- Uber to pay $28.5M to settle safety ad lawsuits Updated: Feb-11-16 10:47 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Uber says it will pay $28.5 million to settle two lawsuits that said the ride-hailing firm misled customers about its safety procedures and fees.
- Ex-exec sentenced to 1 month in West Virginia chemical spill Updated: Feb-11-16 6:16 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A former Freedom Industries executive was sentenced Thursday to one month in federal prison for a chemical spill that fouled the drinking water supply of 300,000 West Virginians.
- Trump settles lawsuit against Univision Updated: Feb-11-16 1:32 pm
NEW YORK - Donald Trump and Univision say they have resolved the lawsuit that the Republican presidential contender filed after the company decided last summer not to broadcast the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants.
- Brazil police arrest ex-president of construction company Updated: Feb-11-16 12:57 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian police have arrested the former president of construction giant Andrade Gutierrez for his suspected role in a bribery scandal involving the state-owned company that operates Brazil's two nuclear power plants.
- Jury: Smokers didn't prove Marlboros have defective design Updated: Feb-11-16 12:13 pm
BOSTON - A federal jury has rejected claims by a group of Massachusetts smokers who sued Philip Morris USA to try to force the cigarette maker to pay for lung cancer screenings.
- Man pleads guilty to defrauding tribe through insurance scam Updated: Feb-11-16 9:18 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A Northern California man has pleaded guilty to defrauding an Indian tribe for millions of dollars as part of a workers' compensation scam.
- Ex-Kroger call center workers: Longer hours but no overtime Updated: Feb-11-16 4:36 am
CINCINNATI - Three former call center workers are suing Kroger Co., accusing the Cincinnati-based grocery chain of not paying them for overtime.
- Senate panel votes to hold website in contempt over sex ads Updated: Feb-10-16 4:38 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate panel voted on Wednesday to hold the classified advertising website Backpage.com in civil contempt for failing to comply with a congressional subpoena into how it screens ads for possible sex trafficking.
- California court throws out caddie lawsuit against PGA Tour Updated: Feb-10-16 1:50 pm
PEBBLE BEACH, California - Caddies lost their class-action lawsuit against the PGA Tour when a federal judge in California ruled they signed a contract with the tour that requires them to wear bibs as part of their uniform and cannot claim that corporate sponsorship on the bibs makes them human billboards.
- Pet-leasing company under investigation for euthanizing dogs Updated: Feb-10-16 1:38 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon company that leases pets to people is under investigation by the state Department of Justice after complaints that the company unnecessarily euthanized dogs.
- Wisconsin landowners sue Enbridge over spill insurance Updated: Feb-09-16 8:43 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A group of Wisconsin landowners is suing Enbridge to force the company to carry spill insurance on a pipeline that will carry Canadian tar sands oil across the state.
- The Latest: Ex-execs of Haslam-owned chain charged Updated: Feb-09-16 7:54 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Latest on the case against the former president of the truck stop chain Flying J (all times local):
- Haslam-owned chain exec advised 'say one thing, do another' Updated: Feb-09-16 7:51 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A former top executive of the truck stop chain owned by Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam advised sales staff to "Say one thing, do another," when it came to dealing with customers, according to an indictment.
- Martin Shkreli sued by artist over Wu-Tang Clan album Updated: Feb-09-16 6:27 pm
NEW YORK - A Long Island artist sued ex-pharmaceutical CEO Martin Shkreli and others Tuesday over the use of his art in a Wu-Tang Clan album, saying he never expected portraits he posted on a fan blog two years ago to be used without his permission.
- Former Tyco CEO named board chairman of ex-prisoners group Updated: Feb-09-16 6:22 pm
NEW YORK - A former business titan convicted more than a decade ago in a notorious corporate fraud case that featured headline-grabbing tales of excessive spending is now board chairman of a New York City nonprofit that helps ex-prisoners re-enter society, the group announced Tuesday.
- Former Adelson casino exec takes dismissal case to US court Updated: Feb-09-16 3:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - A former executive in billionaire casino magnate Sheldon Adelson's empire is asking a federal court in Nevada to rule on a continuing legal fight over his 2010 dismissal as head of operations in the Chinese gambling enclave of Macau.
- Ohio firm accused of misspending funds on cars, tattoos Updated: Feb-07-16 8:16 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Federal investigators say government money given to a northern Ohio company for work placement and parenting programs instead went to buy vehicles and cosmetic surgery.
- New Jersey sues Volkswagen, claiming emissions fraud Updated: Feb-05-16 6:25 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The state of New Jersey sued Volkswagen Friday, claiming the auto maker sold diesel vehicles equipped with software that deactivated on-board emission controls except during emissions testing.
- Businessman seeks leniency in halal beef export fraud case Updated: Feb-05-16 5:36 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Supporters of a prominent businessman and Muslim community leader packed a federal courtroom Friday to ask a judge to spare him prison time for committing fraud in exporting halal beef products to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Woman claims discrimination for not being American Indian Updated: Feb-05-16 3:17 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A woman is suing the parent company of a Rapid City halfway house, alleging she was discriminated and retaliated against while she was employed by the facility because she is not American Indian.
- Judge rules against opponents of Confederate statue removal Updated: Feb-05-16 2:39 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A state judge ruled Friday against an effort by preservationists to stop the removal of prominent Confederate monuments in New Orleans.
- New trial date for ex-Boal Mansion CEO on child-sex charges Updated: Feb-05-16 9:25 am
WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - A federal judge has set a new trial day for the former CEO of a Centre County museum awaiting trial on child-sex charges.
- Hospital CEO, 5 others arrested in prescription drug sting Updated: Feb-05-16 4:17 am
BLAIRSVILLE, Georgia - The CEO of a north Georgia hospital is one of six suspects accused of being involved with fraudulent prescription painkillers.
- Uber, Lyft bill fixing New Mexico impasse OK'd in committee Updated: Feb-04-16 9:17 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A key House panel has approved a bill aimed at welcoming and regulating ride-booking companies like Uber and Lyft.
- Utah sues federal government over sage grouse plan Updated: Feb-04-16 6:59 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah has decided to sue the federal government over its new set of rules intended to protect the greater sage grouse - following similar lawsuits lodged by Idaho and nine Nevada counties, ranchers and two mining companies.