- Iranian refugee dies after setting himself on fire on Nauru Updated: Apr-29-16 1:40 am
SYDNEY - An Iranian refugee who set himself on fire at Australia's immigration detention camp on the Pacific island nation of Nauru died of his injuries on Friday, officials said.
- Ex-Montana Sen. Conrad Burns dies; influenced energy policy Updated: Apr-29-16 12:01 am
HELENA, Montana - Former Montana Sen. Conrad Burns, a former cattle auctioneer whose folksy demeanor and political acumen earned him three terms and the bitter disdain of his opponents, died Thursday. He was 81.
- Montana leaders react to former Sen. Conrad Burns' death Updated: Apr-28-16 11:45 pm
HELENA, Montana - Condolences rolled in Thursday night as word of former U.S. Sen. Conrad Burns' death spread across Montana. Burns died of natural causes at his home in Billings, Montana Republican Party Executive Director Jeff Essmann said. Here is what some of the state's leaders had to say:
- ABA team owner and envied dealmaker Ozzie Silna dies Updated: Apr-28-16 11:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - Ozzie Silna, who turned a fading American Basketball Association franchise into a four-decade windfall of nearly $800 million from the NBA in what's commonly called the greatest deal in sports history, has died at age 83.
- Investigators look at overdose in Prince death Updated: Apr-28-16 10:30 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose and whether a doctor was prescribing him drugs in the weeks before he was found dead at his home in suburban Minneapolis, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press on Thursday.
- K-tel creator Philip Kives has died at age 87 Updated: Apr-28-16 9:23 pm
TORONTO - Philip Kives, the tireless TV pitchman whose commercials implored viewers to "wait, there's more!" while selling everything from vegetable slicers to hit music compilations on vinyl, has died at age 87.
- Blackie Sherrod, longtime Texas sports writer, dead at 96 Updated: Apr-28-16 8:48 pm
DALLAS - The East Coast had Red Smith. The West Coast had Jim Murray. Texas had Blackie Sherrod.
- Daugaard requests flags at half-staff in Redlin's memory Updated: Apr-28-16 7:13 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard has requested that flags in South Dakota be flown at half-staff Friday to honor the life of outdoors artist Terry Redlin.
- Fans' Holy Grail: unreleased songs in Prince's vault Updated: Apr-28-16 6:25 pm
LOS ANGELES - Before his death, fans searching online for Prince were likely to find just a handful of his performance videos and almost none of his recorded music. In the days since he died, YouTube and other uploading sites have been flooded with hundreds of hours of the superstar musician's songs, concert footage, TV appearances and music videos.
- Memorial services set for late civil rights leader Kyles Updated: Apr-28-16 5:17 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Memorial and funeral services have been set for the Rev. Samuel Billy Kyles, the civil rights leader and friend of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who died Tuesday in Memphis at age 81.
- Les Waas, creator of the Mister Softee jingle, dies at 94 Updated: Apr-28-16 1:14 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Les Waas, the advertising legend behind the Mister Softee jingle heard in hundreds of ice cream trucks for more than half a century, has died. He was 94.
- Leominster High mourns loss of young teacher Updated: Apr-28-16 9:32 am
LEOMINSTER, Massachusetts - Faculty and students at Leominster (LEH'-min-stuhr) High School are mourning the sudden death of a young and dedicated teacher.
- Prince's estate to be temporarily managed by trust company Updated: Apr-27-16 7:19 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota judge appointed a corporate trust company on Wednesday to temporarily oversee Prince's multimillion-dollar estate, saying the emergency appointment was necessary because the superstar musician doesn't appear to have a will and immediate decisions must be made about his business interests.
- Washington State Patrol dog dies after sudden illness Updated: Apr-27-16 7:02 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - The Washington State Patrol says that once of its police dogs has died after undergoing emergency surgery.
- High court seems poised to overturn McDonnell conviction Updated: Apr-27-16 3:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court could make it tougher for the government to crack down on public corruption, signaling Wednesday that it may overturn former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's federal bribery conviction.
- Toby Keith reflects on Merle Haggard ahead of tribute Updated: Apr-27-16 12:41 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Country star Toby Keith said it was always a thrill to perform with Merle Haggard, whether it was playing together for fun or helping Haggard finish one of his last shows before his death at age 79.
- The Rev. Billy Kyles dies; was present when ML King was shot Updated: Apr-27-16 11:46 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Rev. Samuel Billy Kyles, a longtime civil rights leader who was present when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on a hotel balcony, has died in Memphis. He was 81.
- Germany to subsidize electric cars to help own auto industry Updated: Apr-27-16 9:13 am
BERLIN - Germany's auto industry risks being overtaken by foreign competitors unless it receives greater domestic support, the country's economy minister said Wednesday, announcing a 1 billion euro ($1.13 billion) plan to subsidize electric cars that are seen as the technology of the future.
- China human rights campaigner Harry Wu dies Updated: Apr-27-16 2:57 am
BEIJING - Harry Wu, a former political prisoner who dedicated his later life to exposing abuses in China's brutal prison labor camp system, has died. He was 79.
- Former Jets offensive lineman Winston Hill dead at 74 Updated: Apr-27-16 12:16 am
NEW YORK - Winston Hill, a durable All-Pro offensive tackle who played 15 seasons and helped protect Joe Namath on the way to the New York Jets' Super Bowl victory in 1969, has died. He was 74.
- Ex-Baylor star QB Tom Muecke dead at 52 Updated: Apr-26-16 5:18 pm
WACO, Texas - Former Baylor quarterback Tom Muecke (MIH'-kee), a two-time all-Southwest Conference star in the 1980s who went on to play seven seasons in the Canadian Football League, has died at the age of 52.
- Public viewing planned for outdoors artist Redlin Updated: Apr-26-16 4:25 pm
WATERTOWN, South Dakota - The family of outdoors artist Terry Redlin says a public viewing will be held Friday at the Watertown art center that bears his name.
- Prince's lawyer: Death a shock; singer led clean lifestyle Updated: Apr-25-16 10:46 pm
Prince's longtime lawyer called the death of the superstar a complete shock and said Monday that the singer lived a clean and healthy lifestyle, disputing suggestions that he had a drug addiction.
- Ex-Husker Joe Blahak, who threw key block for Rodgers, dies Updated: Apr-25-16 9:01 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Former Nebraska defensive back Joe Blahak (Blah-ha), a member of the Cornhuskers' national championship teams in 1970-71, has died.
- Butte boy dies after being crushed by boat dock Updated: Apr-25-16 7:37 pm
HELENA, Montana - A 3-year-old Butte boy has died of injuries suffered when part of a metal boat dock fell on him at a fishing access site on Canyon Ferry Lake near Helena.