- No threat found after UW-Madison student union evacuated Updated: Jul-05-15 12:07 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Police have searched parts of the Madison campus of the University of Wisconsin and found no one with a weapon after receiving a call from a man who said he had a firearm in the library.
- Challengers face Republican incumbents in DeSoto County Updated: Jul-04-15 7:15 pm
SOUTHAVEN, Mississippi - A battle to shape the Republican membership of Mississippi's House of Representatives is playing out door to door in DeSoto County.
- Springfield teacher charged with sexual abuse Updated: Jul-04-15 2:07 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A Springfield teacher has been charged with sexually abusing a foster child in her care.
- The Latest: Lawmakers leave Salem for 4th of July weekend Updated: Jul-04-15 12:17 am
SALEM, Oregon - The latest on the activities of the Oregon Legislature as lawmakers press closer to adjourning the 2015 legislative session:
- Patrick grassroots board dissolves amid tea party grumbling Updated: Jul-03-15 6:46 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The grassroots advisory board Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick set up as a sounding board for his tea party constituency is dissolving after a legislative session that left the leadership of that constituency dissatisfied.
- NY prosecutor questions low numbers on school bullying Updated: Jul-03-15 3:34 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A suburban New York prosecutor says compliance with a state law requiring schools to report incidents of bullying, harassment or intimidation is a "disaster."
- Attorney seeks expedited hearing in desegregation case Updated: Jul-03-15 3:11 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An attorney in the decades-old Little Rock schools desegregation case is asking a federal judge to provide direction on how board members should be elected in the new Jacksonville School District.
- Man to trial in drug-related double shooting near Edinboro U Updated: Jul-03-15 10:32 am
MCKEAN, Pennsylvania - A former northwestern Pennsylvania university student has been ordered to stand trial on attempted homicide and other charges in what police say was a drug-related shooting of two other students.
- Former teacher gets 22 years for sex with students Updated: Jul-03-15 3:04 am
BARTOW, Florida - A former central Florida high school teacher has been sentenced to 22 years in prison for having sex with three of her male students.
- Man charged in connection with gun incident in school Updated: Jul-02-15 6:40 pm
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - A New London man has been arrested in connection with an incident at a city middle school in April when a student accidentally fired a gun in a bathroom. No one was injured.
- School district defends proposed discipline plan Updated: Jul-02-15 6:19 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A revised code of conduct proposed by the Oklahoma City school district is being heavily criticized by the teachers union.
- Sex offenders sue, cite Indiana's religious objections law Updated: Jul-02-15 6:01 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A lawsuit filed on behalf of two registered sex offenders cites Indiana's new religious objections law in arguing they've been wrongly prohibited from worshipping at churches that have schools on the same property.
- Highlights of Wisconsin budget up for final committee vote Updated: Jul-02-15 2:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The two-year state budget up for passage Thursday by the Republican-controlled Joint Finance Committee is expected to be taken up by the Assembly on Tuesday. It's unknown when the Senate will vote on it. Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said Wednesday that he does not have the votes for the budget in its current form.
- School district sees drop in pot-related expulsions Updated: Jul-02-15 12:05 pm
GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado - School officials in Grand Junction are crediting counseling and a campus security officer with decreasing expulsions for students caught with marijuana.
- Imprisoned ex-teacher gets 6-15 years for sex with student Updated: Jul-02-15 10:16 am
MOUNT CLEMENS, Michigan - A former southeastern Michigan teacher already serving time in prison on charges she had sex with a 15-year-old student has been sentenced to 6-15 years for related charges in Macomb County.
- Lafourche begins school safety upgrades Updated: Jul-02-15 7:15 am
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - The Lafourche Parish school system is spending $29 million over the next 10 years on school safety.
- Suspended WV teacher pleads guilty to gun charge Updated: Jul-02-15 3:07 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A suspended high school math teacher has pleaded guilty to buying a gun for a felon.
- Family sues after California frat pledge died on hazing hike Updated: Jul-01-15 9:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - The family of a California college student who died during a grueling fraternity hike sued the organization and the school on Wednesday, saying the young man's death was senseless and easily preventable.
- Washington has a budget, but Legislature isn't finished Updated: Jul-01-15 9:31 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state has a budget for the next two years. The government has not shut down. So why haven't state lawmakers gone home for summer vacation? They still have work to do.
- North Carolina high schools suspend driver's education Updated: Jul-01-15 3:56 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - With state funding to help pay for driver's education in question, at least a third of North Carolina's school systems are suspending their programs this summer.
- Judge pulls bond of teacher in student-sex intimidation case Updated: Jul-01-15 1:26 pm
PITTSBURGH - A Pennsylvania high school teacher awaiting trial on charges he had sex with a student and previously intimidated the girl by contacting her must remain jailed for again phoning and emailing the girl despite a court order, a judge ruled Wednesday.
- Democrats, public school advocates call for budget changes Updated: Jun-30-15 2:42 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democrats and public education advocates say they want to remove budget provisions that would provide special education vouchers and additional private school vouchers.
- Topping off ceremony set for new Sandy Hook school Updated: Jun-30-15 1:23 pm
NEWTOWN, Connecticut - Officials in Newtown are marking progress in the construction of a school to replace the one where a gunman killed 20 children and six educators.
- Expulsions for uniform violations barred for young students Updated: Jun-30-15 4:08 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's public schools are prohibited from suspending or expelling elementary school students for violating school uniform rules.
- University of California sued over sex assault claims Updated: Jun-29-15 7:00 pm
OAKLAND, California - Three current and former University of California, Berkeley students sued the school on Monday, accusing administrators of not doing enough to investigate their sexual assault claims and hand out punishment.