- Earthquake country laid bare Updated: Apr-29-16 12:06 pm
ST. GEORGE, Utah - Signs of earthquakes are everywhere in the chaotically beautiful geology of southwest Utah and the region where the mile-high Colorado Plateau falls off into the corrugated Basin-and-Range landscape that dominates neighboring Nevada.
- Omaha Public Schools to review severe weather guidelines Updated: Apr-29-16 11:00 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Omaha Public Schools says it's reviewing its severe weather procedures after parents were told they couldn't take shelter inside an elementary school during a tornado warning.
- Graduating nursing students to take part in disaster drill Updated: Apr-29-16 12:22 am
NASHUA, New Hampshire - Graduating nursing students and faculty are going to be taking part in a mock disaster event at Rivier University in Nashua.
- Heavy rain floods some homes on Mississippi Gulf Coast Updated: Apr-28-16 3:18 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The mayor of Gulfport, Mississippi, has declared a state of emergency because of heavy rain and widespread flooding in the largest city on the state's Gulf Coast.
- Reagan National Airport to hold emergency drill Updated: Apr-28-16 4:31 am
WASHINGTON - A simulated aircraft accident at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport will test first responders over the weekend.
- Japan central bank holds fire on fresh monetary stimulus Updated: Apr-28-16 3:59 am
TOKYO - Japan's central bank stunned financial markets Thursday with a decision not to splash out still more monetary stimulus for the ailing economy - apart from zero-interest loans for an earthquake zone.
- Latest on storms: 3 tornados in Illinois; no major damage Updated: Apr-27-16 10:34 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Latest on severe weather in the central and eastern U.S. (all times local):
- China sends 4 planeloads of aid to quake-ravaged Ecuador Updated: Apr-27-16 4:00 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - China's government has sent four plane loads of aid worth over $9 million to tens of thousands left homeless by this month's powerful earthquake in Ecuador
- City Park's lagoons to act as storage areas for rainwaters Updated: Apr-26-16 4:08 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A weir is being built in City Park to make the park's lagoons storage areas for floodwaters and to protect a championship-level golf course under construction there.
- Colorado expecting average to below-average wildfire season Updated: Apr-26-16 3:01 pm
DENVER - Firefighters said Tuesday they expect another average or below-average wildfire season in Colorado in 2016, the third mild year in a row.
- PM Hun Sen says all Cambodians must help deal with drought Updated: Apr-26-16 9:31 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - The prime minister Tuesday called upon all elements in Cambodian society to mobilize to help deal with the worst drought in at least four decades, which has left about two-thirds of the country's 25 provinces short of water for drinking and other necessities.
- UVM lab hosts volunteers assisting in Ecuador relief effort Updated: Apr-26-16 4:44 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - While humanitarian workers descended upon Ecuador after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake rocked the country, volunteers were busy helping relief efforts at a University of Vermont computer lab.
- F-5 tornado struck the Wichita metro area 25 years ago Updated: Apr-25-16 10:38 am
ANDOVER, Kansas - The air was so muggy that day. April 26, 1991.
- Nepal has done little to protect itself from next 'big one' Updated: Apr-25-16 2:00 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Last year's massive earthquake in Nepal killed nearly 9,000 people, yet could have been much deadlier. It was spared not by disaster preparedness, but by the calendar.
- Flood mapping tools to help Big Sioux River Basin residents Updated: Apr-23-16 12:00 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The state of South Dakota is working on new online flood mapping tools for the Big Sioux River Basin.
- How early is too early for word that tornadoes may come? Updated: Apr-23-16 11:02 am
NORMAN, Oklahoma - Meteorologists are finding something much tougher to forecast than a stormy atmosphere: the human mind.
- Civil Air Patrol holding training exercises in Sioux Falls Updated: Apr-22-16 7:11 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - More than 70 South Dakota members of the Civil Air Patrol are gathering in Sioux Falls Saturday to conduct a search-and-rescue and disaster-relief training exercise.
- South Dakotans encouraged to prepare for severe weather Updated: Apr-22-16 7:07 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - State public safety officials are encouraging South Dakota residents to prepare for severe weather that may occur during the spring and summer.
- Damage estimates for Houston-area flooding on the rise Updated: Apr-22-16 4:49 pm
HOUSTON - Widespread flooding that's claimed eight lives and displaced thousands of people in the Houston area has caused more than $14 million in damage and inundated more than 1,700 homes - figures that authorities said Friday will increase significantly as floodwaters recede and inspectors get a closer look at ravaged neighborhoods.
- Federal officials deny Illinois appeal for disaster funds Updated: Apr-22-16 2:24 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has denied the state's appeal for federal assistance to help local governments recover from flooding and storms in December and January.
- Latest: Corps of Engineers releases water from control dams Updated: Apr-21-16 11:06 pm
HOUSTON - The Latest on Houston-area flooding (all times local):
- Pinal County to stop issuing burn permits at end of month Updated: Apr-21-16 7:08 pm
FLORENCE, Arizona - Authorities in Pinal County say are going to stop issuing burn permits later this month in response to a growing wildfire risk.
- Walker declares state of emergency going into fire season Updated: Apr-21-16 3:47 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has declared a state of emergency due to elevated wildfire conditions across the state.
- Virtually no gov't rebuilding 1 year after Nepal quake Updated: Apr-21-16 9:47 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - The violence of the 7.8-magnitude earthquake left countless towns and villages across central Nepal in shambles. Almost one year later, in shambles they remain.
- The Latest: Ecuador to raise taxes to fund quake recovery Updated: Apr-20-16 9:19 pm
MONTECRISTI, Ecuador - The latest on the impact of the Ecuadorean earthquake (all times local):