- US combat death in Iraq reflects intensifying war Updated: May-03-16 8:15 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - The combat death of a U.S Navy SEAL who was advising Kurdish forces in Iraq coincides with a gradually deepening American role in fighting a resilient Islamic State, even as the Iraqis struggle to muster the military and political strength to defeat the militants.
- Former VA police officer accused of molesting Kansas girls Updated: May-03-16 7:59 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A former police officer for the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Kansas City, Missouri, is accused of sexually abusing two girls in Kansas.
- Homeland security conference kicks off in Sioux Falls Updated: May-03-16 7:23 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The state Department of Public Safety says a homeland security conference covering preparedness, prevention and response has kicked off in Sioux Falls.
- Nurse who refused to force feed at Guantanamo back to duty Updated: May-03-16 7:15 pm
MIAMI - A Navy nurse is resuming full duties nearly two years after running afoul of commanders for refusing to take part in force-feeding of prisoners on hunger strike at the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Court files show bid to tar slain Honduran activist Caceres Updated: May-03-16 4:08 pm
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras - For months before her death, environmental activist Berta Caceres complained of repeated threats warning her to stop leading protests opposing a hydroelectric project on her Lenca people's ancestral lands.
- South Carolina military police on tap for Guantanamo force Updated: May-03-16 3:07 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Military police from the South Carolina Army National Guard have been ordered to prepare for a possible deployment to Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba as early as this fall, a Guard official said Tuesday.
- Kenya: Police disrupt alleged plot by extremist medics Updated: May-03-16 3:03 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan police have disrupted a cell of extremist medics linked to the Islamic State group suspected of plotting a biological attack on Kenya and recruiting university students to join the group in Libya and Syria, Kenya's police chief said Tuesday
- US defense secretary says Russia is 'nuclear saber-rattling' Updated: May-03-16 2:20 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter blasted what the U.S. and its allies see as Russian aggression in Europe, saying Tuesday that Moscow is "going backward in time" with warlike actions that compel an American military buildup on NATO's eastern flank.
- Tribunal: India, Italy should agree on Italian marine's bail Updated: May-03-16 10:15 am
NEW DELHI - India and Italy should work toward an agreement to allow an Italian marine to return home while an arbitration process continues in the fatally shootings of two Indian fishermen in 2012, a tribunal said Tuesday.
- NATO alliance getting new supreme commander Updated: May-03-16 9:40 am
BRUSSELS - The NATO alliance this week is getting a new supreme commander, a former top-ranking U.S. military officer in Korea hailed Tuesday by Defense Secretary Ash Carter as a proven warrior-diplomat and "a soldiers' general."
- Move over drones, driverless cars - unmanned ship up next Updated: May-03-16 9:07 am
SAN DIEGO - It's not only drones and driverless cars that may become the norm someday - ocean-faring ships might also run without captains or crews.
- Q&A: When is a Boot on the Ground not a Boot on the Ground? Updated: May-03-16 6:45 am
WASHINGTON - No one disputes that U.S. military forces are fighting in combat in Iraq and Syria -- except maybe President Barack Obama and some members of his administration.
- Philippines to discuss lease of Japan surveillance planes Updated: May-03-16 5:44 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine defense chief said Tuesday his government has agreed in principle to lease five Japanese surveillance planes to be used in patrolling disputed areas of the South China Sea and in search-and-rescue missions during disasters.
- Bond funds approved for new Springfield police annex Updated: May-03-16 3:56 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Springfield City Council has unanimously voted to approve bond funds that will help pay for an $11.3 million renovation project to convert an Army reserve center into a new police annex.
- Detention powers stir concern over Indonesia terror law Updated: May-03-16 3:25 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A lawmaker involved in vetting Indonesia's proposed counter-terrorism law says a contentious provision allowing detention without trial for six months could undermine the fight against Islamic extremism.
- US defense chief: NATO ponders ground force in Baltics Updated: May-02-16 4:43 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - The NATO alliance is considering establishing a rotational ground force in the Baltic states and possibly Poland, reflecting deepening worry about Russian military assertiveness, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Monday.
- Tiny houses in Kansas City to serve homeless veterans Updated: May-02-16 2:11 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A group of military veterans hopes to build small homes for struggling and homeless veterans on a vacant piece of land in Kansas City.
- Navy boss: Russian jets should stop buzzing US planes, ship Updated: May-02-16 2:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Russian jets buzzing a U.S. military ship and planes in the Baltics are escalating tension between the two nations, the chief of naval operations said Monday.
- Turkey and US-led coalition pound IS group in Syria Updated: May-02-16 2:05 pm
ISTANBUL - The Turkish military said Monday that artillery shelling and drone attacks by the U.S.-led coalition have struck Islamic State positions in Syria and killed a total of 63 militants.
- US senator visits Cincinnati VA after leadership shakeup Updated: May-02-16 8:45 am
CINCINNATI - Ohio's Democratic U.S. senator is visiting the Cincinnati VA Medical Center in the aftermath of a leadership shake-up there.
- Syrian-Australian suspect arrested in north Lebanon Updated: May-02-16 6:37 am
BEIRUT - Lebanese authorities have arrested a dual Syrian-Australian national in northern Lebanon on suspicion of terrorism, Lebanese security officials said Monday.
- Sons of Union Vets working to restore Civil War gravesites Updated: May-02-16 5:05 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - There are some 500 Civil War veterans buried in Porter County.
- Ohio offers specialty license plates to female veterans Updated: May-02-16 12:36 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Women who are military veterans in Ohio can now get a specialty license plate that highlights their service.
- 71 Army reservists depart Starkville for Middle East service Updated: May-01-16 4:31 pm
- Mexican tall ship to visit New London Updated: May-01-16 3:16 pm
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - A tall ship that belongs to the Mexican Navy is visiting New London this week as part of a goodwill mission.