling for the U.S. government to put Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba's Taobao site back on its list of "Notorious Markets" for counterfeit goods.
- NY attorney general offers guidance after data breach Updated: Oct-06-15 3:01 am
ALBANY, New York - The state attorney general says more than 1 million New Yorkers who are T-Mobile wireless customers may have had personal data exposed in the recent breach at the Experian credit reporting agency, suggesting steps to protect against identity theft.
- Review: 'Steve Jobs' plays man versus machine Updated: Oct-06-15 12:50 am
When is someone going to open a window in Aaron Sorkin's "Steve Jobs"? Alas, wrong operating system.
- Data hack at 7 Trump hotels confirmed Updated: Oct-05-15 6:22 pm
NEW YORK - Customer credit and debit card numbers may have been stolen at seven Trump hotels after its payment systems were hacked for over a year.
- Lawmakers continue studying broadband options for Idaho Updated: Oct-05-15 5:44 pm
BOISE, Idaho - School districts in Idaho should continue securing their own Internet rather than relying on a statewide system, an Internet provider told lawmakers Monday.