- New laws aim to help Arizona curb overdose abuse, deaths Updated: May-24-16 7:41 pm
PHOENIX - As prescription pain relievers increasingly fuel addictions around the country, Arizona is moving to curb the sale of unnecessary prescription drugs and reduce the number of overdose-related deaths.
- Waitlists ease as more doctors offer addiction treatment Updated: May-24-16 5:24 pm
COLCHESTER, Vermont - Vermonters struggling with addiction who have had to face lengthy waitlists for treatment are getting some relief.
- In 'big cement momma,' inmates find path to sobriety Updated: May-23-16 1:06 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - She calls her spot in the Lehigh County Jail the "big cement momma."
- The cost of an overdose in Massachusetts Updated: May-23-16 10:14 am
FRAMINGHAM, Massachusetts - It all starts with a $20 to $30 purchase.
- Some forced to leave Delaware for drug addiction treatment Updated: May-22-16 4:23 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Some Delaware residents are going elsewhere to fight drug addictions due to a lack of services in the state.
- NY spends $1M to expand upstate addiction treatment services Updated: May-18-16 12:27 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state is expanding treatment for addiction in underserved areas upstate.
- Ohio's Republican US senator hopeful on anti-drug bill Updated: May-16-16 2:38 pm
CINCINNATI - Ohio's Republican U.S. senator said Monday he expects the nation's opioid abuse crisis to transcend election-year politics as Congress tries to work out compromise legislation on the problem.
- US surgeon general to visit Oklahoma drug treatment facility Updated: May-16-16 1:04 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The U.S. surgeon general is visiting a substance abuse and mental health treatment facility in Oklahoma City as part of federal health officials' effort to combat the rising use of prescription painkillers.
- Methadone programs help inmates treat their opioid addiction Updated: May-16-16 9:38 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - "It's like the flu times 10," Daniel said from his perch atop a plastic chair within Bridgeport Correctional Center, his temporary home.
- Bill would encourage police to help addicts find treatment Updated: May-13-16 4:58 pm
BOSTON - Legislation aimed at encouraging police departments to help heroin addicts find treatment instead of jail - a concept pioneered in Massachusetts by the Gloucester Police Department - has won approval in the U.S. House.
- NY attorney general offers help getting health coverage Updated: May-11-16 12:54 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's attorney general says people denied insurance coverage for addiction treatment and mental illness should contact his office for help.
- Prison begins offering injectable addiction recovery drug Updated: May-10-16 5:09 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A female inmate leaving prison this week is New Hampshire's first to be released after receiving an injectable drug that blocks the feelings of pleasure associated with opioid use.
- Vet Court graduate loses addiction battle Updated: May-07-16 10:59 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - James Gregory Dickinson entered the Montana 8th Judicial District Veterans Treatment Court with nothing but an addiction to meth - no home, no job, no identification.
- Manchester opens firehouse doors to drug addicts Updated: May-04-16 3:14 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire's biggest city is opening its firehouse doors to drug addicts in a program that allows them to seek treatment in an effort to avert overdoses.
- Rob Reiner, son explore a dark time in 'Being Charlie' Updated: May-04-16 1:16 pm
WEST HOLLYWOOD, California - "I maybe didn't handle it the best way," said Rob Reiner of his son's struggles with drugs.
- Officials to open at least 1 more in-jail drug program Updated: May-02-16 2:08 pm
HOLDEN, West Virginia - State officials plan to open at least one more inpatient substance-abuse treatment program at the Southwestern Regional Jail in Logan County.
- Ohio invests in opening recovery houses for heroin addicts Updated: Apr-30-16 9:52 am
DAYTON, Ohio - When residents of the Ome Garden neighborhood got word of plans for moving recovering drug addicts into a vacant house, they didn't like what they were hearing.
- Wayne County prosecutor creates drug treatment program Updated: Apr-28-16 11:08 am
RICHMOND, Indiana - An eastern Indiana prosecutor is starting a new treatment program for drug offenders that he hopes will end the cycle of addiction.