- Colorado marijuana sales total close to $1 billion in 2015 Updated: Feb-10-16 12:03 am
DENVER - New state data shows that Colorado marijuana businesses sold nearly $1 billion in recreational and medical cannabis last year.
- Australia commits to legal growing of medicinal marijuana Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian lawmakers committed on Wednesday to legalize the growing of marijuana for medical use within a part of the world renowned for zero-tolerance and harsh penalties for illegal drugs.
- House panel OKs bill restoring children's health insurance Updated: Feb-09-16 7:50 pm
PHOENIX - A bill to provide health insurance for thousands of Arizona children cleared a hurdle Tuesday as lawmakers unanimously passed a measure to lift the temporary freeze on a program restoring coverage to low-income kids.
- Kansas Senate advances bill to decrease Medicaid drug costs Updated: Feb-09-16 6:36 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill designed to cut Kansas' costs in providing prescription drugs for poor and disabled residents has received first-round approval in the state Senate.
- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- FDA panel backs lower-cost version of J&J's top-selling drug Updated: Feb-09-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health advisers on Tuesday endorsed a lower-cost version of Johnson & Johnson's blockbuster Remicade, a pricey biotech medicine used to treat a number of inflammatory diseases.
- UAW adds to unfair labor practices allegations at Volkswagen Updated: Feb-09-16 5:43 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The United Auto Workers alleges that Volkswagen has failed to consult with a newly elected maintenance workers union on a range of issues from vending machine prices to out-of-pocket prescription drug costs despite a union victory at the plant in December.
- Olson enters race for Minnesota House Updated: Feb-09-16 11:49 am
DULUTH, Minnesota - DFL'er Liz Olson is the first candidate to enter the race for the Minnesota House District 7B seat.
- CVS meets 4Q profit forecasts, reaffirms 2016 outlook Updated: Feb-09-16 11:47 am
Acquisitions helped CVS Health's fourth-quarter profit climb 13 percent, and leaders of the drugstore operator and pharmacy benefits manager said Tuesday that they expect to reap more gains from their deal making later this year.
- Gov't report: 8 states had significant drop in uninsured Updated: Feb-09-16 10:05 am
WASHINGTON - Eight states saw a significant drop last year in the number of residents going without health insurance, according to a government report out Tuesday that has implications for the presidential campaign.
- Facebook restores page for medical marijuana dispensary Updated: Feb-08-16 6:41 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Facebook has restored the business page of one of three New Jersey medical marijuana dispensaries it shut down last week for violating the social media company's policy against promoting the sale of drugs.
- Enrollment rises for Montana health insurance exchange Updated: Feb-08-16 6:19 pm
HELENA, Montana - More Montanans are getting medical coverage through the federal health insurance marketplace.
- Pro-abortion advocates hold reproductive health care rally Updated: Feb-08-16 4:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Abortion rights organizations, students and Kansas House members are rallying against legislation banning access to reproductive health care.
- Senate leader: Utah medical pot plan may not be dead Updated: Feb-08-16 3:14 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The president of the Utah state Senate says a bill allowing the medical use of edible pot products may not be dead on arrival just because the Mormon church opposes it.
- Johns Hopkins approved for HIV-positive organ transplants Updated: Feb-08-16 2:45 pm
BALTIMORE - Johns Hopkins Medicine has recently received approval to perform organ transplants between HIV-positive donors and recipients.
- Correction: Medical Marijuana-Woody Harrelson story Updated: Feb-08-16 1:57 pm
HONOLULU - In a story Feb. 5 about actor Woody Harrelson applying for a medical marijuana license in Hawaii, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of another business seeking a medical marijuana dispensary license. It is Blue Planet Healing, not Blue Planet Foundation.
- Former Seattle IRS agent to face trial on bribery charge Updated: Feb-07-16 2:38 pm
SEATTLE - A former IRS agent in Seattle is set to face trial this week on accusations that he solicited and received a $20,000 bribe from a medical marijuana dispensary.
- Nebraska fund would clarify financial onus of rape kit exams Updated: Feb-07-16 12:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Some Nebraska survivors of sexual assaults mistakenly receive statements for costs of medical exams, despite state and federal law prohibiting it, advocates say.
- Mormon church comes out against Utah medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-06-16 11:11 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Mormon church has come out against a Utah bill that would allow the medical use of edible pot products, a position that could be a serious blow to one of two medical marijuana proposals before state lawmakers.
- Budget bill considered in New Mexico Legislature Updated: Feb-06-16 6:38 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's Republican-led House of Representatives voted to approve a $6.3 billion budget that increases spending on Medicaid health care, early childhood education and prisons while cutting funding to state colleges and universities.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Nurseries request cultivation authorization in Florida Updated: Feb-06-16 10:48 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The nurseries selected to cultivate and distribute the first medical marijuana in Florida have requested cultivation authorization.
- Bigfork husband donates kidney to wife Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
KALISPELL, Montana - Tyson Niewoehner simply smiles when asked how he and his wife, Shelley, will celebrate Valentine's Day this year.
- More than 84,000 Mainers sign up for health coverage Updated: Feb-05-16 3:25 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - The U.S. Department of health and Human Services says more than 84,000 Mainers signed up for health insurance for this year under the Affordable Care Act.
- Congress unites in scorn for Shkreli, but gridlock remains Updated: Feb-05-16 2:59 pm
WASHINGTON - A smirking Martin Shkreli briefly united Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill this week, as lawmakers took turns blasting the price-hiking former CEO who has become the new poster child for corporate greed.