- Gay couple attacked? In West Virginia, it's not a hate crime Updated: May-29-16 12:14 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Last April, police say, a Marshall University football player saw two men kissing on a West Virginia street, hopped out of the passenger seat of a car, shouted homophobic slurs and attacked the men, punching them in the face.
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent Updated: May-29-16 11:37 am
Candice Kashani graduated from law school debt-free this spring, thanks to a modern twist on an age-old arrangement.
- Students accused in campus sex assaults target federal rules Updated: May-28-16 1:27 pm
ATLANTA - As colleges face increasing pressure to aggressively investigate reports of sex assaults, some critics say the rights of the accused are being trampled. Now they want federal guidance on the issue to be tossed out.
- 16-year-old arrested in Florida school bathroom sex incident Updated: May-27-16 5:46 pm
A Florida sheriff's office arrested a 16-year-old high school football player Friday in connection with a 15-year-old girl having sex with multiple boys in a public school bathroom.
- Braves outfielder Hector Olivera suspended through Aug. 1 Updated: May-27-16 4:57 pm
ATLANTA - The Braves' dismal season took another turn for the worse Thursday when outfielder Hector Olivera agreed to accept a suspension through Aug. 1 for his arrest on domestic violence charges.
- Pennsylvania priest on leave after sexual harassment suit Updated: May-27-16 11:23 am
DUBOIS, Pennsylvania - A Catholic priest has been placed on leave after a woman sued his diocese, saying she was forced to resign when she complained that the cleric touched himself improperly during work meetings.
- Baylor looks to rebuild after report on sex assaults Updated: May-27-16 8:35 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Baylor University will look to rebuild its reputation and perhaps its football program after an outside review found administrators mishandled allegations of sexual assault and the team operated under the perception it was above the rules.
- News Guide: Review finds Baylor disregarded sexual assault Updated: May-27-16 2:23 am
DALLAS - After months of silence, Baylor University responded to mounting criticism of its handling of accusations of sexual assaults and other attacks by football players by demoting its president, Ken Starr, and firing its football coach, Art Briles.
- Briles' daughter calls Baylor case a 'media witch hunt' Updated: May-26-16 7:33 pm
The daughter of outgoing Baylor football coach Art Briles called the circumstances that led to his ouster a "media witch hunt" and wrote that her father is a "man of incredible character" in a Facebook post.
- The Latest: US says it's aware of Baylor announcement Updated: May-26-16 7:29 pm
WACO, Texas - The Latest on Baylor University's demotion of its president and firing of its football coach amid criticism of the school's handling of sexual assault complaints involving players (all times local):
- Valparaiso woman gets $200K for sexual harassment at Purdue Updated: May-26-16 6:09 pm
VALPARAISO, Indiana - Attorneys for a Valparaiso woman say Purdue University has paid her a $200,000 settlement after she alleged she was sexually harassed by two professors while serving as a graduate student and teaching assistant.
- Egypt: Muslim mob attacks Christians, parade naked woman Updated: May-26-16 2:21 pm
CAIRO - An armed Muslim mob stripped an elderly Christian woman and paraded her naked on the streets in an attack last week in which seven Christian homes were also looted and torched in a province south of the Egyptian capital.
- Utah lawsuit challenges pornography filter fees Updated: May-26-16 12:12 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A man with a history of filing longshot lawsuits is challenging on religious grounds a Utah law allowing Internet service providers to charge for filtering pornography. And some experts say this latest argument could have merit.
- Aide refused to send ex-Michigan lawmaker's false email Updated: May-25-16 6:27 pm
LANSING, Michigan - An aide testified Wednesday that a former Michigan lawmaker asked him to send an outlandishly false, sexually explicit email to thousands of fellow Republicans as a ruse so his extramarital affair with another legislator would not be believed if it became public, but the staffer refused because he thought it was unethical and possibly illegal.
- Columbus school district changes gender identity policy Updated: May-25-16 4:09 pm
COLUMBUS, Indiana - A southern Indiana school district has decided to add gender identity to an existing policy to allow students to use facilities designed for the sex with which they identify.
- School head gets 2 days to mull leave in teacher-sex scandal Updated: May-25-16 2:57 pm
PLUM, Pennsylvania - A district superintendent in suburban Pittsburgh has two days to consider taking paid leave while the school board investigates how he handled reports of inappropriate sexual relationships between teachers and students.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:55 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- The Latest: Aide: Lawmaker asked me to send false email Updated: May-25-16 12:26 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Latest on the prosecution of two former Michigan lawmakers who were forced from office (all times local):
- Indonesia to punish child rapists with chemical castration Updated: May-25-16 11:22 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesian President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo issued a regulation Wednesday that provides tougher penalties for child rapists, including chemical castration and the death penalty.
- EU condemns parties in South Sudan for human rights abuses Updated: May-23-16 9:31 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union is criticizing "all parties" in South Sudan for human rights abuses and killings of civilians says they "must cease immediately."
- Regents groups study Title IX, increasing college degrees Updated: May-22-16 1:03 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - The Kansas Board of Regents has approved a working group to study how the state's universities respond to sexual violence and other sex-based discrimination issues. A separate group will consider whether to find and encourage Kansans with some college credits but no degree to return to school.
- Review: 'Weiner' is riveting fly-on-the-wall filmmaking Updated: May-21-16 10:16 am
There are lots of fly-on-the-wall documentaries. But occasionally there's one that makes you want to ask the fly: Just HOW did you get onto that wall, and how did you manage to stay there?
- Utah lawmaker wants opt-in requirement for porn Updated: May-20-16 4:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker who succeeded in having pornography declared a public health crisis intends to continue his crusade through a bill that could require pornography filters to be placed on the Internet.
- Utah lawmaker wants opt-in requirement for porn Updated: May-20-16 2:03 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker plans to introduce bills designed to heavily restrict access to pornography across the predominantly Mormon state.
- Sex trafficker gets 30 years for operating prostitution ring Updated: May-20-16 6:47 am
BOSTON - A federal court judge handed down a 30-year prison sentence to a man investigators say operated one of the most violent sex trafficking rings in Boston in the last decade.