- Wanted Taiwanese fugitive dies in car accident in California Updated: May-31-16 9:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - A former tycoon who was one of Taiwan's most wanted fugitives was in the middle of a decade-long fight to stay in the United States when he was killed in a California car accident, federal court records show.
- The Latest: Arizona sheriff could see more contempt hearings Updated: May-31-16 6:38 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on a hearing for contempt-of-court violations for Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio (all times local):
- Justice Dept. pushes back against Texas judge's sanctions Updated: May-31-16 6:28 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department pushed back Tuesday against a Texas judge's demand that its lawyers attend an ethics course, saying the sanction is inappropriate and that complying with it could cost the government and taxpayers millions of dollars over the next few years.
- House softens foreign language requirement, adds civics test Updated: May-31-16 5:53 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Republican-controlled House would let high school students skip out on foreign language classes while requiring stricter civics class requirements under measures approved Tuesday.
- Mediterranean Sea disasters leave more than 1,000 dead Updated: May-31-16 5:46 pm
GENEVA - The treacherous Mediterranean Sea crossing from Libya to Italy claimed the lives of at least 1,083 migrants over the past week - mostly because barely seaworthy smuggling boats foundered and sank despite calm seas and sunny skies, a migration agency said Tuesday, citing new accounts from survivors.
- Health officials now confirm 11 cases of measles in Arizona Updated: May-30-16 5:08 pm
ELOY, Arizona - An outbreak of measles that began with an inmate at a federal detention center for immigrants in central Arizona has now grown to 11 confirmed cases, officials said Monday.
- UK charges 2 men with immigration offenses after boat rescue Updated: May-30-16 11:08 am
LONDON - Two British men have been charged with immigration offenses after the weekend rescue of 18 Albanians whose small inflatable boat was taking on water in the English Channel, UK officials said Monday.
- Denied licenses, immigrants plan march across Rhode Island Updated: May-30-16 8:03 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Immigrants who aren't allowed to drive are planning a long march across Rhode Island to protest political inaction on legislation that would have granted driver's licenses to people in the country illegally.
- Advocates to walk 75-mile pilgrimage from border to Tucson Updated: May-30-16 5:58 am
TUCSON, Arizona - An annual pilgrimage from the U.S.-Mexico border to Tucson that aims to draw attention to the plight of immigrants will begin on Memorial Day.
- New Jersey family comes full circle at Ellis Island Updated: May-29-16 10:08 am
METUCHEN, New Jersey - One hundred years ago, Dotty Epstein's mother, grandparents and uncles arrived at Ellis Island after a long and arduous journey. Coming from Salonica, Greece, the family- which never spoke much about the experience -traveled together to the new world. Of Sephardic Jewish descent, life in Salonica had become more dangerous. It was time to go.
- German rhetoric on Afghan migrants doesn't meet reality Updated: May-29-16 5:13 am
BERLIN - The 75 people stuffed onto the small dinghy watched with horror as the water flowed in, eventually covering bags filled with clothes and mementos from the devastated homes they were fleeing. Jawad, a 25-year-old Afghan, prayed as he huddled with his wife, daughter and infant son.
- Fiesta raises money for immigration services Updated: May-28-16 10:55 am
MCMINNVILLE, Oregon - Immigrants often have many questions about their legal status and path to citizenship. In McMinnville, many of them turn to AnaVella Magana, an immigration counselor at Lutheran Community Services Northwest.
- Trump rallies in San Diego, Fresno draw big protests Updated: May-27-16 7:43 pm
SAN DIEGO - Donald Trump campaign rallies drew vocal crowds of protesters in San Diego and Fresno on Friday, all under heavy police presence following similar events around the country that led to violence and arrests.
- Immigrant licenses jump before law change Updated: May-27-16 5:47 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The number of immigrants seeking driver's licenses in New Mexico surged during the first three months of the year as lawmakers debated changes to a long-contested policy that allowed for those living in the country illegally to obtain licenses, according to a review by The Associated Press.
- Parents of woman killed in San Francisco sues city, feds Updated: May-27-16 5:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The parents of a woman killed on a San Francisco pier have sued the city and two federal agencies, accusing them of contributing to her death because the man charged in the slaying was in the country illegally.
- Donald Trump breaks with nation's only Latina governor Updated: May-27-16 3:03 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - It was a stunning rebuke - even by Donald Trump's standards - aimed at the nation's only Latina governor at a political rally in her home state of New Mexico.
- House speaker: No immigrant driver's licenses this year Updated: May-27-16 12:21 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House speaker says lawmakers won't act this year on legislation that would allow immigrants in the country illegally to obtain driver's licenses.
- Activist sues over denied deferred deportation renewal Updated: May-27-16 10:18 am
CHICAGO - A 29-year-old Chicago woman is suing several federal agencies after they rejected her renewal for deferred deportation status.
- State: ID fraud charges against 12 construction workers Updated: May-27-16 4:24 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's attorney general says a dozen workers for a Flora construction company are accused of identity fraud and violating the Mississippi Employment Protection Act.
- New US ambassador to Mexico arrives to take up post Updated: May-26-16 7:26 pm
MEXICO CITY - Roberta Jacobson arrived to assume her new role as the United States ambassador to Mexico on Thursday, coming at a time when immigration and Mexican trade have been heated themes in the U.S. presidential campaign.
- Undocumented immigrant, 17, on track to be Dallas teacher Updated: May-26-16 6:01 pm
DALLAS - Melisa Simon is poised, confident and a hard worker. She's also an immigrant without immigration papers, crossing the U.S. border from Mexico with her family at age 3. She was told by her mother early on that life in her new country would be tough.
- Louisiana man pleads guilty to defrauding illegal immigrants Updated: May-26-16 5:43 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Louisiana man has pleaded guilty to a charge that he preyed on dozens of illegal immigrants in federal detention facilities by promising them legal assistance but taking their money without providing any help.
- Some Hispanics face ridicule over support for Trump Updated: May-26-16 3:30 pm
ANAHEIM, California - Hispanic voters in Florida, New Mexico and California have waved Mexican flags and bashed Donald Trump piÃ±atas - clashing with police, at times - to protest the Republican presidential contender's hard line approach to immigration.
- Human smuggler fined, faces deportation after prison Updated: May-26-16 6:47 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A Mexican national found smuggling 10 immigrants into the United States has been fined $5,000 and faces deportation after serving prison time.
- The Weeknd, Belly cancel Kimmel performance because of Trump Updated: May-25-16 10:27 pm
NEW YORK - R&B singer The Weeknd and rapper Belly have canceled their performance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" because Donald Trump was set to appear on the episode.