- Mississippi incentives for $1.45B tire plant could top $600M Updated: Feb-05-16 8:57 pm
CLINTON, Mississippi - An Associated Press analysis finds that the package of state aid and tax abatements to attract a $1.45 billion, 2,500-job Continental AG tire plant to Hinds County is worth approximately $600 million, and probably more.
- As fix nears for gas leak, residents worry about return home Updated: Feb-05-16 7:45 pm
LOS ANGELES - With a possible end in sight to a massive 15-week gas leak, anxious residents displaced from a Los Angeles neighborhood are skeptical a fix is near and worry they may be forced to return too soon to unhealthy homes.
- Borgata to stop paying taxes until Atlantic City pays $62.5M Updated: Feb-05-16 7:10 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's Borgata casino says it will stop making tax payments until the city hands over $62.5 million in court-ordered tax refunds.
- New Jersey sues Volkswagen, claiming emissions fraud Updated: Feb-05-16 6:25 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The state of New Jersey sued Volkswagen Friday, claiming the auto maker sold diesel vehicles equipped with software that deactivated on-board emission controls except during emissions testing.
- Businessman seeks leniency in halal beef export fraud case Updated: Feb-05-16 5:36 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Supporters of a prominent businessman and Muslim community leader packed a federal courtroom Friday to ask a judge to spare him prison time for committing fraud in exporting halal beef products to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Let the games begin: Legislature releases gambling proposals Updated: Feb-05-16 5:21 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida Legislature is going to consider a gambling proposal that would let the Seminole Tribe add craps and roulette to its casinos.
- Tyson Foods, LinkedIn are big market movers Updated: Feb-05-16 4:38 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks that moved substantially Friday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq stock market:
- Lawsuit challenges tribal reservation decision Updated: Feb-05-16 4:36 pm
TAUNTON, Massachusetts - A group of Massachusetts residents is challenging the federal government's decision to grant the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe reservation lands to build a casino.
- New Mexico succeeds in legal fight to bar horse slaughter Updated: Feb-05-16 3:49 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A court decision will prevent a horse slaughter operation from opening in New Mexico after the state's lengthy legal battle.
- Bridgestone-Firestone recalls over 36,000 truck tires Updated: Feb-05-16 2:58 pm
DETROIT - Bridgestone-Firestone North America is recalling more than 36,000 heavy truck tires in the U.S. and Canada because the tread can separate from the body and cause the tires to fail.
- Apple now accepting your banged-up iPhone Updated: Feb-05-16 2:29 pm
NEW YORK - Apple for the first time is accepting banged up iPhones as a trade-in from those wanting to upgrade.
- Coeur d'Alene RV park purchased by neighboring golf course Updated: Feb-05-16 2:24 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A troubled RV park and motel in Coeur d'Alene that sits next to a golf course has been purchased by the course's parent company.
- DraftKings makes long delayed push into UK Updated: Feb-05-16 2:10 pm
BOSTON - As its industry continues to tangle with U.S. policymakers, daily fantasy sports giant DraftKings is making its long-anticipated international push with a launch Friday in the United Kingdom.
- Flint food establishments urged to get water inspections Updated: Feb-05-16 1:59 pm
FLINT, Michigan - Food establishments in Flint are being encouraged to take advantage of free water safety inspections offered amid the city's crisis with lead-tainted water.
- Nebraska taxi cabs see decline with ride-hailing competition Updated: Feb-05-16 1:08 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Business for traditional cab companies has fallen since ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft have been allowed on Nebraska streets.
- Opposition to milk assessment fees halts proposal Updated: Feb-05-16 12:42 pm
HELENA, Montana - A Board of Livestock proposal to impose a fee for milk assessment inspections on dairy farmers in Montana has stalled.
- Lake Tahoe ski resort bans sale of bottled water Updated: Feb-05-16 12:25 pm
OLYMPIC VALLEY, California - A Lake Tahoe ski resort is banning the sale of single-use plastic water bottles in hopes of reducing waste.
- France cracks down on food waste by supermarkets Updated: Feb-05-16 11:36 am
PARIS - French supermarkets will be forbidden from destroying unsold food and encouraged to donate to charities or farms instead as part of a national campaign against food waste.
- Scandal-hit VW postpones earnings release, annual meeting Updated: Feb-05-16 11:04 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Volkswagen says it is postponing release of its full-year earnings as well as its annual shareholder meeting due to open questions about its diesel emissions scandal.
- Burberry to slash number of catwalk shows, speed up sales Updated: Feb-05-16 10:01 am
LONDON - Luxury fashion retailer Burberry says it will combine its menswear and womenswear catwalk shows into a single presentation, and slash the amount of time it takes for customers to obtain items seen on the runway.
- Protesting chauffeurs disrupt access to Paris airport Updated: Feb-05-16 7:55 am
PARIS - Protesting chauffeurs have moved to Paris' city center after having disrupted access to the Charles de Gaulle airport for a few hours, amid tensions between traditional taxis and app-based car services as the government loosens regulations in the evolving sector.
- Volvo posts higher 4th quarter profit on brisk Europe sales Updated: Feb-05-16 6:34 am
HELSINKI - Swedish truck maker AB Volvo has posted a fourth quarter net profit of 2.59 billion kronor ($310 million), compared with a 2.98 billion kronor loss last year, on the back of cost cuts and brisk sales in Europe.
- Toyota posts $5.4 billion quarterly profit, raises forecast Updated: Feb-05-16 5:05 am
TOKYO - Toyota's quarterly profit rose nearly 5 percent as the weaker yen and cost reductions offset declining sales in some markets. The automaker raised its full-year earnings forecast.
- Super Bowl ads go for the safety Updated: Feb-05-16 3:47 am
NEW YORK - Talking animals, celebrity cameos and crowd-pleasing rock songs: This year's Super Bowl advertisers are sticking to the classics in their efforts to win over Big Game viewers on Sunday.
- Honda's latest air bag recall to total 5.7 million cars Updated: Feb-05-16 3:24 am
TOKYO - Honda Motor Co. said Friday that it would recall 5.7 million cars worldwide in the latest round of recalls involving Takata Corp. air bag inflators that can explode and hurl shrapnel into the vehicle.