- Tupelo school system moves forward on building safe rooms Updated: Feb-11-16 6:30 am
TOPELO, Mississippi - The Tupelo Public School District is moving forward with construction of storm shelters at three elementary schools.
- Ex-deputy sentenced on charge of sex with underage students Updated: Feb-11-16 5:56 am
CLANTON, Alabama - A former sheriff's deputy who also was a Chilton County school resource officer and teacher has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to multiple counts of sexual conduct with underage students.
- Tennessee House scheduled to vote on school voucher proposal Updated: Feb-11-16 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A proposal to create a school voucher program to help cover private school tuition for children attending some Tennessee's worst public schools is scheduled for a floor vote in the state House on Thursday.
- Man suspected of wounding 3 after basketball game arraigned Updated: Feb-10-16 8:12 pm
MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Michigan - A 21-year-old suspect shot and wounded three people, including two students, after a high school basketball game in western Michigan before a sheriff's deputy shot and wounded him, authorities said Wednesday.
- Police: Teacher charged with sexual assault of student Updated: Feb-10-16 7:49 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A teacher at a college preparatory school has been arrested and charged with sexual assault following allegations she had an inappropriate relationship with a student.
- Teen charged with taking gun on school bus Updated: Feb-10-16 5:44 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Authorities say a Tampa Bay area teen was arrested after another student reported that he was loading a handgun on a school bus.
- The Latest: Kansas House budget plan still hits university Updated: Feb-10-16 5:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas House's debate on budget legislation (all times local):
- Sponsor delays hearing on protecting gay marriage objectors Updated: Feb-10-16 4:54 pm
ATLANTA - A powerful Georgia Senate committee has delayed a hearing on a bill allowing religious adoption agencies, schools, government workers and others to refuse services to same-sex couples without being penalized.
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama, officers disciplined after arrest video Updated: Feb-10-16 4:45 pm
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - A police chief says officers who were recorded using a stun gun and baton on University of Alabama students after a football game party last fall have been ordered to do more training and one remains on paid administrative leave.
- Maryland lawmakers outline gun control measures Updated: Feb-10-16 4:28 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Democrats outlined a package of gun control measures on Wednesday as part of their legislative priorities this session.
- School board: Basketball team can play during hazing probe Updated: Feb-10-16 1:33 pm
LEECHBURG, Pennsylvania - A western Pennsylvania high school basketball team can play while police investigate alleged hazing-related assaults over the last decade, a school board decided.
- Police: Good Samaritan with gun helps officer being attacked Updated: Feb-10-16 12:38 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Police in suburban Philadelphia say a good Samaritan with a gun helped an officer who was being attacked by a group of teens.
- Suspended USD basketball player leaves team permanently Updated: Feb-10-16 11:22 am
VERMILLION, South Dakota - University of South Dakota basketball coach Craig Smith has confirmed that point guard Shy McClelland has permanently left the team after being suspended.
- More than 300 children enrolled by DHS in literacy program Updated: Feb-10-16 10:27 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee's Department of Human Services says it has enrolled more than 300 Tennessee children in a program that aims to improve child literacy.
- Waiver request denied for school day missed due to threats Updated: Feb-10-16 8:21 am
PLAINFIELD, Indiana - The Indiana Department of Education has denied a waiver request from Plainfield schools for a day missed in December because of online threats.
- FBI investigates bomb threats at Mississippi schools Updated: Feb-10-16 6:39 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Authorities say the FBI and the Office of Homeland Security are investigating bomb threats at seven Mississippi school districts.
- Ex-teacher's aide pleads not guilty to assaulting teen boys Updated: Feb-10-16 4:42 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - A former Connecticut teacher's aide accused of having a sexual relationship with two teenage boys has pleaded not guilty to sexual assault charges.
- Student arrested after gun found in backpack Updated: Feb-10-16 3:00 am
APOPKA, Florida - A central Florida high school was placed on lockdown after authorities reported finding a gun in a student's backpack.
- School evacuated after note on van threatens explosion Updated: Feb-10-16 1:41 am
CORONA, California - Police in Southern California evacuated about 1,000 people from homes and an elementary school for much of the day after finding a parked van with a man unconscious inside and a note on the windshield saying the vehicle would explode if it was moved.
- 2 college faculty fired in scandal over freshman retention Updated: Feb-09-16 10:30 pm
A plan to identify freshmen most likely to fail has erupted into a scandal, faculty firings and a demotion at Mount St. Mary's University after the Catholic school's president reportedly likened the students to baby rabbits that should be killed.
- Oklahoma wildfires threaten homes; smoke risky for drivers Updated: Feb-09-16 7:26 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Grass fires pushed along by 35 mph wind gusts forced an elementary school to keep some children after hours Tuesday as wildfires threatened Oklahoma ahead of its annual tornado season.
- Fries with that? Man accused of tossing gator at drive-thru Updated: Feb-09-16 6:14 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - Alligators have been used as shoes, briefcases, university mascots, lunch and now, authorities say, a deadly weapon.
- Man gets 15 to 40 years in slaying of friend near university Updated: Feb-09-16 4:33 pm
EDINBORO, Pennsylvania - A man has been sentenced to 15 to 40 years in prison in the shooting death of a friend outside an off-campus apartment complex near a northwestern Pennsylvania university.
- Convict in student killing denied parole on lesser charge Updated: Feb-09-16 4:32 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A man serving a life sentence for the rape and slaying of a University of New Hampshire student has been conditionally denied parole for a lesser charge associated with that crime.
- Iowa college to hire shooting coach despite alumni objection Updated: Feb-09-16 3:51 pm
INDIANOLA, Iowa - An Iowa college is sticking with its decision to hire a full-time coach for its shooting sports club, despite opposition from alumni and others who say guns have no place on the liberal arts school's campus.