- Here's a story of a lovely lady and Gomer at the Indy 500 Updated: May-28-16 12:42 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - They are the names that stamped the Indianapolis 500 as a four-wheeled slice of Americana from the heartland. Rick Mears. A.J. Foyt. The Andrettis. Helio Castroneves.
- Pippa Mann lone woman left for 100th Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-28-16 2:20 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Four years ago, Pippa Mann was answering questions in Gasoline Alley about the record-tying four female drivers in the Indianapolis 500, and how it represented another step toward women one day winning at the Brickyard.
- Dean Stoneman wins closest Freedom 100 by 0.0024 seconds Updated: May-27-16 3:31 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The weekend of the 100th running of the Indy 500 got off to a historic start Friday.
- Karam, Wilson try and move on at Indy 500 from fatal wreck Updated: May-27-16 2:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Jody Karam returned from a bicycle ride and saw his son on the phone with race team owner Chip Ganassi. At the Karam home just 15 miles from Pocono Raceway, Sage Karam heard the news that would send the blonde bundle of energy into a depression,
- Tony Kanaan fastest in final practice for 100th Indy 500 Updated: May-27-16 1:40 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Tony Kanaan was so frustrated during qualifying that he was simply relieved once it was over.
- IndyCar drivers find comfort in having strong safety team Updated: May-27-16 1:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Dario Franchitti doesn't remember the crash that ended his career three years ago in Houston.
- Castroneves still chasing fourth Indianapolis 500 victory Updated: May-27-16 11:12 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Trying to persuade Helio Castroneves to rank his three Indianapolis 500 victories is tantamount to asking an adoring mother or father to rank their children in order of affection.
- Indy 500 winners determine best drivers, greatest races Updated: May-27-16 10:52 am
INDIANAPOLIS - In the lead-up to the 100th running of the "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," The Associated Press interviewed the 27 living race winners on topics ranging from the greatest driver to most memorable moment.
- Ladies and gentlemen: Stop your engines en route to Indy 500 Updated: May-26-16 10:48 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Officials are urging people headed to the Indianapolis 500 to limit idling of their vehicles in effort to improve air quality in central Indiana.
- Penske the standard of excellence at Indy after 50 years Updated: May-26-16 4:26 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1951 when Jay Penske scored a pair of tickets to the Indianapolis 500. He was an executive for a metal fabrication company in Cleveland that was sponsoring a few laps in the race, so he brought his 14-year-old son to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Larger crowd means tighter security at this year's Indy 500 Updated: May-26-16 2:57 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - An anticipated record-breaking crowd at this year's 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 has officials cautioning attendees to be ready for heightened security.
- Greatest drivers at Indy? Try Foyt and Mears amid debate Updated: May-26-16 1:58 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - To win the Indianapolis 500, a driver must weather months of preparation then two stressful weeks of hype leading into "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing." When the race actually begins, every driver is tested on skill, talent, luck, strategy, endurance and perseverance.
- Meet the man Indy 500 champions say saved the race Updated: May-26-16 9:54 am
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1945 and the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway was in disrepair. Already in desperate need of improvements, a third of Gasoline Alley had burned four years earlier. Then came World War II and a four-year hiatus for the Indianapolis 500.
- Foyt still having fun as popular figure at Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-25-16 6:07 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A.J. Foyt has always enjoyed a good show.
- Indy 500 organizers announce sellout, lift TV blackout Updated: May-25-16 4:39 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - All tickets for Sunday's Indianapolis 500 have been sold and, for only the third time in history, local race fans will be able to watch the race live on television.
- Indy 500 champions choose the greatest rivalries of the race Updated: May-25-16 4:21 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Mario Andretti silently stewed as Bobby Unser celebrated winning the 1981 Indianapolis 500.
- Indianapolis 500 ticket prices soaring on secondary market Updated: May-25-16 4:07 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 is the hottest ticket in town, now that race organizers have announced all seats, suites and the infield have been sold out for Sunday's race.
- The Greatest Spectacle in Racing remains an American icon Updated: May-25-16 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis 500 has outlasted two world wars, the decline of the automobile industry, a bitter split in open-wheel racing and more death than anyone cares to recall.
- Highlights from the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-25-16 10:01 am
RACE: 99th Indianapolis 500
- Indy 500 champions choose Andretti as best to never win Updated: May-25-16 9:16 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The words were stunning as they flew out of announcer Paul Page's mouth in the waning laps of the 1992 Indianapolis 500.
- James Hinchcliffe making new memories in Indianapolis Updated: May-24-16 8:39 pm
NEW YORK - In his return to Indianapolis Motor Speedway this May, James Hinchcliffe didn't find himself reliving the terror and agony of the crash there that nearly killed him.
- Death a grim chapter in storied history of Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-24-16 5:50 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Rich MacDonald was just a kid, trying to find his dad's race number on the big screen through the flames and black mushroom clouds choking the track.
- AP WAS THERE: Ray Harroun wins 1st Indianapolis 500 in 1911 Updated: May-24-16 1:29 pm
Few knew what to expect when they converged on Pressley Farm that May morning, not even the reporters who arrived at the sprawling banked oval for the first International 500-Mile Sweepstakes Race.
- Highlights from the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-24-16 1:01 pm
RACE: 98th Indianapolis 500
- Sweet spot: Indy 500 champions say milk race's top tradition Updated: May-24-16 12:59 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Sam Hornish Jr. remembers every moment from his Indy 500 victory as if they were snapshots in time.