- Ohio's senators offer separate anti-heroin bills Updated: Feb-10-16 3:45 pm
CINCINNATI - Ohio's Democratic senator on Wednesday offered his own plan for battling the deadly drug overdose epidemic affecting many states, including his own.
- Martinsburg Council to vote on definition of public building Updated: Feb-09-16 1:10 pm
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - Martinsburg City Council members are expected to cast the final vote on an amendment to the city's zoning ordinance that would define public buildings in a way that would prevent the Berkley County Council from opening a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in the city.
- Gallup senator's detox center proposal goes before committee Updated: Feb-08-16 8:13 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A proposal to fund detox and substance abuse treatment centers for the homeless with money from the state's liquor excise tax is scheduled to go before the state Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee on Monday.
- Review: Errors led to parole of man who later killed officer Updated: Feb-05-16 3:10 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A series of communication breakdowns led a parole board to release a man to a drug treatment center where he later escaped and killed a police officer working overtime to pay for cancer treatments, the Utah Department of Corrections said Friday following an internal review.
- Budget committee approves spending more on drug treatment Updated: Feb-04-16 2:22 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Legislature's budget committee has approved a bill that would boost funding for drug treatment programs.
- Model Stephanie Seymour applies for alcohol rehab program Updated: Feb-02-16 12:09 pm
STAMFORD, Connecticut - Supermodel Stephanie Seymour has applied for a program that could lead to the dismissal of a drunken driving charge in Connecticut.
- All-female drug rehab facility to open in Raleigh County Updated: Feb-01-16 12:16 pm
BECKLEY, West Virginia - Construction is underway for an all-female drug rehabilitation facility in Raleigh County.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Jan-27-16 6:00 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- Hotel heir Conrad Hilton ordered into drug treatment Updated: Jan-26-16 11:34 pm
LOS ANGELES - Hotel heir Conrad Hilton has been ordered into substance abuse treatment after failing drug tests and violating his probation.
- Law ends practice of sending addicted women to state prison Updated: Jan-25-16 5:35 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts is ending its longstanding practice of sending women with alcohol or substance abuse problems but who have committed no crimes to the state prison for women in Framingham.
- Lawmaker introduces measure to regulate sober living homes Updated: Jan-25-16 8:12 am
PHOENIX - A House committee is set to hear a bill allowing cities, towns and counties to regulate sober living homes.
- Addiction treatment center operator to buy Lakeview property Updated: Jan-22-16 12:14 pm
EFFINGHAM, New Hampshire - An addiction treatment center operator is planning to buy the 72-acre property of an Effingham facility that used to treat people with brain injuries.
- Utah reviewing why man accused of killing cop out of prison Updated: Jan-21-16 7:08 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Authorities in Utah said Thursday they are reviewing how an ex-convict with a history of gun charges was released to a drug treatment center that he walked away from weeks before he fatally shot a police officer.
- The Latest: House GOP leader says REAL ID reform top on list Updated: Jan-19-16 7:59 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The latest on New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez's State of the State address (all times local):
- Budget cuts could reduce alcohol abuse treatment services Updated: Jan-18-16 7:31 am
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Behavioral health providers in Alaska are concerned about the impact of a potential $7 million reduction in grants to services such as mental health counseling and alcohol and drug abuse treatment.
- Northern Ky. doctor says more doctors must address heroin Updated: Jan-17-16 5:05 pm
FORT WRIGHT, Kentucky - Mina "Mike" Kalfas wanted nothing more than to practice family medicine in Northern Kentucky where he grew up. But then he got called in to help fill a vacancy at the drug and alcohol treatment center next door.
- Gov. Christie unveils new ideas, then leaves New Jersey Updated: Jan-16-16 11:08 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie unveiled plans to re-create a state prison as a drug treatment facility and slash the estate tax but immediately left New Jersey for the presidential campaign trail, raising questions about how he'll push for his priorities.
- Trout Run designation case will go back to County Council Updated: Jan-15-16 12:49 pm
FREDERICK, Maryland - The case over the historic designation of Trout Run will head back to the Frederick County Council.
- Substance abuse panel hears of ongoing need despite progress Updated: Jan-14-16 5:01 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont has expanded addiction treatment in a big way in recent years, but a state Senate committee heard Thursday of continuing waiting lists for treatment and huge caseloads for substance abuse counselors.
- Samaritan Health plans rehab center in Sweet Home Updated: Jan-14-16 2:14 pm
CORVALLIS, Oregon - Samaritan Health Services plans to convert an assisted living community in the Oregon city of Sweet Home into a drug and alcohol treatment center.
- Fresno County drug court to focus on treatment Updated: Jan-13-16 8:24 am
FRESNO, California - Fresno County Supervisors have voted to increase funding for a new drug court that emphasizes treatment over incarceration.
- Getting into the highlights of Christie's State of the State Updated: Jan-12-16 8:46 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Republican Gov. Chris Christie called for transforming a state prison into a drug treatment facility, lashed out at the Democratic Legislature over public pensions and bashed President Barack Obama during Tuesday's State of the State speech.
- Christie plans drug treatment rate increases, new facility Updated: Jan-12-16 7:35 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie on Tuesday announced plans to turn a recently closed prison into a drug treatment facility for inmates and said the state will invest $100 million to raise reimbursement rates for drug and mental health facilities, something that providers have long sought to help address the state's opioid epidemic.
- The Latest: Democrats jab Christie's speech as political Updated: Jan-12-16 6:24 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The latest on Gov. Chris Christie's State of the State address. (All times local).