- Feds reject request to lift Snake River fall chinook listing Updated: May-26-16 12:25 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The first attempt to delist one of the 13 species of Columbia Basin salmon and steelhead protected under the Endangered Species Act has been denied by federal authorities.
- Ex-environment minister warns of illegal logging in Senegal Updated: May-26-16 12:21 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Illegal timber sales from Senegal to Gambia could see the Casamance forest depleted significantly in the next two years, the former environment minister said Thursday.
- South African lion - veteran of 2 escapes - gets new home Updated: May-26-16 11:31 am
JOHANNESBURG - A South African lion who escaped twice from a national park since last year is being moved to another park where, officials say, there is little chance of a breakout.
- Audit calls for formal deer management plan in Minnesota Updated: May-26-16 11:29 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's legislative auditor says the Department of Natural Resources should develop a formal deer management plan that includes strategies to improve and maintain hunting and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Spanish police seize 74 elephant tusks in Madrid house Updated: May-26-16 10:12 am
MADRID - Spanish police say they seized 74 illegally hunted African elephant tusks worth an estimated 200,000 euros ($222,000) and arrested a man who was trying to legalize possession of them so they could be sold.
- State: Amberjack, gray triggerfish closures starting June 1 Updated: May-26-16 7:31 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is reminding anglers the 2016 recreational fishing season for greater amberjack and gray triggerfish will close in state waters on Wednesday, June 1.
- Whale-finding phone app grows in use, steering mariners away Updated: May-26-16 2:37 am
PORTLAND, Maine - With summer whale watching season fast approaching, conservation advocates and government agencies who want to protect whales say a mobile app designed to help mariners steer clear of the animals is helping keep them alive.
- UMaine to collect, evaluate lobsters for shell disease Updated: May-26-16 12:29 am
ORONO, Maine - The University of Maine is creating a team to collect and evaluate sick lobsters that are harvested in state waters.
- Gisele Bundchen to fight illegal animal trafficking Updated: May-25-16 6:12 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Gisele Bundchen is fighting for sea turtles.
- 1st US firefighters head to Canada to help attack huge blaze Updated: May-25-16 4:42 pm
BOISE, Idaho - For the first time, U.S. officials have sent firefighters to help battle a giant blaze in Canada that has destroyed parts of Fort McMurray in Alberta.
- House wading into California's long-running water war Updated: May-25-16 3:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Wading into a longstanding California water war, the House Wednesday endorsed a Republican plan to shift more water to San Joaquin Valley farmers and cut the flow for threatened fish and growers in another part of the state.
- Alligator captured near Dallas school Updated: May-25-16 2:27 pm
DALLAS - A 7-foot-long alligator has been captured in a field near a Dallas school.
- South African rhino endures, 1 year after horrific attack Updated: May-25-16 1:47 pm
BELA-BELA, South Africa - "Dancing with rhinos," the South African veterinarian joked as he supported the head of his staggering, nearly 2-ton patient, an injured rhino woozy with sedatives.
- Wisconsin DNR board approves reducing buck-only counties Updated: May-25-16 12:49 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin wildlife officials on Wednesday approved shrinking the number of northern counties where hunters can kill only bucks this fall, signaling they believe the herd in that region is rebounding.
- 20-foot-long whale washes ashore in Rhode Island Updated: May-25-16 11:40 am
MIDDLETOWN, Rhode Island - A 20-foot-long minke whale has washed ashore at the Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge in Rhode Island.
- Indiana bobcat hit by car is released following recovery Updated: May-25-16 11:19 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - A bobcat kitten struck by a car last fall has been released back into the wild following months of recovery at a wildlife center.
- PETA asks LSU to stop using captive tigers as mascots Updated: May-25-16 9:32 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Two animal rights groups are asking that Louisiana State University stop using captive tigers as mascots a day after LSU said its mascot was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
- 2 artificial islands rebuilt seabird rookery: 2000 nests Updated: May-25-16 8:28 am
NEW IBERIA, Louisiana - Two artificial islands created for seabird nesting have been rebuilt, and are more successful than biologists had hoped, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries says.
- Dad of missing teen fishermen recalls 'gut-wrenching' search Updated: May-25-16 8:00 am
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - The father of one of two missing teenage fishermen detailed the "gut-wrenching" search for the boys during an interview with investigators from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
- Bears look for food in western North Carolina neighborhoods Updated: May-25-16 6:59 am
HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina - Experts say black bears are moving into neighborhoods in western North Carolina in search of food.
- Federal officials approve plans for bridge on Outer Banks Updated: May-25-16 4:15 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal officials have given North Carolina approval to move forward with planning of a 2-mile bridge along N.C. Highway 12.
- Feds announce $10 million for wildfire projects in 12 states Updated: May-24-16 11:30 pm
MARSING, Idaho - Interior Secretary Sally Jewell on Tuesday toured a massive wildfire rehabilitation effort in southwest Idaho that's part of the federal government's new wildfire strategy and then announced $10 million for projects in 12 states to reduce wildfire threats.
- California oil line fixed after thousands of gallons spill Updated: May-24-16 6:05 pm
TRACY, California - Crews have repaired an oil pipeline that broke days ago and spilled up to 21,000 gallons of crude underground in rural Northern California, a spokesman for Shell Oil Co. said Tuesday.
- Honduran woman accused of punching a border agent's horse Updated: May-24-16 4:10 pm
GILA BEND, Arizona - A Honduran woman arrested in a drug smuggling bust in southern Arizona also is facing an animal cruelty charge for allegedly punching a border agent's horse.
- Officials: Black bear found dead in Roxbury had been shot Updated: May-24-16 4:04 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Environmental officials in Connecticut have determined that a black bear found dead last week in Roxbury had been shot.