- School funding creates divide in attorney general's race Updated: May-28-16 12:27 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The battle in Pennsylvania over school funding could take on a new dimension.
- Towns in Texas, Arizona are battlegrounds in bathroom debate Updated: May-26-16 8:34 pm
HARROLD, Texas - An unlikely battleground over whether public schools must allow transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice is taking shape in two tiny towns in Texas and Arizona, neither of which currently enrolls anyone who is transgender.
- Ohio attorney general inadvertently reveals run for governor Updated: May-26-16 12:56 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Mike DeWine, the state attorney general and a former U.S. senator, confirmed Thursday what political prognosticators have reported for months: He's running for governor.
- 11 states sue over Obama's school transgender directive Updated: May-25-16 5:47 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas and 10 other states are suing the Obama administration over its directive to U.S. public schools to let transgender students use the bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- The Latest: Clinton wins Washington's Democratic primary Updated: May-24-16 11:29 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Latest on Washington state's presidential primaries (all times local):
- Belt-tightening in Brazil aimed at fighting economic crisis Updated: May-24-16 7:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's acting president announced austerity measures Tuesday aimed at pulling Latin America's largest economy from its worst crisis in decades, warning that a failure to act will mean "extraordinary hardship" for future generations.
- Trump takes 8 of 13 delegates at GOP Vermont convention Updated: May-22-16 12:35 pm
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vermont - Eight of 13 Vermont delegates elected during the Vermont Republican Convention to go to the national convention this summer are supporters of presumptive presidential GOP nominee Donald Trump.
- Civil rights activist, Carter official Patricia Derian dies Updated: May-20-16 10:04 pm
Patricia M. Derian, who actively supported Mississippi public school desegregation and served as assistant secretary of state for human rights during the Carter administration, has died.
- Brazil's Temer promises to bring women to his cabinet Updated: May-19-16 7:04 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Acting President Michel Temer promised on Thursday that he will at some point have women in his currently all white-male Cabinet.
- Brazil president vows to fight ouster, but options limited Updated: May-19-16 2:02 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Hours after lawmakers voted to impeach Dilma Rousseff last week, Brazil's first female president blasted her enemies for making her "the victim of a great injustice" and promised a bruising fight to hold onto her mandate.
- Bevin's choice for pension board declines appointment Updated: May-18-16 1:25 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A western Kentucky dermatologist who was selected to replace a state pension board's chairman has declined Gov. Matt Bevin's appointment.
- Election guide: Candidates and issues in Oregon's primary Updated: May-17-16 3:41 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - The presidential race generated a lot of enthusiasm among Oregonians, with about 160,000 adding their names to the rolls of the two major parties this year - but mostly Democrats.
- AG: Obama lacks authority over transgender bathroom policy Updated: May-13-16 3:27 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota Attorney General Marty Jackley says President Obama doesn't have the authority to require schools to allow transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity.
- Burr, Tillis urge unity within fractured North Carolina GOP Updated: May-07-16 8:51 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Top North Carolina elected leaders urged fellow Republicans gathering Saturday at their state convention to unify following a contentious presidential primary and the recent removal of the state party's chairman.
- Governor releases private emails dealing with state business Updated: May-06-16 3:14 pm
HELENA, Montana - Gov. Steve Bullock has used his private email account to communicate about a wide variety of official business, from proposed legislation to his increasingly strained relationship with the former lieutenant governor, according to hundreds of pages of emails released Friday.
- Irish Prime Minister Kenny re-elected after 70-day deadlock Updated: May-06-16 3:03 pm
DUBLIN - Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny won narrow re-election Friday on his fourth try, ending 70 days of deadlock and forging a novel but fragile minority government containing independent voices.
- Republican Senate candidate says he won't vote for Trump Updated: May-05-16 7:30 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Washington state said Thursday that he does not support Donald Trump as his party's presumed presidential nominee, and won't vote for president in November unless a conservative third-party alternative comes forward.