- Cancer specialist Arthur Porter dies in Panama Updated: Jul-01-15 9:43 pm
TORONTO - Arthur Porter, a cancer specialist who was facing fraud charges related to a $1.3 billion hospital project in Montreal, died Wednesday in Panama after a lengthy battle with lung cancer, his biographer said. He was 59.
- Former sports writer and publicist Jack Disney dies at 80 Updated: Jul-01-15 7:50 pm
ARCADIA, California - Jack Disney, a longtime sports writer with the old Los Angeles Herald Examiner who later worked in publicity at two Southern California horse racing tracks, has died. He was 80.
- Alabama Rep. Dan Williams dead at age 73 Updated: Jul-01-15 5:13 pm
ATHENS, Alabama - An Alabama lawmaker who once served as mayor of Athens has died at the age of 73.
- Indiana woman seeks visitation with daughter after prison Updated: Jul-01-15 3:43 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - A northern Indiana woman who spent more than five years in prison for battering her infant, who eventually died of the injuries, is pushing for visitation time with her other daughter.
- Nicholas Winton, savior of Jewish children, dies at 106 Updated: Jul-01-15 2:47 pm
LONDON - He was just a 29-year-old clerk at the London Stock Exchange when he faced the challenge of a lifetime. Traveling with a friend to Czechoslovakia in 1938, as the drums of impending war echoed around Europe, Nicholas Winton was hit by a key realization.
- Texas funeral home donates caskets for poor veterans Updated: Jun-30-15 7:47 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Sabrina Thompson's uncle, a Vietnam War veteran named Benjamin Harold Fitts, died May 6.
- Legendary bluesman Robert Johnson's son dies in Mississippi Updated: Jun-30-15 7:40 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A son of legendary Mississippi blues artist Robert Johnson became rich by winning a court fight over his father's estate. But even when finances were no longer a concern, an attorney said Claud Johnson kept the gravel truck he had driven for years - a reminder of the hard work that guided his own life.
- Former French security chief Charles Pasqua dies at 88 Updated: Jun-30-15 1:10 pm
PARIS - Charles Pasqua, a French Resistance fighter who went on to become France's top security chief and a powerful player on the French right, has died in Paris. He was 88.
- Food critic, former AC Press editor Ed Hitzel dead at 64 Updated: Jun-30-15 11:53 am
MAYS LANDING, New Jersey - Longtime food critic, radio personality and newspaper editor in southern New Jersey Ed Hitzel has died. He was 64.
- Montana journalist, Red Elk, dies at 62 Updated: Jun-30-15 11:53 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Award-winning journalist and editor, Bonnie Red Elk, has passed away. She was 62.
- Man exonerated last year after 30 years on death row dies Updated: Jun-30-15 3:51 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - A 65-year-old Shreveport man on death row for three decades before being exonerated last year has died.
- Jack Carter, brash comic, dies at 93 Updated: Jun-29-15 9:14 pm
LOS ANGELES - Jack Carter, whose brash, caustic comedy made him a star in early television and helped him sustain a career of more than a half-century in TV, nightclubs, movies and on stage, died of respiratory failure at his Beverly Hills, California, home, a family spokesman said.
- Thomas Kennedy, longtime Massachusetts lawmaker, dies at 63 Updated: Jun-29-15 8:01 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts Sen. Thomas Kennedy, a Brockton Democrat who overcame an accident that required him to use a wheelchair and went on to serve in the Legislature for more than three decades, has died. He was 63.
- John Lannan, longtime newsman, dies at 87 Updated: Jun-29-15 11:16 am
DARMISCOTTA, Maine - John Lannan, a reporter and editor for numerous organizations, including The Associated Press, has died. He was 87.
- Funeral held for woman who went missing after overdosing Updated: Jun-29-15 11:05 am
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - Funeral services have been held for a northern New Jersey woman whose remains were found a year after she died of a drug overdose.
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84 Updated: Jun-29-15 9:20 am
PRAGUE - Czech football great Josef Masopust, who led the national side to the final of the 1962 World Cup, has died aged 84.
- Chris Squire, bassist of progressive rock band Yes, dies Updated: Jun-28-15 8:20 pm
NEW YORK - Chris Squire, the bassist and co-founder of the progressive rock band Yes who recently announced he had leukemia, has died, according to a statement from his band members on Sunday. He was 67.
- Kyle Busch grabs 1st win of season as comeback rolls on Updated: Jun-28-15 8:11 pm
SONOMA, California - After two practice sessions at Sonoma Raceway, Kyle Busch spent an evening icing his surgically repaired left foot.
- Cat stationmaster Tama mourned in Japan, elevated as goddess Updated: Jun-28-15 1:50 pm
TOKYO - Tama the stationmaster, Japan's feline star of a struggling local railway, was mourned by company officials and fans and elevated into a goddess at a funeral Sunday.
- Iowa Board of Regents to part ways with top legal counsel Updated: Jun-28-15 11:55 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The governing board for Iowa's three public universities is cutting ties with the man who has served as its top lawyer for over a decade, as part of several ongoing personnel changes.
- Fundraising almost complete for Cedar Falls beach house Updated: Jun-28-15 11:38 am
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - It's built like a brick ... beach house. Well, actually, it's concrete block.
- Authorities: Anti-vaccine doctor dead in apparent suicide Updated: Jun-26-15 11:32 pm
CHIMNEY ROCK, North Carolina - Authorities say anti-vaccine Dr. Jeff Bradstreet has been found dead in an apparent suicide in North Carolina.
- United Nations charter, signed in San Francisco, turns 70 Updated: Jun-26-15 7:44 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hundreds of people packed the rotunda of San Francisco City Hall to mark the 70th birthday of the signing of the United Nations charter.
- Mayor of Charleston, Larry Rennels, dies of natural causes Updated: Jun-26-15 9:02 am
CHARLESTON, Illinois - Authorities in Coles County say the mayor of Charleston has died of natural causes.
- Former Russian PM Yevgeny Primakov dies at 85 Updated: Jun-26-15 8:13 am
MOSCOW - Former Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, whose career included desperate but unsuccessful diplomatic efforts to avert wars in Iraq and NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia, has died. He was 85.