- Elderly elephant named in petition drive dies in Japan zoo Updated: May-26-16 8:59 am
TOKYO - An elephant that set off a petition drive to move her out of her concrete pen in a small zoo in Japan died Thursday at age 69.
- Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens welcomes new baby giraffe Updated: May-26-16 4:41 am
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is welcoming the arrival of a new baby giraffe.
- What a circus: Clowns beg lawmakers not to ban animal shows Updated: May-25-16 4:31 pm
PITTSBURGH - A public hearing on a proposed wild-animal entertainment ban that would keep circuses and similar shows out of the city ended up being a circus of sorts, complete with clowns who begged the City Council not to enact the measure.
- Buffalo Zoo's 1st lion cub in 25 years has a name: Tobias Updated: May-25-16 9:15 am
BUFFALO, New York - The first African lion cub to be born at the Buffalo Zoo in 25 years finally has an official name three months after his birth.
- North Carolina Zoo opening rope exploration course Updated: May-25-16 7:04 am
ASHEBORO, North Carolina - The North Carolina Zoo is set to open a forest exploration ropes course for adventurous visitors.
- Zoo Miami's 18-year-old Komodo dragon 'Khaos' dies Updated: May-25-16 5:30 am
MIAMI - Zoo Miami officials say an 18-year-old Komodo dragon named Khaos has died.
- Elephant rescued from Swaziland delivers calf at Dallas Zoo Updated: May-24-16 9:11 pm
DALLAS - An elephant rescued from the southern African nation of Swaziland has given birth to a baby at the Dallas Zoo.
- 1 of the oldest North American giraffes dies in Utah Updated: May-24-16 12:28 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - One of the oldest giraffes in North America has died at Utah's Hogle Zoo.
- Sacramento Zoo euthanizes zebra after declining health Updated: May-24-16 9:11 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Sacramento Zoo officials say a 20-year-old zebra has been euthanized after a rapid decline in health.
- 34-year-old orangutan dies at Columbus Zoo Updated: May-24-16 7:30 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A 34-year-old orangutan named Sally has died at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium.
- Chimp housed at Kansas zoo for 17 years dies at 44 Updated: May-23-16 8:14 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A chimpanzee housed for more than 17 years at the Wichita, Kansas, zoo has died at the age of 44.
- Hippo to leave Springfield zoo after more than 30 years Updated: May-23-16 5:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A Springfield zoo is saying goodbye to a hippo that's been the centerpiece of the park for more than 30 years.
- Man sneaks into North Dakota zoo, gets bit by bear Updated: May-22-16 3:07 pm
MINOT, North Dakota - A bear didn't take too kindly to a man who sneaked into a North Dakota zoo about six hours after it closed.
- Iowa zoo expecting rare baby eastern black rhino this fall Updated: May-21-16 6:44 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A zoo in Iowa is expecting a new and rare addition in the fall: an eastern black rhinoceros.
- Man mauled after entering Chile zoo's lion pen, 2 cats slain Updated: May-21-16 5:26 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Two lions were killed after they severely mauled a man who stripped naked and entered their enclosure in an apparent suicide attempt early Saturday, authorities said.
- 2nd-oldest known female orangutan dies at Chicago zoo Updated: May-21-16 3:06 pm
CHICAGO - A 54-year-old orangutan named Maggie who was the second-oldest known female of her species has died at Chicago's Brookfield Zoo following weeks of declining health.
- Ohio zoo photographer chronicles comings, goings of animals Updated: May-21-16 9:35 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Grahm Jones had already photographed lions, zebras and gazelles on a recent weekday morning when he went nose-to-lens with a giraffe.
- Excerpts from recent North Dakota editorials Updated: May-19-16 1:26 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The Bismarck Tribune, Bismarck, May 18, 2016
- Deer returned to wild after wandering into Detroit Zoo Updated: May-19-16 1:21 pm
ROYAL OAK, Michigan - A white-tailed deer wandered into a zoo in suburban Detroit before it was caught and returned to the wild.
- Taiwan panda's 'proof of life' photo debunks death rumors Updated: May-18-16 7:24 am
BEIJING - The subject of the photo looks out from behind bars, with newspapers arranged in front of him to prove what day it is. This "proof of life" shot is not a scene from a kidnapping but an effort by the Taipei Zoo to debunk rumors that a prized panda recently died.
- New sea lion exhibit to open at Riverbanks Zoo Updated: May-18-16 4:53 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia is welcoming its newest residents: four sea lions and one harbor seal.
- Playful lion cubs make debut at Utah zoo Updated: May-17-16 3:59 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake City's new lion cubs are ready for their public debut, but they don't have the fierce persona down just yet.
- Coyote in E. Idaho zoo exhibit killed, another injured Updated: May-16-16 5:59 pm
POCATELLO, Idaho - Officials at an eastern Idaho zoo are investigating after a coyote inside an exhibit was killed and another injured.
- Decisions on fate of Baton Rouge Zoo not expected until fall Updated: May-16-16 8:19 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A possible move for the Baton Rouge Zoo has been at the forefront of discussions about a proposed $110 million rebuild of the 46-year-old attraction. But it could be as much as a year from now until final decisions are made.
- Ohio moves to protect corn mazes, farm markets from lawsuits Updated: May-14-16 9:26 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Farmers who run pumpkin patches, corn mazes and petting zoos say they can't always stop an aggressive goat from chomping down on a visitor's hand or prevent someone from stumbling in a field.