- Philippines' Duterte apologizes to Trudeau over beheading Updated: May-26-16 1:39 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' presumptive president-elect said Thursday he apologized to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over the beheading by Muslim militants of a Canadian hostage in the southern province of Sulu.
- California cabbie kidnapped by escaped inmates sues county Updated: May-24-16 12:22 pm
SANTA ANA, California - The California taxi driver who was kidnapped and held hostage for a week by three inmates who escaped from jail is suing the county and the sheriff's department.
- Police: Hostages in deadly Sydney siege appeared 'jovial' Updated: May-23-16 10:00 am
SYDNEY - A police official described a group of people being held hostage by a gunman inside a Sydney cafe during a 16-hour ordeal as "jovial," a police commander told an inquest into the deadly siege on Monday.
- Former missionary recalls hostage experience 15 years later Updated: May-23-16 9:04 am
ROSE HILL, Kansas - A former missionary held hostage for more than a year is recalling the experience as the 15-year anniversary of her abduction approaches.
- Federal suit: Police covered-up Hofstra student's killing Updated: May-19-16 6:31 am
CENTRAL ISLIP, New York - The family of a Hofstra University student killed in an off-campus police shooting during an armed home invasion has filed a federal lawsuit against the county and numerous police officials.
- FBI said Sydney gunman prone to violence years before siege Updated: May-18-16 10:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Five years before he held 18 people hostage inside a Sydney cafe, Iranian-born Man Haron Monis attracted the attention of the FBI as someone who had "the potential to incite others to violence," according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- Man accused of holding family hostage for 3 months Updated: May-17-16 6:18 pm
DAVENPORT, Florida - A Florida man is accused of holding a family hostage for three months.
- August trial for man accused of motorcycle shop standoff Updated: May-16-16 12:04 pm
NEENAH, Wisconsin - The man accused of taking hostages and exchanging gunfire with police at a Neenah motorcycle shop will stand trial in August.
- Danish newspaper to pay damages to 2 kidnapped seamen Updated: May-13-16 9:37 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - A Danish court has ordered the tabloid Ekstra Bladet to pay 300,000 kroner ($46,000) each in damages to two seamen who were taken hostage in Somalia.
- Review: Clooney gets a conscience in 'Money Monster' Updated: May-12-16 6:42 am
George Clooney plays a Jim Cramer-like television personality who's forced to grow a conscience when a disgruntled viewer holds him hostage on live TV in "Money Monster," a serviceable, if slight, real time thriller from director Jodie Foster.
- Indonesia: 4 citizens held hostage in Philippines released Updated: May-11-16 6:44 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's president said Wednesday that four citizens held hostage for nearly a month in the southern Philippines have been released.
- Aid worker abducted in Yemen last year is French-Tunisian Updated: May-07-16 11:40 am
PARIS - France's foreign affairs ministry says that a woman working for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) who was abducted last December in Yemen is a French-Tunisian.
- Filipino militants threaten 3 hostages after beheading 1 Updated: May-03-16 3:45 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Muslim militants have threatened to kill three more hostages in their jungle base in the southern Philippines more than a week after beheading a Canadian man when their multi-million dollar ransom demands were not met.
- Militants free 10 Indonesian hostages in south Philippines Updated: May-01-16 8:55 am
MANILA, Philippines - Abu Sayyaf militants have freed 10 Indonesian crewmen who were seized at sea in March in the first of three attacks on tugboats that have sparked a regional maritime security alarm, officials said Sunday.
- Captive-born wolf pups released into wild den in New Mexico Updated: Apr-30-16 5:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Federal wildlife officials say they have, for the first time, successfully integrated wolf pups raised in captivity with a wild litter in New Mexico.
- Australian believed to have been kidnapped in Afghanistan Updated: Apr-29-16 1:00 am
SYDNEY - An Australian aid worker is believed to have been kidnapped in Afghanistan, Australian officials said on Friday, as her father issued a plea for her safe return.
- Brother takes Colombian politician's place as rebel hostage Updated: Apr-28-16 7:54 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - When leftist rebels earlier this month freed a former governor held captive more than two years, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed the release as a hopeful sign that the National Liberation Army had finally sworn off kidnapping as peace talks with the group were getting under way.
- After hostage beheading, is Philippines facing IS threat? Updated: Apr-28-16 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - Months before Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded retired Canadian mining executive John Ridsdel in the tropical jungles of the southern Philippines, they showed him pleading for life in a video with three other hostages that demanded a record-high ransom.