- Food safety experts urge backyard cooks to take precautions Updated: May-22-16 5:03 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Memorial Day weekend marks the start of grilling season for many people, so food safety experts are encouraging backyard cooks to take proper precautions.
- Frozen food recall covers hundreds of items from many stores Updated: May-20-16 11:00 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Amid a massive frozen foods recall involving millions of packages of fruits and vegetables that were shipped to all 50 U.S. states, Canada and Mexico, authorities who want to stem the listeria-linked illnesses and deaths worry it'll be difficult to get consumers to dig through their freezers and check for products they may have bought as far back as 2014.
- Report: Genetically altered food safe but not curing hunger Updated: May-17-16 1:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Genetically manipulated food remains generally safe for humans and the environment, a high-powered science advisory board declared in a report Tuesday.
- Grower recalls orange habanero peppers from Texas, Indiana Updated: May-13-16 10:44 pm
MCALLEN, Texas - A South Texas grower has recalled shipments of orange habanero peppers shipped to Indianapolis and McAllen, Texas, since April 28 because of a potential salmonella risk.
- Longtime Detroit sandwich maker hit with order over safety Updated: May-13-16 3:57 pm
DETROIT - A Detroit company that has supplied sandwiches to police departments, gas stations and small stores for more than 50 years has been ordered to stop until it complies with food safety rules.
- California meat inspector sentenced for falsifying documents Updated: May-10-16 9:04 am
LOS ANGELES - Federal prosecutors say a California meat inspector who falsely certified that contaminated beef was free of E. coli has been sentenced to a year of home detention.
- State orders recall of Organic Pastures milk, cream Updated: May-09-16 8:15 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State regulators are recalling raw milk and raw cream produced by Fresno County-based Organic Pastures Dairy after salmonella was detected in one of the products.
- Budget cuts take a bite out of Alaska's food safety division Updated: May-08-16 11:29 am
JUNEAU, Alaska - The latest round of budget cuts in Alaska could leave residents vulnerable to dirty restaurant kitchens, foodborne illnesses and scummy pools.
- Pilgrim's Pride expands recall of cooked chicken products Updated: May-07-16 1:36 pm
WACO, Texas - Pilgrim's Pride is expanding a 5 million pound recall that federal food safety regulators say includes a variety of chicken products potentially contaminated with foreign materials.
- Food freedom movement clashes with public health fears Updated: May-06-16 5:23 pm
OGDEN, Utah - In 2014, 99 people were infected by bacteria traced to raw milk sold at a small dairy in Weber County. One person died and 10 were hospitalized. The campylobacter outbreak triggered an investigation by state and federal health authorities of unpasteurized milk practices in Utah.
- Correction: Backyard Chickens story Updated: May-06-16 2:37 pm
DENVER - In a story May 4 about a law exempting small chicken farmers from certain regulations, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the law eliminates mandatory food-safety classes. The bill was amended to retain a mandatory food-safety course.
- Blue Bell recalls Cookies 'n Cream mislabeled Rocky Road Updated: May-04-16 5:01 pm
BRENHAM, Texas - Blue Bell Creameries is recalling select lots of Rocky Road pint packages mistakenly filled with Cookies n' Cream ice cream at its flagship Brenham plant.
- Pasco company recalls frozen vegetables linked to listeria Updated: May-03-16 8:59 pm
SEATTLE - A Pasco, Washington, company has expanded its recall of frozen vegetables linked to a listeria outbreak that has sickened eight people.
- Thailand is used to hot Aprils, but not this hot! Updated: Apr-27-16 6:53 am
BANGKOK - Animals at Bangkok's zoo are being fed special frozen fruit pops. People are flocking to shopping malls just to soak up the air-conditioning. Authorities are telling people to stay out of the blazing sun to avoid heat stroke.
- New York bakery recalls some 7-Eleven cookies over peanuts Updated: Apr-26-16 4:54 pm
BOHEMIA, New York - A suburban New York bakery has recalled several lots of cookies sold at 7-Eleven stores across the state because they may contain undeclared peanuts.