- Ex-presidents meet with Venezuela government, oppo Updated: May-28-16 7:54 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A group of former presidents has held secret meetings in the Dominican Republic with Venezuelan officials and government opponents in an attempt to mediate the South American nation's political standoff.
- Vuitton show draws fashion world to crisis-hit Brazil Updated: May-28-16 6:52 pm
NITEROI, Brazil - The elite of the fashion world flocked to Brazil, defying an outbreak of the Zika virus, an economic meltdown and the deep political crisis afflicting the country to attend a runway show Saturday by revered French label Louis Vuitton.
- Putin visits Russian Orthodox monastic community in Greece Updated: May-28-16 6:27 pm
KARYES, Greece - Russian President Vladimir Putin visited a Russian Orthodox monastery Saturday as he wrapped up a two-day visit to Greece, which is looking for more Russian investment and tourism as it copes with a prolonged financial crisis and a massive wave of migrants.
- Bank acquires nearly century-old loan association in Omaha Updated: May-28-16 10:47 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - The little ol' savings and loan in Omaha's Benson neighborhood made it through the Great Depression of the 1930s, the S&L crisis of the 1980s and the financial meltdown of the 2000s.
- US economy showing signs of life after slow start to year Updated: May-27-16 5:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy is showing signs of more life after a less-than-stellar start to the year.
- Bill would end N Carolina electronics recycling program Updated: May-27-16 1:02 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's electronic recycling program and ban on such equipment in landfills would end in legislation making its way through the state Senate.
- Dump Trump? Some millennials aren't so sure Updated: May-27-16 8:06 am
COSTA MESA, California - Brendan De Regla drove three hours and waited in line for half a day to see Donald Trump speak at a rally in Southern California.
- Abe claims success as G-7 leaders back action on economies Updated: May-27-16 6:02 am
SHIMA, Japan - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe claimed success Friday in winning support for his approach to fighting off a possible economic crisis from fellow leaders of the Group of Seven wealthy nations, despite mounting evidence the formula is failing to yield promised results in Japan.
- Champions League final in Milan highlights Serie A's crisis Updated: May-26-16 10:02 pm
MILAN - AC Milan failed to qualify for Europe for a third straight season and club president Silvio Berlusconi is in negotiations to sell a majority stake in the club to a group of Chinese investors.
- Puerto Rico senators override veto, halt tax increase Updated: May-26-16 4:49 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor has lost a battle to increase a business-to-business tax and impose a transition to a value-added tax system amid an economic crisis.
- Clinton decries Trump 'deportation force' in Vegas speech Updated: May-26-16 3:16 pm
LAS VEGAS - Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton decried Donald Trump's deportation plan as a threat to American values and told an audience of about 300 union members in Las Vegas that it's time to unite to keep the Republican candidate out of the White House.
- UW to cut dozens of vacant positions to save millions Updated: May-26-16 12:45 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - At least 70 vacant faculty and staff positions at the University of Wyoming will be eliminated and looking at program cuts under a plan announced by new President Laurie Nichols to find $50 million in savings.
- Savchenko's return heralds new turmoil in Ukraine Updated: May-26-16 12:03 pm
MOSCOW - After being freed from a Russian jail, Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko stands to emerge as a wild new force in Ukraine's already volatile politics.
- New Zealanders to pay $20 for cigarette pack under tax plan Updated: May-26-16 2:36 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Smokers in New Zealand will pay $20 for a pack of cigarettes under the government's budget plan released Thursday. Polluting industries will also get hit with higher taxes.
- US probes e-commerce giant Alibaba's accounting practices Updated: May-25-16 4:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba wowed investors when it went public in the U.S. in September 2014, and its profits have bucked Wall Street expectations amid the Chinese economy's slowdown. Yet its unorthodox business structure has raised eyebrows, it's been suspended from an anti-counterfeiting group, and now U.S. regulators are investigating its accounting practices.
- Group of 7 seeks way forward for aging, faltering economies Updated: May-25-16 5:32 am
ISE, Japan - Leaders of the Group of Seven rich nations plan to voice unity over fighting terrorism, pandemics and tax evasion at their summit in Japan this week. Finding a consensus on how to breathe life into their sluggish economies is proving more elusive.
- Writers share Wodehouse comic fiction prize, win a pig Updated: May-24-16 7:09 pm
LONDON - Satires set in financial-crisis Ireland and the high-end art world share this year's Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for comic fiction, whose rewards include a bottle of champagne and a pig.
- Belt-tightening in Brazil aimed at fighting economic crisis Updated: May-24-16 7:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's acting president announced austerity measures Tuesday aimed at pulling Latin America's largest economy from its worst crisis in decades, warning that a failure to act will mean "extraordinary hardship" for future generations.
- Despite money woes, Atlantic City's attractions still open Updated: May-24-16 12:10 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City has been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately, with words like "bankruptcy" ''crisis" and "broke" figuring prominently.
- Report: European banks to struggle, may need to cut costs Updated: May-24-16 12:04 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - European banks are likely to struggle to make profits in months ahead and may need to cut costs, merge or change their business strategies to return to solid health, the European Central Bank said Tuesday.
- Argentina and Brazil agree to mediate in Venezuela crisis Updated: May-23-16 7:59 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Brazil and Argentina will work together to help find a solution to Venezuela's political crisis, Brazil's acting foreign minister said Monday.
- Appeals court reverses fraud finding against Bank of America Updated: May-23-16 3:51 pm
NEW YORK - Bank of America Corp. was not liable for fraud and subject to a penalty of more than $1.2 billion for its actions before the economy collapsed in 2008 despite a jury's finding to the contrary, a federal appeals court ruled Monday.
- Correction: Cyprus-Parliament-Elections story Updated: May-23-16 2:32 pm
NICOSIA, Cyprus - In one version of a story May 22 about parliamentary elections in Cyprus, The Associated Press erroneously switched the descriptions of northern and southern Cyprus.
- NY school solar program off to slow start, now regrouping Updated: May-23-16 10:16 am
ALBANY, New York - An ambitious program to install solar panels at New York's public schools, already off to a slow start, has to recruit a new partner after the financial collapse of one of the nation's largest solar companies.
- Winners announced in Michigan APME newspaper contest Updated: May-22-16 2:12 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Newspapers in Detroit, Flint and Greenville were named the best in the state Sunday in the annual Michigan Associated Press Media Editors newspaper competition.