- Feds says more than $13 million recovered from rogue doctor Updated: Jul-30-15 6:37 pm
DETROIT - The government says $13 million to $14 million has been recovered so far from a Detroit-area cancer doctor who gave unnecessary treatments to patients.
- Appeals court upholds convictions in Petro America case Updated: Jul-30-15 4:34 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A federal appeals court panel has upheld the convictions of five people for bilking mostly poor investors out of millions of dollars with promises that they could become wealthy beyond their wildest dreams by spending as little as $100.
- Anchorage doctor sentenced to prison for Medicaid fraud Updated: Jul-30-15 3:04 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An Anchorage physician convicted of defrauding the government of Medicaid funding has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison.
- Ex-lawmaker from Bridgeport rejects plea deal in fraud case Updated: Jul-30-15 2:55 pm
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - Former Bridgeport state Rep. Christina Ayala has rejected a plea deal in an alleged election fraud case and a trial has been scheduled for September.
- Woman sentenced to 18 months in prison in condo fraud Updated: Jul-30-15 1:23 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A woman has been sentenced to 18 months in federal prison and ordered to pay back over $956,000 after pleading guilty to defrauding Waterville Valley condominium associations.
- Most claims dismissed in case against disability lawyer Updated: Jul-30-15 12:49 pm
COVINGTON, Kentucky - A federal judge has dismissed most, but not all, claims in a lawsuit that accuses eastern Kentucky disability lawyer Eric Conn of colluding with a judge to rig Social Security cases.
- Salesman sentenced for defrauding NBA legend Dr. J, others Updated: Jul-30-15 11:46 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A luxury car salesman has been sentenced to 80 months in federal prison for defrauding former NBA player Julius "Dr. J" Erving and others.
- Ex-software engineer gets 2 years prison for insider trading Updated: Jul-29-15 7:50 pm
NEW YORK - A former software engineer at a prominent California law firm was sentenced Wednesday to two years in prison for insider trading by a judge who noted that he should have realized the dangers of what he was doing when one of his firm's lawyers was arrested on the same charges in a separate prosecution.
- Former BLM worker sentenced to 1 year for fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 7:12 pm
HELENA, Montana - A federal judge sentenced a former Bureau of Land Management employee on Wednesday to a year in prison after he pleaded guilty to continuing to draw a federal salary after leaving his job for another.
- Former head of investment firm sentenced on bankruptcy fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 6:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Ridgeland man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison after pleading guilty to one count of bankruptcy fraud.
- Man who allegedly defrauded Arizona organization is arrested Updated: Jul-29-15 5:12 pm
PRESCOTT, Arizona - Authorities say a man who allegedly defrauded an organization in Prescott out of about $1,600 has been arrested in Tennessee.
- Investment adviser pleads guilty in $1.2B Ponzi scheme Updated: Jul-29-15 4:26 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - An investment adviser on Wednesday become the latest of more than two dozen people to plead guilty in the $1.2 billion Ponzi scheme operated by disbarred attorney Scott Rothstein that collapsed more than five years ago.
- Portland man pleads guilty to art-forgery scheme Updated: Jul-29-15 4:20 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon man confessed to faking works created by well-known artists and selling some of the knockoffs to a gallery owner.
- Judge rejects claim that bourbon was falsely advertised Updated: Jul-29-15 4:01 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Chalk up another round for Maker's Mark distillery in fending off claims of misleading marketing for promoting its Kentucky bourbon as handmade.
- Floridian last of 12 convicted in Texas for timeshare fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 9:38 am
DALLAS - A Florida man could be sentenced to more than 500 years in prison for leading a $10 million timeshare scam in the U.S. and Canada.
- Conviction for voting in 2 states' 2010 elections tossed Updated: Jul-29-15 9:13 am
PHOENIX - An Arizona appeals court has overturned the conviction of a woman who voted in two states during the 2010 general election.
- Judge sentences Bossier City tax preparer for fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 8:58 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - A 55-year-old Bossier City woman has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for making and filing a false tax return.
- Norfolk man convicted on charges stemming from tax scheme Updated: Jul-29-15 7:19 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A Norfolk man faces up to 128 years in prison following his conviction on charges stemming from a tax refund scheme.
- By nearly any measure, sunny South Florida is tops in fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 4:52 am
MIAMI - Psssst - Need a phony ID? A fraudulent tax refund? Insurance money from a sham car crash? Florida may have just what you're looking for.
- Woman to stand trial for alleged cancer fraud scheme Updated: Jul-28-15 6:46 pm
LOS ANGELES - A woman who allegedly bilked people out of more than $100,000 by falsely claiming to have breast cancer will stand trial for theft and fraud.
- 2 Canadian men get 12-year sentences in Ponzi scheme Updated: Jul-28-15 2:56 pm
TORONTO - A judge has sentenced two men to 12 years in prison for one of the largest Ponzi schemes in Canadian history.
- Austin doctor gets 10 years in prison for Medicare fraud Updated: Jul-28-15 8:41 am
HOUSTON - An Austin physician has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison and must repay $1.2 million for Medicare fraud.
- Ohio man gets prison time in $1.1 million fraud case Updated: Jul-28-15 5:01 am
AKRON, Ohio - A northeast Ohio man at the helm of a large-scale fraud that swindled five states out of more than $1.1 million in unemployment benefits is heading to prison.
- 2 Ypsilanti residents convicted in home health fraud scheme Updated: Jul-28-15 2:19 am
DETROIT - Federal authorities say two Ypsilanti residents have been convicted for their roles in a $33 million Medicare fraud scheme involving home health care.
- Former OC yacht broker sentenced for $1.3M fraud Updated: Jul-27-15 6:52 pm
SANTA ANA, California - A former Orange County yacht broker has landed in troubled waters for stealing from and bilking his clients out of more than $1 million.