- Owner of Echo Mountain Resort seeks bankruptcy protection Updated: Feb-09-16 12:54 am
DENVER - The owner of Echo Mountain Resort has filed for bankruptcy, citing nearly $1.5 million in debt.
- Good Washington snowpack raises hopes of calmer fire season Updated: Feb-08-16 5:51 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Mountain snowpack came in above normal in Washington state, raising hopes the normally soggy state will not repeat last year's drought conditions that helped fuel the worst wildfire season in its history, a federal agency said Monday.
- 2016 Ride the Rockies to go from Carbondale to Fort Collins Updated: Feb-08-16 10:46 am
DENVER - The 2016 Ride the Rockies route will take cyclists 403 miles from Carbondale to Fort Collins.
- Colorado's battle over tax limits could shape future growth Updated: Feb-08-16 10:32 am
DENVER - By 2030, Colorado's population will grow from 5 million to 7 million people, thanks in part to a strong and diverse economy, the state's famed Rocky Mountain quality of life, and its constitutionally-mandated low taxes.
- Skier killed in accident at Los Angeles County mountain Updated: Feb-08-16 9:55 am
LOS ANGELES - Authorities say a 61-year-old man was killed in a weekend skiing accident on a Los Angeles County mountain.
- Where Tetons grow, continents once collided Updated: Feb-07-16 1:08 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - Stepping back to when the Earth was just half as old as it is today, the tectonic plates that Jackson Hole now rests upon were located in a place that nobody yet knows.
- Chopper Rescue: Helicopters bring hiker off NC mountain Updated: Feb-07-16 11:36 am
ALTAMONT, North Carolina - A hiker who fell in the North Carolina mountains is safe after it took more than five hours and two helicopters to get him to a hospital in Asheville.
- Groups file suit to keep goats out of La Sal Mountains Updated: Feb-07-16 10:46 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Plant protection groups are suing the U.S. Forest Service, saying mountain goats released in the La Sal Mountains in southeast Utah are damaging rare species of plants.
- Officials: Pine beetle epidemic slowing, but not yet over Updated: Feb-07-16 10:38 am
CUSTER, South Dakota - State and federal officials say the mountain pine beetle epidemic is slowing but still continuing in the Black Hills.
- Jim Bridger: The man, the myth, the legend Updated: Feb-06-16 1:26 pm
BOZEMAN, Montana - For a 19th century mountain man, Jim Bridger has been getting a lot of attention these days.
- Professional snowboarder commits to living outside the box Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
KALISPELL, Montana - After gaining recognition as Snowboarder Magazine's 2016 Big Mountain Rider of the Year, Jason Robinson celebrated the capstone in his career by settling into plush new digs - an aluminum box.
- Avalanche in Grand Teton National Park injures man Updated: Feb-05-16 12:05 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - A Jackson resident has been injured after a wind slab avalanche in Grand Teton National Park partially buried him.
- Court upholds South Dakota vehicular homicide conviction Updated: Feb-04-16 5:26 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The South Dakota Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the conviction of a Lake Andes man who was drunk when he drove into two federal wildlife researchers, killing them.
- Colorado ski resort to get mini golf, mountain coaster Updated: Feb-04-16 11:21 am
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colorado - A ski resort in northern Colorado will welcome a new lift, mini golf course and mountain coaster this year.
- Video shows only known US jaguar roaming Arizona mountains Updated: Feb-03-16 11:58 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - The only known wild jaguar in the United States is seen roaming around a creek and other parts of a mountain range in southern Arizona in the first publicly released video of the giant cat.
- Red Mountain Pass back open after over 2 feet of snow Updated: Feb-03-16 10:22 am
DENVER - Red Mountain Pass in southwestern Colorado is back open after getting over 2 feet of snow from the storm that started over the weekend.
- Deep in Israel desert, shimmering glass mountains Updated: Feb-03-16 2:54 am
YERUHAM, Israel - Deep in the heart of Israel's desert, shimmering mountains of glass dominate the landscape.
- Maine's Special Olympics concludes on Sugarloaf Mountain Updated: Feb-02-16 12:56 pm
CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine - Events held as part of Maine's Special Olympics are winding down on the slopes of Sugarloaf Mountain as the 47th annual Winter Games comes to a close.
- Ice climber rescued from New Hampshire mountain after fall Updated: Feb-02-16 4:19 am
HART'S LOCATION, New Hampshire - Officials say a Massachusetts ice climber was rescued from a New Hampshire Mountain after he fell about 20 feet.
- Charges: Man causes $50,000 in damage to grain elevator Updated: Feb-01-16 6:42 pm
LAKE ANDES, South Dakota - Authorities say an 18-year-old South Dakota man caused about $50,000 in damage to a Lake Andes grain elevator over the weekend.
- Windsor Selectboard opposes Green Mountain Power solar array Updated: Jan-28-16 4:03 am
WINDSOR, Vermont - The Windsor Selectboard unanimously voted to oppose the construction of a 19,000-panel solar array proposed by Green Mountain Power.
- Helicopter rescues man stranded in snow on Mt. Pisgah Updated: Jan-26-16 6:23 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Emergency crews used a helicopter to rescue a man stranded in deep snow near the top of Mt. Pisgah in western North Carolina.
- Packed hearing for EPA proposal for coal-fired power plants Updated: Jan-26-16 6:08 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Hundreds of residents from central Utah communities that rely heavily on coal packed a public hearing Tuesday to show their opposition to a proposal requiring new pollution controls at the state's oldest coal-fired power plants.
- Colombia president calls for probe into hunting of rare bear Updated: Jan-26-16 1:56 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos is asking police to investigate the illegal hunting death of an endangered bear.
- Remains found in Phoenix mountain park ID'd as missing man Updated: Jan-26-16 10:31 am
PHOENIX - Human remains found in late December in a Phoenix mountain park have been identified as those of a Phoenix man who was reported missing in 2013.