- Kentucky House Democrats opposed to governor's spending cuts Updated: Feb-02-16 5:24 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - House Democrats said Tuesday they likely will not approve $650 million worth of state spending cuts proposed by Republican Gov. Matt Bevin, setting up a budget battle one month ahead of four special elections that could shift the balance of power in the legislature.
- Special election called after Maine senator resigns Updated: Feb-02-16 4:52 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A special election will be held March 29 to fill the seat vacated by Sen. David Dutremble.
- Ouachita Parish Police Jury backs tax item for April ballot Updated: Feb-02-16 8:15 am
MONROE, Louisiana - The Ouachita Parish Police Jury has voted to approve two resolutions that will place a tax proposal in a special election April 9.
- Republican House member decides not to seek re-election Updated: Feb-01-16 3:56 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State Rep. David Floyd said Monday he will not seek re-election this year, giving Republicans another seat to defend in trying to claim control of the Kentucky House and complete their takeover of the General Assembly.
- Special election announced to recall North Slope mayor Updated: Jan-28-16 5:09 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - North Slope officials have called for a special election to recall Mayor Charlotte Brower after residents successfully gathered enough signatures on a petition.
- Bryant sets state Senate special election for March 8 Updated: Jan-22-16 6:26 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A special election to fill a state Senate seat in parts of Madison and Hinds County is set for March 8.
- Bryant names Madison state senator to county court judgeship Updated: Jan-19-16 8:57 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A special state Senate election is coming after Gov. Phil Bryant named state Sen. Will Longwitz, a Madison Republican, to a county court judgeship in Madison County.
- Special election May 7 will replace Turner in House Updated: Jan-15-16 6:05 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Gov. Greg Abbott has set an emergency special election for May 7 to fill the vacant Texas House District 139 seat.
- Democrats capture second seat in Oklahoma Legislature Updated: Jan-13-16 6:57 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - For the first time in more than a decade, Democrats are gaining seats in the Oklahoma House and Senate.
- Abeler advances in special Senate election Updated: Jan-13-16 8:03 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Former Republican state Rep. Jim Abeler has won his party's nomination for an open Senate seat.
- Democratic teacher elected to vacant state Senate seat Updated: Jan-12-16 10:03 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A Democratic teacher has won a special election for an Oklahoma state Senate seat vacated by a lawmaker who pleaded guilty to embezzlement.
- Democrats apparently thwart GOP plan to pick off members Updated: Jan-11-16 6:27 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Democrats appear to have thwarted a Republican plan to pick off at least one of their members as the two parties continued to struggle for power in the last legislative chamber in the South still controlled by Democrats.
- Massachusetts Senate picks dates to fill 2 vacant seats Updated: Jan-09-16 4:00 pm
BOSTON - The state Senate is calling special elections to fill the seats of two recently departed lawmakers.
- Candidates qualify for Mississippi US House races Updated: Jan-08-16 7:42 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - All four of Mississippi's U.S. House members will face at least one challenger this year, although none attracted an opponent who's expected to bring a large campaign fund or widespread name recognition.
- Bevin promises spending cuts while GOP leader hints change Updated: Jan-07-16 9:48 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin warned of steep spending cuts Thursday while the state House Republican leader gave a mysterious warning that Monday could be "an historic day" in the only legislative chamber in the South still controlled by Democrats.
- Republican wins District 11 Senate seat in Rhode Island Updated: Jan-07-16 12:36 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's District 11 Senate seat has been won by a Republican.
- Missouri Legislature starts session under new leadership Updated: Jan-06-16 7:41 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers opened the 2016 session under new leadership Wednesday and saw a relatively quiet start after a tumultuous end to last year's session.
- Pennington County voters reject wheel tax for road repairs Updated: Jan-06-16 12:57 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Pennington County voters have rejected a proposed wheel tax to fund road and bridge repairs.
- Special elections set for Pennsylvania Legislature vacancies Updated: Jan-06-16 11:43 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Special elections are now scheduled to fill four open seats in the Pennsylvania Legislature.