- Judge: Suspect's confession OK in California pier shooting Updated: Sep-03-15 9:01 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A judge declined Thursday to toss out the confession of a suspect charged with murder in a San Francisco shooting at the center of the national immigration debate.
- Kansas case highlights paradox in immigration-related cases Updated: Sep-03-15 8:10 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Federal prosecutors are expected to ask a judge on Friday to deny bond to a Mexican man jailed in Kansas for unlawful re-entry into the U.S., but not because they think he might flee: They fear he'll get deported before facing trial. Again.
- Court: Transgender asylum seekers can't be equated with gays Updated: Sep-03-15 6:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Transgender people can be especially vulnerable to harassment and attacks and shouldn't be equated with gays and lesbians by U.S. immigration officials determining whether to grant asylum, a federal appeals court said Thursday.
- Immigrants, refugees to receive papal blessing in NYC Updated: Sep-03-15 5:02 pm
NEW YORK - Pope Francis will offer a special blessing to a group of immigrants and refugees in New York, including those who are undocumented, highlighting two contentious issues in American politics.
- Father of dead boys: 'All I want is to be with my children' Updated: Sep-03-15 3:12 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - He is one among many, far too many. But the plight of one boy, washed up like a piece of debris on a Turkish beach, has focused the world's attention on a wave of war-and-deprivation-fueled migration unmatched since World War II.
- Brothers denied bail on charges they beat homeless immigrant Updated: Sep-03-15 3:04 pm
BOSTON - Two brothers charged with beating a homeless Mexican man after being inspired in part by Donald Trump's views on immigrants were ordered held without bail Thursday.
- Teacher apologizes for anti-immigrant signs in hallway Updated: Sep-02-15 2:26 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - An Asheville high school teacher has issued a tearful apology after anti-immigration signs that were part of a class assignment and placed in a hallway outside her classroom led to angry reactions from students and parents.
- NYC council speaker endorses Hillary Clinton for president Updated: Sep-02-15 12:16 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, a liberal who is becoming a national voice on issues such as immigration, has endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton for president.
- Denmark to review some naturalization applications Updated: Sep-02-15 10:41 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - In a move to further tighten immigration laws, Denmark's integration minister said Wednesday she wants to review thousands of applications for naturalization from people who had been exempted from the mandatory Danish language test because of war-related traumas.
- Hearing set on appeal for activist over immigration crime Updated: Sep-02-15 6:19 am
DETROIT - A Chicago activist's appeal of the 18-month prison sentence she was given for lying about her convictions for bombings in Israel when she sought U.S. citizenship is scheduled to be heard this fall.
- Archbishop assails Trump over birthright citizenship repeal Updated: Sep-01-15 9:04 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The leader of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia on Tuesday attacked GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump's call for ending automatic citizenship for children born to immigrants living illegally in the U.S., saying the idea "plays on our worst fears and resentments."
- Immigrants sue 2 Mississippi companies over work issues Updated: Sep-01-15 6:17 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Six immigrants are suing two Mississippi companies, saying the firms misled them about wages they would be paid to work in landscaping jobs under contracts with the state Department of Transportation.
- Immigrants with disputed status sue for GA driver's licenses Updated: Sep-01-15 6:25 am
ATLANTA - A group of immigrants whose legal residency is disputed sued Georgia's state government Monday for refusing to issue them driver's licenses.
- Parents of SF pier murder victim to file legal claim Updated: Sep-01-15 6:13 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The parents of a San Francisco woman shot to death by a man being sought for deportation plan to file legal claims against San Francisco and federal officials in connection with her killing.
- 244 arrested in Southern California immigration sting Updated: Aug-31-15 7:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - Immigration agents arrested more than 240 people with criminal records during a four-day sting in Southern California, authorities said Monday in a show of force that comes as fewer people are being deported.
- Walker says wall along Canadian border worth reviewing Updated: Aug-30-15 10:30 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is putting a new twist on the topic of securing the border, a staple among the GOP candidates running for president, by pointing north.
- Immigration shift shows India, China outpacing Mexico Updated: Aug-29-15 6:05 pm
DALLAS - Siddharth Jaganath wanted to return to India after earning his master's degree at Texas' Southern Methodist University. Instead, he built a new life in the U.S. over a decade, becoming a manager at a communications technology company and starting a family in the Dallas suburb of Plano.
- Lawsuit claims Lexington attorney defrauded immigrants Updated: Aug-29-15 2:04 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - A lawsuit filed in federal court accuses a Lexington attorney of defrauding immigrants by charging them to block deportations while knowing they weren't eligible to stay in the United States.
- Marshall professor making anti-discrimination film Updated: Aug-29-15 9:41 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - When Syrian immigrant George Rashid traveled to the United States in 1901, he arrived envisioning a life of prosperity and limitless opportunity.
- Latin music academy protests Trump's immigration proposals Updated: Aug-28-15 10:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is drawing protests from another Latino organization - this time, one based in the music industry.
- Abortion-rights activists to protest Trump fundraiser Updated: Aug-28-15 3:26 pm
NORWOOD, Massachusetts - Abortion-rights activists are planning to protest outside a private fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Friday night.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Texas worker gets prison time for selling driver's licenses Updated: Aug-28-15 5:17 am
DALLAS - A woman accused of selling driver's licenses to more than 28 illegal immigrants while working at the Texas Department of Safety has been sentenced to 15 months in federal prison.
- 29 to become citizens at DC's MLK memorial Updated: Aug-28-15 2:18 am
WASHINGTON - Twenty-nine people will become citizens during a ceremony at the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial in Washington.
- Gov. Ige says early immigration screening is Hawaii priority Updated: Aug-27-15 6:26 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige said Thursday it's a top priority for Hawaii that the U.S. be able to process Japanese travelers for immigration and customs before they even get on a plane for the islands.