- Former Chicago Transit workers sentenced in fraud scheme Updated: Nov-26-15 4:10 am
CHICAGO - Two former Chicago Transit Authority workers have been sentenced in a fraud scheme.
- Ex-bookkeeper for Mesa company gets prison for tax evasion Updated: Nov-25-15 6:18 pm
PHOENIX - A former bookkeeper for a Mesa company has been sentenced to 30 months in federal prison for income tax evasion.
- Germany gives Greece 10,000 records on possible tax cheats Updated: Nov-25-15 1:12 pm
BERLIN - Germany has shared some 10,000 records on possible Greek tax cheats with Athens.
- Head of North Carolina Funeral Board pleads to tax fraud Updated: Nov-25-15 9:47 am
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - The president of the North Carolina Board of Funeral Services is one of two men who have pleaded guilty to federal tax fraud.
- North Texas tax preparer gets 11 years for fraud, ID theft Updated: Nov-24-15 3:24 pm
DALLAS - A North Texas tax preparer with a history of submitting bogus returns must serve 11 years in prison and repay nearly $2.3 million in an identity theft scam.
- Pastor, wife charged with filing false liens against judges Updated: Nov-24-15 10:26 am
EUGENE, Oregon - A Coquille preacher and his wife were arraigned on newly filed, expanded charges that accuse them of filing bogus and vindictive liens against several federal officials who handled aspects of a separate criminal tax case involving the couple.
- Alabama woman sentenced to over 7 years in tax fraud scheme Updated: Nov-23-15 4:06 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Federal prosecutors say a woman who helped file for more than $20 million in fraudulent tax returns has been sentenced to prison.
- Former Tampa police informant gets 12 years for fraud Updated: Nov-21-15 3:01 am
TAMPA, Florida - A Tampa woman has been sentenced to 12 years in federal prison for conspiring to commit stolen identity tax refund fraud, partially through access given by her friends to police databases.
- Oklahoma judge gives woman more than 10 years for fraud Updated: Nov-20-15 4:37 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal judge has sentenced a Texas woman to more than 10 years in prison on payroll and tax fraud charges.
- Former Tucson resident sentenced for false tax returns Updated: Nov-20-15 4:00 am
TUCSON, Arizona - A woman has been sentenced for falsely claiming more than $400,000 in federal tax refunds while she lived in Tucson.
- Southern New Mexico tax preparer faces numerous charges Updated: Nov-19-15 11:56 am
ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico - A southern New Mexico tax preparer faces numerous charges accusing her of preparing 29 false tax returns for clients and of failing to report or pay over $7,000 of gross-receipts tax on her own business.
- Ex-politician admits to falsifying tax client's returns Updated: Nov-09-15 3:25 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A former Providence state representative and city councilman has agreed to plead guilty to federal tax and wire fraud charges.
- Norfolk man sentenced for role in tax refund scheme Updated: Nov-09-15 1:05 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A Norfolk man has been sentenced for his role in an income tax refund scheme that netted more than $2 million.
- Protesters clash with police in Bologna Updated: Nov-08-15 9:58 am
MILAN - Hundreds of demonstrators clashed briefly Sunday with riot police ahead of a meeting between Silvio Berlusconi and a hotly contested right-wing political leader in the northern city of Bologna.
- Bedford couple convicted of stealing government funds Updated: Nov-07-15 10:02 am
LYNCHBURG, Virginia - A jury has convicted a Bedford couple of theft of government funds and other federal crimes.
- 6 indicted in Las Vegas in dead people tax refund case Updated: Nov-06-15 5:20 pm
LAS VEGAS - Federal prosecutors in Nevada say five Las Vegas-area residents and one from Kansas are accused of using identities of dead people to obtain some $2.7 million in fraudulent tax refunds.
- Owners of Albuquerque pool hall get probation in tax case Updated: Nov-06-15 3:06 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Three brothers who own a billiards hall in New Mexico have each been sentenced to five years' probation after pleading guilty in a federal tax evasion case.
- Tax department spends thousands on unused weapons for raids Updated: Nov-06-15 10:17 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Taxation and Revenue Department has spent thousands of dollars on weapons and ammunition that it is not legally allowed to use.
- Romania's outgoing PM appears at court for corruption trial Updated: Nov-06-15 2:34 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's outgoing prime minister has appeared at the high court where he's on trial for tax evasion, money-laundering, conflict of interest and making false statements.
- Philadelphia congressman's son convicted of fraud charges Updated: Nov-05-15 2:44 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A veteran Philadelphia congressman's son was found guilty Thursday of federal bank and tax fraud charges.
- Prosecutors confirm Beckenbauer not target of tax probe Updated: Nov-04-15 8:51 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The Frankfurt prosecutors' office says Franz Beckenbauer is not a target of a tax evasion probe in connection with the 2006 World Cup.
- German authorities raid soccer federation over FIFA payment Updated: Nov-03-15 9:06 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The president of the German soccer federation and two former high-ranking officials are the targets of a tax evasion probe over a payment to FIFA in connection with the 2006 World Cup, authorities said Tuesday.
- Man gets 7 years for filing fake tax returns for dead people Updated: Nov-02-15 7:33 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A man who used personal information of dead people to file bogus tax returns has been sentenced to seven years in federal prison.