- Obama calls on Sen. Paul to drop objections to tax treaties Updated: May-06-16 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday called on Sen. Rand Paul to drop his "quirky" objections to pending international tax treaties so they can move forward in Congress.
- Ex-NY congressman Michael Grimm released from federal prison Updated: May-06-16 4:25 pm
NEW YORK - Former New York congressman Michael Grimm says he hasn't ruled out a return to politics after being released from federal prison following his conviction for tax evasion.
- Obama administration proposed rules aimed at tax evasion Updated: May-05-16 9:03 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration on Thursday announced a set of financial regulations that would force companies to disclosure more information about their owners, part of an effort billed as a crackdown on tax evaders and money launderers.
- Defender Adriano joins list of Barca players probed for tax Updated: May-04-16 1:37 pm
MADRID - Defender Adriano has joined the list of Barcelona players to be probed by Spain's prosecutors for alleged tax fraud.
- New York art collector to pay $7M to settle tax evasion case Updated: May-03-16 4:45 pm
NEW YORK - A prominent art collector and real estate developer has agreed to pay $7 million to settle allegations he failed to pay taxes on about $80 million worth of art, the state attorney general said Tuesday.
- Former St. Tammany DA convicted in conspiracy case Updated: May-03-16 9:48 am
NEW ORLEANS - Former St. Tammany Parish District Attorney Walter Reed has been convicted of conspiracy, wire fraud, mail fraud, money laundering and making false statements on his tax returns.
- Ohio businessman admits he didn't pay $600k in federal taxes Updated: May-03-16 3:37 am
CLEVELAND - An Ohio businessman accused in federal court of bankrolling a luxurious lifestyle by not paying more than $600,000 in federal income taxes has pleaded guilty.
- Argentina prosecutor asks probe of ex-president and son Updated: May-03-16 12:33 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A federal prosecutor asked on Monday that former President Cristina Fernandez and her son be investigated for possible illegal enrichment in connection to two businessmen accused of money laundering and tax evasion.
- Video game developer appeals wage case to Utah Supreme Court Updated: May-02-16 4:32 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah developer of video games like "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005" asked the Utah Supreme Court on Monday to toss out his criminal convictions for not paying more than 100 employees.
- Romania: media owner questioned over massive tax evasion Updated: Apr-27-16 8:33 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Prosecutors in Romania say they have questioned a media owner on suspicion of tax evasion worth 8 million ($9 million).
- Corruption charges filed against former Dinamo Zagreb head Updated: Apr-26-16 7:18 am
ZAGREB, Croatia - Croatia's anti-graft authorities have filed charges against former Dinamo Zagreb president Zdravko Mamic for tax evasion, corruption and bribery.
- New York state blocks $400M in false tax refunds Updated: Apr-21-16 3:46 pm
ALBANY, New York - Tax officials in New York state say they have stopped nearly 240,000 false tax refunds worth $400 million this tax season.
- Nigeria native sentenced in tax fraud case Updated: Apr-21-16 3:20 pm
ST. LOUIS - A Nigeria native living in St. Louis has been sentenced to more than three years in prison and ordered to repay $753,063 to the IRS for his role in a stolen identity tax fraud scheme.
- Ex-consultant to Allentown mayor pleads in corruption probe Updated: Apr-21-16 12:22 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A former northeast Pennsylvania campaign manager surfaced in federal court Thursday, a year after he abruptly shuttered his firm and left home, to plead guilty in an ongoing FBI corruption probe of Reading and Allentown.
- Woman gets 4 years in prison for defrauding disabled man Updated: Apr-20-16 2:48 pm
ST. LOUIS - A suburban St. Louis woman has been sentenced to more than four years in prison and ordered to pay $3.5 million in restitution for defrauding a disabled man, and lying on tax returns.
- Former US Rep. Mel Reynolds taken into custody in Chicago Updated: Apr-20-16 1:30 pm
CHICAGO - A federal judge in Chicago ordered former U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds taken into custody at a hearing on Wednesday after finding Reynolds' proposed place of residence while on bail in a tax case to be unacceptable.
- China extending anti-graft measures to officials' families Updated: Apr-18-16 11:56 pm
BEIJING - Seeking to further reduce opportunities for corruption, China will include additional cities and regions in a pilot program begun in the financial hub of Shanghai that restricts the business dealings of officials' spouses and children, the government said Tuesday.
- Woman accused of filing fraudulent returns to steal refunds Updated: Apr-18-16 2:08 pm
ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico - An Alamogordo woman is accused of fraudulently filing income tax returns for other people to steal their refunds.
- Business owners sentenced for filing fraudulent tax returns Updated: Apr-16-16 12:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The owners of a tax preparation business that filed fraudulent returns on behalf of inmates at various New Jersey prisons have received jail terms.
- Massachusetts man pleads guilty in tax refund fraud scheme Updated: Apr-15-16 4:34 pm
BOSTON - A Massachusetts man has pleaded guilty to conspiracy and fraud charges in a tax refund fraud scheme.
- Denver area pot raid suspects face tax, drug charges Updated: Apr-15-16 2:47 pm
DENVER - Some of the more than 40 people arrested during raids on suspected illegal marijuana grows in the Denver area face charges including racketeering, money laundering and tax evasion as well as drug counts.
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Updated: Apr-15-16 2:42 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's main domestic security agency has searched the offices of a company controlled by the billionaire owner of U.S. basketball team Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov.
- Spain: Princess Cristina's tax fraud accuser is arrested Updated: Apr-15-16 11:54 am
MADRID - Spanish police on Friday arrested the leader of an anti-corruption group that brought criminal tax fraud charges against Princess Cristina amid allegations the group had asked for a big payoff to drop the case.
- European states urge G-20 to share data on offshore accounts Updated: Apr-15-16 5:43 am
MADRID - The European Union's five biggest economies, including Germany and Britain, have agreed to share information on company ownership and are urging other nations to do the same to make it harder for criminals and tax cheats to avoid the law.
- Espanola tax preparer accused of tax evasion and fraud Updated: Apr-14-16 1:50 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - An Espanola tax preparer faces felony charges accusing her of filing false tax returns and failing to pay taxes.