- Poll: Guinta's support eroding amid financing scandal Updated: Oct-09-15 12:53 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A new poll shows that 50 percent of New Hampshire residents surveyed think U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta should resign amid his campaign finance troubles and 4 percent said they would back his re-election bid next year.
- Analysts: Court ruling fuels bid to impeach Brazil president Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
SAO PAULO - President Dilma Rousseff's ability to govern Brazil has been dealt a serious blow by a federal audit court ruling that her government violated accounting practices and financial laws last year, a decision that could fuel efforts to impeach her, analysts said Thursday.
- Rome mayor resigns over expense scandal Updated: Oct-08-15 3:24 pm
ROME - Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino resigned Thursday following a scandal over his expense accounts that became the convenient final straw in a months-long campaign by opponents inside and out of his Democratic Party to force him from office.
- The Latest: Lawmakers press EPA on its response to VW case Updated: Oct-08-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the congressional hearing on Volkswagen's emissions-rigging (all times local):
- VW, with limited DC lobbying footprint, braces for Congress Updated: Oct-06-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - When Volkswagen's top American executive heads to Capitol Hill this week, he probably won't be able to count on longtime allies among the lawmakers investigating the company's emissions cheating scandal.
- Vote on loosening emissions testing awaits Tenn. lawmakers Updated: Oct-06-15 3:33 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee lawmakers are set to vote on loosening vehicle emissions testing requirements as soon as they return in January, undeterred by Volkswagen's recent admission that it had been gaming the tests already in place.
- Ex-president to be questioned in Brazil corruption probe Updated: Oct-02-15 7:41 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Supreme Court judge ruled Friday that Brazil's federal police may question former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as a witness in their investigation of a kickback scandal that has engulfed the state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Gov. Kasich denies clemency for jailed Ohio coin dealer Updated: Oct-02-15 6:30 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Gov. John Kasich denied a clemency request Friday from a former Toledo-area coin dealer who raised money for Ohio Republicans before being convicted in a state investment scandal that also ensnared a former governor.
- Clarification: Volkswagen-Chattanooga story Updated: Oct-01-15 2:09 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - In a story Sept. 30, The Associated Press reported that production of diesel-engine Passat sedans had been halted at Volkswagen's lone U.S. plant in light of the emissions scandal facing the world's largest automaker. The company said later that production of 2016 model diesel Passats will continue, but that the vehicles will be held at the plant until a remedy for emissions is released through Volkswagen's headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany.
- Honduran judge begins formal trial for congress VP Updated: Sep-30-15 11:01 pm
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras - The formal trial against the congressional vice president opened Wednesday in a medical sales scandal that has rocked Honduras and led to mass protests against corruption and impunity.
- Trial delayed for 3 Ron Paul aides charged in caucus scandal Updated: Sep-30-15 3:14 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A judge has delayed trial for three former Ron Paul campaign aides charged with secretly paying off a former Iowa lawmaker in exchange for an endorsement before the 2012 presidential caucuses.
- Denmark gets new defense minister after political scandal Updated: Sep-30-15 6:31 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Denmark's prime minister has appointed veteran, center-right politician Peter Christensen as the Scandinavian country's new defense minister after his predecessor resigned amid a scandal.
- Obama thanks Secret Service for protecting world leaders Updated: Sep-29-15 3:39 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama praised the Secret Service for a whirlwind week that included protecting Pope Francis, Chinese President Xi Jinping and more than 100 world leaders at U.N. meetings in New York.
- Brazil's economy plunging; no relief in sight Updated: Sep-29-15 12:02 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - A currency hitting historic lows. Unemployment at a five-year peak. Consumer spending in the dumps, and a grinding political crisis that's frozen leaders' ability to push through Congress measures to jumpstart a moribund economy.
- Ethics panel continues review of Texas lawmaker Updated: Sep-28-15 4:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Ethics Committee said Monday it is continuing an investigation of Republican congressman Blake Farenthold of Texas, despite a recommendation by an investigative panel that the complaint be dismissed.
- Argentine voters focused on economy, not corruption Updated: Sep-28-15 10:29 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The corruption allegations against several top government officials are stunning: The convicted killer of three men alleges that the Cabinet chief ordered the hit, the vice president is being tried for bribery and authorities are investigating a possible money laundering scheme at a luxury hotel owned by President Cristina Fernandez.
- Leaders pledge money, clout to achieve women's equality Updated: Sep-27-15 10:09 pm
UNITED NATIONS - World leaders pledged money and political clout to achieve equality for women by 2030 at a U.N. meeting Sunday co-chaired by China's President Xi Jinping, who has faced strong criticism for cracking down on women's rights activists.
- Vitter sitting on $4M for final weeks of governor's race Updated: Sep-24-15 7:42 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The only major Democratic contender in the Louisiana governor's race, John Bel Edwards, had the largest haul in the latest fundraising period. But Republican David Vitter still has the heftiest campaign account.
- Court upholds election disqualification of former senator Updated: Sep-24-15 4:49 pm
GRETNA, Louisiana - An appellate court has upheld the disqualification of a former state senator from running for a House seat.
- Journalists subpoenaed in lawsuit over Petraeus scandal Updated: Sep-22-15 11:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Nine journalists were issued subpoenas Tuesday as part of a lawsuit over the Obama administration investigation that led to the resignation of CIA Director David Petraeus.
- Petraeus apologizes for giving classified info to mistress Updated: Sep-22-15 2:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Retired Army Gen. David Petraeus apologized to Congress on Tuesday for sharing classified information with his biographer-mistress, then pivoted from personal to battlefield policy and labeled the current U.S. strategy for fighting Islamic State in the Middle East "inadequate."
- Ex-auditor convicted of taking money from government, in-law Updated: Sep-18-15 4:41 am
LA PORTE, Indiana - A former auditor for a northwestern Indiana county has been convicted of embezzling more than $150,000 in government funds and defrauding her father-in-law of at least $400,000.
- Brazil's top court bans corporate political financing Updated: Sep-17-15 8:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's Supreme Court on Thursday banned corporate contributions to political campaigns and parties, a hot issue as investigators in the nation's biggest corruption scandal say such financing was used by businesses to win lucrative contracts with state-run oil company Petrobras.
- Guatemala names interim vice president amid political crisis Updated: Sep-16-15 9:44 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemala's congress has named Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria as vice president amid a political scandal that forced the president and vice president to resign and has both in jail facing corruption charges.
- Campaign finance reports to be reviewed in wake of scandal Updated: Sep-16-15 6:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The spending of political contributions by elected officials in New Mexico came under greater scrutiny Wednesday as more allegations of possible violations of the state's campaign finance reporting laws surfaced in the wake of a scandal that has cast a shadow over the secretary of state's office.