- NYS grant enables Bronx Zoo to protect its historical photos Updated: Feb-08-16 11:06 am
NEW YORK - The Wildlife Conservation Society has received a New York state grant that will enable it to protect glass plate and film negatives dating to the founding of the Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium.
- Zoo uses Chinese New Year to highlight endangered species Updated: Feb-07-16 10:49 am
PARAMUS, New Jersey - A Chinese New Year celebration Saturday at the Bergen County Zoo, heralding the year of the monkey, put the spotlight an endangered species distinct for its red fur and small head surrounded by a lion-like mane.
- Zoo workers cruise to Antarctica before penguin center opens Updated: Feb-05-16 6:13 am
ROYAL OAK, Michigan - Eighteen Detroit Zoo employees are on a privately funded cruise to Antarctica this week ahead of the opening of the zoo's new $29.5 million Polk Penguin Conservation Center.
- Move sought for Japan's oldest elephant may be too late Updated: Feb-04-16 8:41 am
TOKYO - In the humble zoo, among the small cages of owls, guinea pigs and raccoons, Japan's oldest elephant stands in a concrete pen about the size of half of a basketball court. She drinks sugar water from a bucket and munches on bananas with her last remaining tooth while a debate is being waged about where she should live out her final years.
- South African rangers seek to track rhinos in wildlife park Updated: Feb-04-16 7:19 am
KRUGER NATIONAL PARK, South Africa - A heavily pregnant rhino lay in the scrub in a South African wildlife park, sedated by rangers who attached a tracking device to the threatened animal as part of efforts to stop poaching in a country with most of the world's rhinos.
- Denver Zoo tiger exhibit to give visitors an up-close look Updated: Feb-04-16 1:10 am
DENVER - Denver Zoo officials say they will be opening a new tiger exhibit that will give visitors new ways to connect and interact with the animals.
- Elephant herpes virus not cause of elephant's death Updated: Feb-03-16 4:11 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Zoo says the elephant herpes virus - or EEHV - was not the cause of death of an elephant at the zoo.
- Baby giraffe born at Greenville Zoo Updated: Feb-03-16 11:27 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - There is a new baby giraffe at the Greenville Zoo.
- Seattle group asks USDA to investigate elephant's death Updated: Feb-02-16 5:12 pm
SEATTLE - A Seattle-based advocacy group on Tuesday asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture to investigate the recent death of an Asian elephant at the Oklahoma City Zoo, saying it's concerned the zoo wasn't equipped to care for the animal.
- New Jersey groundhog dies day before annual prediction Updated: Feb-02-16 4:15 pm
WANTAGE, New Jersey - A New Jersey zoo's Groundhog Day had a pall cast over it after its groundhog died.
- Zoo's plans for cheetah-breeding site in Ohio move forward Updated: Feb-02-16 7:09 am
LEBANON, Ohio - A zoo's plan to breed cheetahs in a southwest Ohio county by the end of summer is moving forward.
- Swaziland to send 18 elephants to American zoos Updated: Feb-02-16 6:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - Some conservationists oppose the planned relocation of 18 elephants from Swaziland to zoos in the United States, but a U.S. official has said the animal transfer can be done humanely and is permissible under international law.
- Little Rock Zoo announces the death of male orangutan Updated: Feb-01-16 3:19 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Little Rock Zoo has announced the death of its male orangutan.
- Music festival promoter SFX files for bankruptcy protection Updated: Feb-01-16 2:31 pm
NEW YORK - The company behind the Electric Zoo and Tomorrowland music festivals has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
- Philadelphia Zoo throws 31st birthday party for gorilla Updated: Jan-28-16 4:30 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Zoo has thrown a 31st birthday party for Motuba the gorilla that included songs, presents and a cake made of his favorite foods.
- Zebra, 32, at Houston Zoo dies of age-related ailments Updated: Jan-27-16 4:30 pm
HOUSTON - A feisty 32-year-old zebra at the Houston Zoo known for sharing space with towering giraffes and holding her own has died of complications from old age.
- Denver Zoo mourns death of 48-year-old orangutan named Sally Updated: Jan-26-16 9:09 pm
DENVER - The Denver Zoo is mourning the death of a 48-year-old Sumatran orangutan named Sally.
- Roof collapses onto bird exhibit at eastern Pennsylvania zoo Updated: Jan-26-16 4:59 am
NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania - Officials say snow caused a zoo's roof to collapse in eastern Pennsylvania.
- South Bend zoo to let visitors get closer to the animals Updated: Jan-25-16 12:25 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - Next time you go to the Potawatomi Zoo, if you're in the right place at the right time, you might just find yourself face-to-face with an animal - that you can touch.
- Groups could challenge plan to bring elephants to Omaha zoo Updated: Jan-23-16 6:01 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Legal challenges from animal rights groups could delay plans to bring elephants from southern Africa to the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium in Omaha.
- San Antonio Zoo preschool to expand later this year Updated: Jan-22-16 2:17 pm
SAN ANTONIO - While some preschoolers can only imagine storybook animals like Curious George and Lyle the Crocodile coming to life in their classrooms, kids at the San Antonio Zoo's preschool get to see real monkeys and reptiles every day.
- Zoo euthanizes cheetah featured in National Geographic show Updated: Jan-22-16 9:19 am
CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Zoo says a 15-year-old cheetah once featured on a National Geographic special has been euthanized.
- Gorilla gives birth to baby at Amsterdam's Artis zoo Updated: Jan-22-16 8:34 am
AMSTERDAM - Amsterdam zoo Artis is celebrating a new arrival after its western lowland gorilla Sindy gave birth to a healthy baby.
- Animals at Gaza's zoos die of hunger, diseases Updated: Jan-22-16 7:41 am
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - The African tiger at the zoo in southern Gaza Strip was emaciated, its belly shrunken and its striped coat hanging loose. It strode nervously up and down its cage.
- Twin cheetahs die of uncommon disease at Baltimore zoo Updated: Jan-21-16 8:13 pm
BALTIMORE - The Maryland Zoo says twin female cheetahs have died there of an uncommon liver disease.