- Panel OKs revamped New Mexico REAL ID bill with fingerprints Updated: Feb-12-16 8:51 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The latest on New Mexico lawmakers' REAL ID debate (all times local):
- Texas OKs licensing path for immigrant detention centers Updated: Feb-12-16 8:17 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Two of the nation's largest federal immigrant family detention centers can soon apply for residential child care licenses in Texas.
- Californian deported to Turkey for supporting terrorism Updated: Feb-12-16 6:08 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A former California resident has been deported to Turkey for providing material support to terrorists.
- Plans for Colorado shelter for immigrant children scrapped Updated: Feb-12-16 3:50 pm
DENVER - The federal government is abandoning plans to open a temporary shelter for unaccompanied immigrant children in suburban Denver, saying it would take too much time and money to get the site ready.
- Restaurant owner charged in fire that killed immigrants Updated: Feb-12-16 3:50 pm
DETROIT - Federal officials charged a suburban Detroit restaurant owner and his wife Friday with harboring immigrants who were in the U.S. without legal permission after a fire at a house he owned killed five employees about two weeks earlier.
- Revitalized El Paso ready to show off for papal tourists Updated: Feb-11-16 8:42 pm
EL PASO, Texas - No longer the desolate space it was a few years ago, downtown El Paso is ripe with new hotels, bars, restaurants - and bulldozers that herald the planned construction of a streetcar, a children's museum, a Mexican-American cultural center and new mixed-used buildings.
- Feds charge California man in 7-state immigration scam Updated: Feb-11-16 8:25 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal authorities charged a Sacramento man Thursday with running what they called an unusually creative scam that promised U.S. citizenships to hundreds of immigrants across at least seven states in return for fees as high as $10,000.
- Migrant advocates decry Arizona bills targeting immigrants Updated: Feb-11-16 3:31 pm
PHOENIX - A migrant justice organization spoke out against a wave of legislation targeting immigrants Thursday as an Arizona House panel passed a bill that would cut off state shared revenue from municipalities that obstruct immigration enforcement.
- Udall, Heinrich seek deportation raid halt, break with Obama Updated: Feb-11-16 12:33 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico's two U.S. Democratic senators want President Barack Obama to halt deportation raids targeting Central American women and children.
- Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham becomes an American citizen Updated: Feb-11-16 9:39 am
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Steelers placekicker Shaun Suisham (SWEEZ'-ham) has become an American citizen.
- Santa Fe archbishop to host Albuquerque forum on immigration Updated: Feb-10-16 5:01 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Santa Fe Archbishop John Wester is planning to host a forum around the subject of immigration.
- Texas couple charged with forcing nanny to work for no pay Updated: Feb-09-16 8:21 pm
HOUSTON - A Houston-area couple forced a Nigerian woman to care for their five children and home without pay during a two-year period in which she was physically and verbally abused, made to work nearly 20 hours a day and told to sleep on the floor, federal authorities say.
- A look at Obama's final budget proposal Updated: Feb-09-16 5:26 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama proposed a record $4.1 trillion budget on Tuesday. Here's a look at each agency and department:
- The Latest: Texas man in nanny imprisonment case given bond Updated: Feb-09-16 5:00 pm
HOUSTON - The Latest on a Houston-area couple accused of forcing a Nigerian woman to care for their children and home without pay: (all times local):
- Arizona bill aims to give state the right to refuse refugees Updated: Feb-09-16 2:41 pm
PHOENIX - Legislation being proposed by an Arizona House Republican would allow the state to refuse to help resettle refugees if it can't ensure they have been properly screened and vetted for terrorism risks.
- Democrats vying for US Senate talk up experience, background Updated: Feb-08-16 5:06 pm
CHICAGO - Meeting for the first time this election season, the three Illinois Democrats vying for U.S. Senate worked to distinguish themselves from each other and their GOP rivals Monday, sharing stories of difficult childhoods, business backgrounds and time in the trenches of struggling Chicago neighborhoods.
- Reborn Maine mill town offers lessons amid refugee crisis Updated: Feb-08-16 4:55 pm
LEWISTON, Maine - The arrival of thousands of Somali refugees in this former mill city in the nation's whitest state sparked a backlash at first, complete with a rally of white supremacists and a pig's head rolled into the local mosque.
- Guest-worker program helps Louisiana seafood facilities Updated: Feb-08-16 12:09 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Congress' decision to quadruple the size of a guest-worker program might be described as a gift to Louisiana's seafood processing industry, which struggles to fill the seasonal jobs each year.
- Controversial minister to become Australia's rights envoy Updated: Feb-08-16 2:18 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The former Australian immigration minister who began the widely condemned policy of sending asylum seekers to Pacific island detention camps will become Australia's first special envoy for human rights, the government said Monday.
- AP FACT CHECK: Fumbles from the Republican field Updated: Feb-08-16 1:13 am
WASHINGTON - What happened in Iowa didn't stay in Iowa. And when it reached the stage in the latest Republican presidential debate, Ted Cruz had some explaining to do.
- After 2 ½ years, feds return money to man in marriage probe Updated: Feb-07-16 12:02 pm
WALLED LAKE, Michigan - Federal agents arrived around dawn at a home in suburban Detroit. Foggy at that hour and shirtless, the owner answered the door and was told he was the target of a sham marriage investigation.
- Review-Journal endorses Marco Rubio for Nevada's GOP caucus Updated: Feb-06-16 4:29 pm
LAS VEGAS - Nevada's largest newspaper is endorsing Sen. Marco Rubio for Nevada's Republican caucus.
- Anti-Islam groups rally across Europe; clashes in Amsterdam Updated: Feb-06-16 1:09 pm
DRESDEN, Germany - Protesters rallied against Islam and immigration in several European cities Saturday, sometimes clashing with police or counter-demonstrators amid growing tensions over the massive influx of asylum-seekers to the continent.
- Utah plans to repeal guest worker law that never took effect Updated: Feb-05-16 5:13 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Five years after Utah passed a guest worker law lauded as a compassionate approach to address immigrants living in the country illegally, the state is seeking to repeal the never-implemented program.
- After much upheaval Danish TV has a request: "Don't hate us" Updated: Feb-05-16 5:03 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Danish television has a request for the world: "Don't hate us!"