- Data breach affects 91,000 Washington Medicaid clients Updated: Feb-09-16 5:19 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - State officials say a data breach has affected 91,000 Washington Medicaid clients.
- UK lawmakers say proposed spy law fails to protect privacy Updated: Feb-09-16 7:26 am
LONDON - British government plans to strengthen spies' powers to snoop on the Internet are muddled and don't do enough to protect privacy, lawmakers responsible for scrutinizing the country's intelligence agencies said Tuesday.
- Cyberattack disrupts instruction at Oxford School District Updated: Feb-09-16 6:59 am
OXFORD, Mississippi - A cyberattack by an unknown hacker has forced a school district to shut down all of its servers.
- Up to speed: Website to help expand NC high-speed internet Updated: Feb-09-16 4:16 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A new state website is designed to help expand high-speed internet access for underserved communities in North Carolina.
- Lead-Deadwood High School seeing growth in robotics classes Updated: Feb-09-16 2:20 am
LEAD, South Dakota - The Robotics craze is catching on at Lead-Deadwood High School.
- Lynch: No outside influence on FBI probe into Clinton emails Updated: Feb-08-16 9:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Attorney General Loretta Lynch is reaffirming that the FBI's probe into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while secretary of state is free of outside political influence.
- TV producers may start making you wait for new shows online Updated: Feb-08-16 6:18 pm
NEW YORK - The Golden Age of Online Television may be in peril.
- An icky new hero: Roach-like robots may help in disasters Updated: Feb-08-16 5:07 pm
WASHINGTON - When buildings collapse in future disasters, the hero helping rescue trapped people may be a robotic cockroach.
- Over $570M to be used for faster Internet in rural Wisconsin Updated: Feb-08-16 3:27 pm
MILWAUKEE - More than $570 million in government subsidies will be used to bring faster Internet service to rural Wisconsin.
- India Internet ruling blocks Facebook 'Free Basics' program Updated: Feb-08-16 3:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - India's government has essentially banned a Facebook program that sought to connect with low-income residents by offering free access to a limited version of the social network and other Internet services.
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Feb-08-16 1:41 pm
The Free Press of Mankato, Feb. 7
- Insider Q&A: Competing with cable's Internet offerings Updated: Feb-07-16 2:15 pm
NEW YORK - Chet Kanojia, the founder of startup TV service Aereo, has a new offering that could shake up the cable industry again. His new Internet service, Starry, would compete with cable companies in big cities.
- App launched with uniquely African emojis Updated: Feb-06-16 10:59 am
JOHANNESBURG - App developers have launched a series of uniquely African emojis of characters dressed in colorful traditional attire using popular local expressions and gestures.
- Houston police announce high-tech crime mapping tools Updated: Feb-05-16 12:17 pm
HOUSTON - Houston police are using online technology to make it easier for concerned citizens to track reported crimes in their neighborhoods.
- FCC chair to discuss broadband opportunities in eastern Ky. Updated: Feb-05-16 4:35 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The head of the Federal Communications Commission plans to travel to eastern Kentucky to discuss broadband-based economic opportunities.
- Chinese using carpooling apps to get ride home for holidays Updated: Feb-05-16 3:10 am
SHANGHAI - The hundreds of millions of Chinese heading home for Lunar New Year have a relatively new travel option this year: mobile apps to find carpool partners to share costs in what is a novel concept for most Chinese.
- Skvarla pitches broadband, crowdfunding, venture capital Updated: Feb-04-16 6:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's commerce secretary says rural and small-town economies won't grow without access to high-speed Internet.
- Senators grill personnel office nominee over data hack Updated: Feb-04-16 2:48 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's nominee to head the Office of Personnel Management on Thursday promised to strengthen the agency's cybersecurity and information technology systems after what's believed to be the largest data breach in U.S. history.
- Officials warned of water, Legionnaires' link Updated: Feb-04-16 2:15 pm
LANSING, Michigan - High-ranking officials in Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder's administration were aware of a surge in Legionnaires' disease potentially linked to Flint's water long before the governor reported the increase to the public last month, internal emails show.
- UCF hit by data breach involving Social Security numbers Updated: Feb-04-16 11:35 am
ORLANDO, Florida - The University of Central Florida says a hacker has gained access to 63,000 Social Security numbers belonging to former and current students and workers.
- Bill would help expand broadband in rural Maine Updated: Feb-04-16 5:05 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A proposal in the Maine Legislature would send $1 million to the state agency that oversees the expansion of broadband.
- Cisco to buy Jasper in move into 'Internet of Things' Updated: Feb-03-16 7:54 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Cisco Systems Inc. is buying Jasper Technologies for $1.4 billion in cash in a move to help its customers connect, automate and manage billions of Internet-connected devices ranging from cars to jet engines to implanted pacemakers.
- Rural broadband supporters call for change in Tennessee law Updated: Feb-03-16 7:30 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Rural lawmakers on Wednesday compared the dearth of broadband connections in their areas to being bypassed by electrification more than 80 years ago.
- Comcast loses fewest TV customers in 8 years Updated: Feb-03-16 2:23 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast is trumpeting its best year for traditional TV services in nearly a decade, even though it continues to lose TV subscribers.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night: