- CDC urges speed on Zika as House moves to negotiate funding Updated: May-26-16 4:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. must act more quickly to protect pregnant women from birth defect-causing Zika, a top health official said Thursday even as the House left town for its Memorial Day recess with no visible progress toward a congressional compromise on emergency funding to battle the virus.
- Researchers slowly homing in on risk of Zika birth defect Updated: May-25-16 5:15 pm
NEW YORK - As the international epidemic of Zika virus disease has unfolded and led to devastating birth defects for at least 1,300 children in eight countries, an agonizing question has persisted: What is the chance that an infected pregnant woman will have a baby with these defects?
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:55 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Philippine population growth slows as contraceptives spread Updated: May-25-16 4:43 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' annual population growth rate has slowed as more people in the predominantly Roman Catholic country use contraception.
- NY bill would broaden contraception insurance coverage Updated: May-24-16 4:53 pm
ALBANY, New York - Advocates, lawmakers, and physicians are calling for the passage of a bill that would provide insurance coverage for all FDA approved contraceptive drugs and products in New York.
- State officials to distribute Zika prevention kits Updated: May-24-16 10:20 am
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware state officials will begin distributing Zika prevention kits to pregnant women.
- Victims in Planned Parenthood attack say it was preventable Updated: May-23-16 9:13 pm
DENVER - Victims of a mass shooting at a Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic say more should have been done to prevent the attack, given the long history of violence against the reproductive health organization.
- The Latest: Court questions attorney in feticide case appeal Updated: May-23-16 6:58 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on an Indiana woman's appeal of a feticide conviction in the death of her premature infant (all times local):
- Law mandates coverage for vasectomies, other birth control Updated: May-23-16 5:47 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont is poised to become the first state to require public and private health insurance to cover vasectomies without copays and deductibles under a bill Democratic Gov. Peter Shumlin signed into law Monday.
- Virginia ramping up efforts to prevent spread of Zika virus Updated: May-23-16 12:03 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - With the summer mosquito season fast approaching and anxiety about the Zika virus growing, Virginia officials are racing to educate the public and distribute 10,000 Zika prevention kits to pregnant women.
- Indiana court to hear woman's appeal of feticide conviction Updated: May-21-16 10:33 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Attorneys for an Indiana woman found guilty of killing the premature infant she delivered after ingesting abortion-inducing drugs will soon ask an appeals court to throw out the convictions that led to her 20-year prison sentence.
- Pregnant mom with rare, aggressive cancer: 'I don't give up' Updated: May-21-16 3:02 am
LYNNWOOD, Washington - Apryl and Peter Roberts' second daughter is sure to be a spirited little fighter. By the time she is born near the end of May, her mother will have climbed Seattle's Columbia Center, weathered life-shattering news, and endured several rounds of chemotherapy - all while pregnant.
- Pregnant women in US with Zika spikes on new counting method Updated: May-20-16 1:15 pm
NEW YORK - The number of pregnant women in the United States infected with Zika virus is suddenly tripling, due to a change in how the government is reporting cases.
- La Crosse puts pigeons on the pill Updated: May-20-16 7:29 am
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - Business owners in La Crosse are putting pigeons on the pill - sort of.
- Plan calls for improving oral health in Michigan by 2020 Updated: May-18-16 11:15 pm
LANSING, Michigan - State officials and others are backing a plan to boost the number of dentists in Michigan and encourage their collaboration with other health care providers to give residents better access to dental care.
- Religion news in brief Updated: May-18-16 12:46 pm
Speaker defends nuns over birth control mandate
- Minnesota man charged with murder in death of pregnant wife Updated: May-17-16 5:30 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - An Eden Prairie man is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the stabbing death of his pregnant wife and their prematurely born child.
- Mom who poisoned, then drowned 2 kids gets 8 years in prison Updated: May-17-16 4:48 pm
NEW YORK - A former teacher who laced her two young children's grape juice with windshield wiper fluid, then drowned them in a bathtub promised on Tuesday to raise awareness of postpartum depression before a judge sentenced her to eight years in prison.
- Supreme Court, down by one, finds it can be hard to decide Updated: May-17-16 7:05 am
WASHINGTON - The eight Supreme Court justices say they'll take care of business until a new ninth justice joins them. Their actions say otherwise.
- 1st US penis transplant could bring hope to maimed soldiers Updated: May-16-16 8:04 pm
BOSTON - A 64-year-old cancer patient has received the nation's first penis transplant, a groundbreaking operation that may also help accident victims and some of the many U.S. veterans maimed by roadside bombs.
- In utero keepsakes record heartbeats, flood baby market Updated: May-15-16 9:01 am
BEAR, Delaware - At bedtime, Julian Buller bids goodnight to the furry friends sharing his bed: Mickey Mouse and the bowtie-clad puppy stuffed with his little brother's heartbeat.
- Fertility doc arrested in Italy after woman says eggs stolen Updated: May-14-16 1:58 pm
ROME - A fertility doctor has been put under house arrest in Italy after a Spanish nurse alleged that some of her eggs were surgically removed without her consent at his clinic.
- Arkansas appealing order blocking abortion pill restrictions Updated: May-13-16 7:14 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas is appealing a federal judge's order blocking the state from enforcing its limits on how the abortion pill is administered.
- Germany reports 1st sexual transmission of Zika virus Updated: May-13-16 10:35 am
BERLIN - German authorities say the country has recorded its first case of sexual transmission of the Zika virus.
- Portuguese lawmakers extend pregnancy rights to gay women Updated: May-13-16 10:07 am
LISBON, Portugal - Gay women will soon have access to artificial insemination in Portugal after the country's Parliament approved legal changes widening access to the procedure.