- In shift, US backs Sri Lanka's own war crimes probe Updated: Aug-26-15 7:01 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The United States said Wednesday that it wants to sponsor a resolution at next month's U.N. human rights session that is supportive of Sri Lanka's government, which wants to conduct its own investigation into alleged war crimes.
- Syria's attack on Douma a war crime, UN political chief says Updated: Aug-19-15 2:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. political chief is saying the Syrian government committed a war crime with its airstrikes on the Damascus suburb of Douma that killed some 100 people.
- Retrial of Vermont man in war crimes case set for early '16 Updated: Aug-18-15 11:05 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - A Vermont man is expected to face a second trial early next year on charges he lied about his role in Bosnian war crimes during the early 1990s.
- Mile Mrksic, Serb army officer convicted of war crimes, dies Updated: Aug-17-15 6:58 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese authorities say Mile Mrksic, a former Serb army officer sentenced by a U.N. tribunal to 20 years in prison for his part in the 1991 torture and killings of nearly 200 Croatians during the Balkan wars, has died. He was 68.
- AP Interview: Japan war leaders' scions want reconciliation Updated: Aug-15-15 8:31 pm
TOKYO - To Hidetoshi Tojo, his great-grandfather is a man in a black-and-white documentary film he saw some 30 years ago.
- Bangladesh court sentences 2 men for 1971 war crimes Updated: Aug-11-15 5:26 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A war crimes tribunal in Bangladesh sentenced one man to death and another to life in prison Tuesday for collaborating with Pakistan to commit mass killings and other crimes during the 1971 war for independence.
- Sudan's president, facing charges, scheduled to speak at UN Updated: Aug-04-15 6:29 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir, who faces international war crimes and genocide charges, is on a provisional list of speakers at a U.N. summit of world leaders in late September. If he speaks, al-Bashir would be the first head of state to address the General Assembly while facing charges by the International Criminal Court.
- Amnesty International accuses Sudanese forces of war crimes Updated: Aug-04-15 3:14 pm
CAIRO - Amnesty International said Tuesday it has "definitely confirmed" that Sudanese government forces committed war crimes against civilians in the South Kordofan region.
- Kosovo passes law on war crimes court Updated: Aug-04-15 6:29 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo lawmakers have approved a law to set up a special war crimes court paving the way for indictments to be filed against top wartime leaders and current politicians.
- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of US man Updated: Aug-01-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors have shelved their Nazi war crimes investigation of a retired Minnesota carpenter whom The Associated Press exposed as a former commander in an SS-led unit, saying Friday that the 96-year-old is not fit for trial.