- Pentagon says 6 peacekeepers injured in Sinai explosions Updated: Sep-03-15 9:42 pm
WASHINGTON - The Defense Department says four U.S. soldiers and two Multinational Force and Observers' peacekeepers were injured by improvised explosive devices Thursday in the Northeast Sinai region of Egypt.
- Thousands of gallons of oil spilled in Mississippi River Updated: Sep-03-15 9:26 pm
COLUMBUS, Kentucky - Part of the Mississippi River was closed as crews investigated an oil spill caused by the collision of two tow boats, the U.S. Coast Guard said Thursday.
- Rock climber falls at Smith Rock State Park, injures ankle Updated: Sep-03-15 9:08 pm
TERREBONNE, Oregon - A 61-year-old rock climber has been injured after falling about 15 feet while climbing at Smith Rock State Park in central Oregon.
- Metrolink evaluating train car safety in wake of accident Updated: Sep-03-15 8:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - Metrolink is evaluating the safety of its crash-resistant cars and removing them from the front of trains in the wake of a deadly Southern California derailment, the railroad said Thursday.
- Driver of car killed in crash with school bus; students fine Updated: Sep-03-15 8:44 pm
BEND, Oregon - The driver of a passenger vehicle was killed in a collision with a school bus on Santiam Pass between the Willamette Valley and Bend.
- Los Angeles reduces kill rate at animal shelters Updated: Sep-03-15 8:42 pm
LOS ANGELES - An audit says one in four animals at Los Angeles shelters was euthanized last year but the city is making progress toward its goal of becoming a "no-kill" city.
- Holiday campers warned of smoke from California wildfire Updated: Sep-03-15 8:41 pm
FRESNO, California - Smoke from a large wildfire burning in California's Sierra Nevada has prompted a health warning for Labor Day weekend campers.
- Effort fails to block PG&E tax break for gas explosion fine Updated: Sep-03-15 8:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - An effort to block Pacific Gas and Electric Co. from getting a tax break on the $1.6 billion it was fined for the deadly 2010 San Bruno gas explosion has fallen short.
- Driver faces charge after 2 die in Vermont crash Updated: Sep-03-15 8:32 pm
SWANTON, Vermont - State police say a woman has been charged in connection with a motor vehicle accident that left two people dead in Swanton.
- Rabid bat bites man in Creswell Updated: Sep-03-15 8:06 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Health officials say a bat that bit a man this week in Creswell has tested positive for rabies.
- Small plane crashes in Bergen County field Updated: Sep-03-15 7:53 pm
CRESSKILL, New Jersey - A small Coast Guard Auxiliary plane has crashed in northern New Jersey.
- Rock-throwing that injured teacher results in jail sentences Updated: Sep-03-15 7:45 pm
LEWISBURG, Pennsylvania - Three young men apologized to their victim on Thursday after a judge sentenced them to time behind bars for throwing a rock from an interstate overpass, striking the woman in the head and causing her severe brain damage.
- Woman, girl found dead after western Wisconsin house fire Updated: Sep-03-15 7:37 pm
NEW RICHMOND, Wisconsin - Police say a woman and her daughter were found dead after a house fire in western Wisconsin and a 37-year-old suspect has been arrested in Texas.
- 2 soldiers still hospitalized after Black Hawk accident Updated: Sep-03-15 7:24 pm
CASTLE ROCK, Colorado - Fort Carson says two soldiers injured when their Black Hawk helicopter landed hard in a suburban Denver forest in Douglas County remain hospitalized and in stable condition.
- Forest Service spends a record $243M last week on wildfires Updated: Sep-03-15 7:03 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Forest Service spent a record $243 million last week battling forest fires around the country, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Thursday.
- 2 dead after small plane crashes into California driveway Updated: Sep-03-15 7:01 pm
SANTEE, California - A small plane grazed the roof of a California home and crashed in a driveway Thursday, killing two people onboard, authorities said. Nobody on the ground was hurt.
- Jonesboro officer injured in head-on collision with truck Updated: Sep-03-15 6:50 pm
JONESBORO, Arkansas - A Jonesboro police officer has been injured in a head-on collision just north of the city.
- Police investigating after baby drowns in bathtub Updated: Sep-03-15 6:41 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Police say a baby girl has died in an accidental bathtub drowning at an Eagle Mountain home.
- Settlement over decade-old Gulf oil leak filed in court Updated: Sep-03-15 5:56 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Environmental groups signed a settlement agreement Thursday to resolve their lawsuit against a New Orleans company that has failed to end a decade-old oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Detroit dog owner pleads guilty in brutal mauling of man Updated: Sep-03-15 5:46 pm
DETROIT - A Detroit dog owner has pleaded guilty in the brutal mauling of a man who was attacked while feeding a pack of pit bulls.
- The Latest: Mississippi River oil spill not affecting port Updated: Sep-03-15 5:46 pm
COLUMBUS, Kentucky - The latest on the oil spill along the Mississippi River that caused a section of the waterway to be shut down (all times local):
- Metro chief safety officer resigns following derailment Updated: Sep-03-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Metro's chief safety officer has resigned, becoming the first executive to step down after a derailment in downtown Washington that embarrassed the transit agency.
- Push is on to settle lawsuits in New Jersey derailment case Updated: Sep-03-15 5:37 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A push is on to reach settlements in federal lawsuits over a train derailment that released a dangerous chemical in a New Jersey town nearly three years ago.
- Police: Cop fabricated claim that gunman shot at his cruiser Updated: Sep-03-15 5:20 pm
MILLIS, Massachusetts - An officer fabricated a claim that a gunman fired at his cruiser before it crashed into a tree and caught on fire, police officials said Thursday.
- Dominica estimates storm damage at nearly half of GDP Updated: Sep-03-15 5:16 pm
ROSEAU, Dominica - A preliminary assessment of the effects of Tropical Storm Erika on the island of Dominica has found damage to basic infrastructure alone that amounts to nearly half of the small country's GDP, the prime minister said Thursday.