- Brazil's Rousseff faces growing impeachment threat Updated: Aug-28-15 8:19 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - If the worst economic crisis in a decade, a massive corruption scandal centered on her ruling party and approval ratings in the single digits weren't rough enough for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, she's now faced with growing calls for her impeachment.
- Malaysians gear up for street rallies urging Najib to quit Updated: Aug-28-15 6:07 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian activists are putting more pressure on embattled Prime Minister Najib Razak to resign with major street rallies this weekend following allegations of suspicious money transfers into his accounts.
- Guatemalan prosecutors urge president to resign amid scandal Updated: Aug-27-15 9:37 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Pressure grew Thursday on Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina to resign as business and government offices closed, protesters marched by the thousands and the attorney general's office urged him to step down "to prevent ungovernability that could destabilize the nation."
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- Staffer re-hired after senator accused of harassment resigns Updated: Aug-25-15 5:51 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri Senate staff member was back at work Tuesday, a month after being fired by a senator who was facing allegations of sexually harassing interns.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- Leader of Brazil's lower house denies corruption charges Updated: Aug-21-15 5:26 pm
SAO PAULO - The speaker of Brazil's lower house of congress on Friday strongly denied newly filed charges of corruption and said he won't resign from office.
- McAllister seeks political comeback after cheating scandal Updated: Aug-21-15 4:13 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister, who lost his re-election bid last year after a cheating scandal, is trying to return to Louisiana politics.
- 'Kissing congressman' seeks political comeback this fall Updated: Aug-21-15 3:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister, who lost his re-election bid after a cheating scandal, is trying to return to Louisiana politics.
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Aug-20-15 10:56 am
St. Cloud Times, Aug. 19
- Longtime Ohio Congressman Louis Stokes dies at 90 Updated: Aug-19-15 2:20 pm
CLEVELAND - Former U.S. Rep. Louis Stokes, a 15-term congressman from Ohio who took on tough assignments looking into assassinations and scandals, has died at the age of 90, his family said Wednesday.
- Anti-government protesters take to streets across Brazil Updated: Aug-16-15 6:47 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilians took to the streets of cities and towns across the country Sunday for anti-government protests being watched as a barometer of discontent with the increasingly unpopular President Dilma Rousseff.
- Malaysian leader silences critics, media to survive scandal Updated: Aug-16-15 1:20 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's prime minister has a problem: He can't explain away a $700 million bank account to a skeptical public.
- India's Modi touts government achievements in annual speech Updated: Aug-15-15 5:50 am
NEW DELHI - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touted his government's poverty alleviation schemes in his Independence Day speech on Saturday, but the address was thin on plans for the future and made no mention of the setbacks to his economic reform agenda.
- DNA proves President Harding fathered child out of wedlock Updated: Aug-13-15 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON - DNA testing all but confirmed Thomas Jefferson slept with his slave Sally Hemings. Now it's rewriting another lurid chapter in presidential history, this one from the Roaring '20s.
- Argentine president dominates campaign ahead of primaries Updated: Aug-08-15 8:34 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Cristina Fernandez isn't on Sunday's presidential primary ballot, yet the influence of Argentina's leader is all around it.
- McAuliffe pays for state plane to take him to NYC concert Updated: Aug-07-15 1:29 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe paid for a state-owned airplane to take him to New York last week to attend a U2 concert where Bill and Hillary Clinton were praised by the band's lead singer in front of thousands of fans at Madison Square Garden.
- Ohio parole board urges no clemency for jailed GOP donor Updated: Aug-06-15 5:17 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Ohio's parole board is urging Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) to turn down a clemency request from a former coin dealer who raised money for Ohio Republicans before being convicted in a state investment scandal.
- Bipartisan investigation cites management flaws at IRS Updated: Aug-05-15 5:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Management flaws at the IRS contributed to a "dysfunctional culture" that allowed agents to mistreat conservative political groups when they applied for tax-exempt status, according to the results of a bipartisan congressional investigation released Wednesday.
- Mount Pleasant medical researcher convicted of fraud Updated: Aug-05-15 6:56 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A medical researcher in Mount Pleasant has been convicted of defrauding the federal government.
- Race to replace convicted NY state senator's seat firms up Updated: Aug-03-15 3:41 pm
ALBANY, New York - Candidates from each of the major parties have emerged to campaign for a state Senate seat representing New York's Southern Tier after its previous occupant was convicted of lying to the FBI.
- Indian Parliament speaker bars 25 lawmakers for 'disorder' Updated: Aug-03-15 8:59 am
NEW DELHI - The speaker of India's Parliament on Monday barred 25 opposition legislators from its sessions for the rest of the week for causing "grave disorder" after they created noisy scenes.
- GOP looks to sexual harassment settlement for advantage Updated: Aug-02-15 12:44 pm
FANCY FARM, Kentucky - A $400,000 payment to settle the sexual harassment claims of three current or former state workers played an outsized role in Kentucky's premier political event on Saturday, evidence Republicans believe they can use it to their advantage as they seek to capture the governor's mansion and the state House of Representatives.
- Sen. Cruz takes on more traditional GOP target: the IRS Updated: Jul-29-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - After a week of fighting with other Republicans, Sen. Ted Cruz took on a more traditional GOP target Wednesday: the IRS.
- Rome's hot summer: corruption, breakdowns run city to ground Updated: Jul-29-15 12:07 pm
ROME - Pope Francis has declared a Jubilee Year for Rome. But the Eternal City will need a miracle to find anything to feel jubilant about.