- Ronaldo scores twice to lead Madrid to 4-2 win over Bilbao Updated: Feb-13-16 12:26 pm
- Van Gaal doubts Man United's top-4 chances after latest loss Updated: Feb-13-16 12:15 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal cast doubt on his team's chances of qualifying for next season's Champions League after a 2-1 loss at relegation-threatened Sunderland in the Premier League, placing the Dutchman under fresh scrutiny on Saturday.
- Long's header sends Swansea closer to drop zone Updated: Feb-13-16 12:11 pm
SWANSEA, Wales - Swansea goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski was unable to stop a 69th-minute header from Shane Long as Southampton won 1-0 on Saturday, pushing the Welsh club closer to the drop zone.
- Payet inspires West Ham to recover for 2-2 draw at Norwich Updated: Feb-13-16 11:59 am
NORWICH, England - Dimitri Payet scored one goal and set up another to inspire West Ham's comeback from two goals behind in a 2-2 draw at Norwich in the Premier League on Saturday.
- Stoke ends losing run with 3-1 league win at Bournemouth Updated: Feb-13-16 11:56 am
BOURNEMOUTH, England - Stoke ended a run of three consecutive 3-0 defeats in the Premier League with a morale-boosting 3-1 win at Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Mkhitaryan helps Dortmund provisionally cut Bundesliga gap Updated: Feb-13-16 11:41 am
BERLIN - Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored for Borussia Dortmund to labor to a 1-0 win over bottom side Hannover and provisionally cut Bayern Munich's Bundesliga lead to five points on Saturday.
- Man United loses 2-1 at Sunderland after late own goal Updated: Feb-13-16 10:44 am
SUNDERLAND, England - A late own goal by goalkeeper David de Gea consigned Manchester United to a 2-1 loss at relegation-threatened Sunderland in the Premier League on Saturday, dealing another blow to the team's ambitions of finishing in the Champions League qualification places.
- Cruyff, sure of cancer recovery, says he leads disease 2-0 Updated: Feb-13-16 8:58 am
LONDON - Dutch soccer great Johan Cruyff announced Saturday that he is "2-0 up in the first half" and confident he will go on to win his battle against lung cancer.
- Victory, City in 2-2 Melbourne derby draw in A-League Updated: Feb-13-16 6:19 am
SYDNEY - Guilherme Finkler scored a second-half equalizer to give Melbourne Victory a 2-2 draw with Melbourne City in their city derby on Saturday.
- FIFA presidential candidates make presentations to CONCACAF Updated: Feb-12-16 7:53 pm
MIAMI - Four of the five candidates for FIFA president made presentations to CONCACAF officials Friday.
- Porto beats Benfica 2-1, gets back in contention in Portugal Updated: Feb-12-16 5:50 pm
LISBON, Portugal - FC Porto rallied to defeat Benfica 2-1 on Friday, snapping the rival's eight-game winning streak and getting back to the title race at the Portuguese league.
- Rennes beats Angers 1-0 with injury-time goal Updated: Feb-12-16 5:22 pm
PARIS - An injury-time own goal from defender Arnold Bouka Moutou helped Rennes to a 1-0 win over Angers as the Brittany club leapfrogged the promoted side in the French league standings.
- Dzeko scores as Roma beats Carpi 3-1 to move 3rd in Serie A Updated: Feb-12-16 4:59 pm
MODENA, Italy - Edin Dzeko broke his goalscoring drought to help Roma win 3-1 at relegation-threatened Carpi and move provisionally third in Serie A on Friday.
- Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry spills into Copa del Rey final Updated: Feb-12-16 2:55 pm
MADRID - The rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona has spilled into the Copa del Rey final, a match in which Madrid isn't even playing.
- FIFA ethics committee bans Jerome Valcke for 12 years Updated: Feb-12-16 2:00 pm
GENEVA - Jerome Valcke, Sepp Blatter's long-time right-hand man, was banned from all soccer-related activity for 12 years Friday for misconduct during his term as FIFA secretary general.
- Ex-soccer player Bent given 12-month suspended jail sentence Updated: Feb-12-16 1:18 pm
GUILDFORD, England - Former English Premier League player Marcus Bent was handed a 12-month suspended jail sentence on Friday for confronting two police officers with a meat cleaver and a kitchen knife while under the influence of cocaine.
- Prosecutor: Johnson 'abused revered position' in sex case Updated: Feb-12-16 9:51 am
BRADFORD, England - English soccer player Adam Johnson "abused his revered position in society" by having sexual contact with a 15-year-old girl who "idolized" him, prosecutors said on Friday.
- Kompany in line to return for Man City after injury Updated: Feb-12-16 9:39 am
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany is in line to play against Tottenham on Sunday for his first match this year, after recovering from a calf injury.
- Costa has broken nose, should play for Chelsea vs Newcastle Updated: Feb-12-16 8:55 am
LONDON - Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink says Diego Costa broke his nose in training but still expects the striker to be available for the English Premier League game against Newcastle on Saturday.
- English soccer set for another fan protest at Arsenal Updated: Feb-12-16 7:30 am
Fan protests have been the theme of the week in European soccer - and there could be another on the way in the most high-profile game in the English Premier League this weekend.
- Worawi hopes depend on appeal against FAT elections Updated: Feb-11-16 11:47 pm
BANGKOK - Worawi Makudi's attempts to cling onto power in Thai football depend on an appeal against this week's Football Association of Thailand elections which voted in a new president.
- Arsenal and Chivas to play July exhibition in Los Angeles Updated: Feb-11-16 6:50 pm
CARSON, California - Arsenal and Chivas will play an exhibition match in the Los Angeles area on July 31 as part of the English Premier League club's U.S. tour.
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Updated: Feb-11-16 5:46 pm
CORAL GABLES, Florida - In his most recent game, Miami Hurricanes senior Tonye Jekiri twice saved balls from going out of bounds under his basket, forced a turnover at midcourt and was the first player down the floor on a fast break.
- Payet signs new contract with Premier League club West Ham Updated: Feb-11-16 5:39 pm
LONDON - West Ham midfielder Dimitri Payet has agreed a contract which will keep him at the club until 2021.
- Sunderland fires Adam Johnson after guilty pleas in sex case Updated: Feb-11-16 2:46 pm
SUNDERLAND, England - Sunderland has fired winger Adam Johnson after he pleaded guilty to grooming and sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl at the start of his trial.