- Fire chaplain marries couple at site of NYC crane collapse Updated: Feb-05-16 10:30 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City fire chaplain who responded to a crane collapse in Manhattan found herself helping in a way she never expected - performing an impromptu wedding ceremony.
- Judge's order strikes down Nebraska ban on gay marriage Updated: Feb-05-16 2:58 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A federal judge has issued a permanent injunction striking down Nebraska's now-negated constitutional ban on gay marriage and civil unions.
- Senate considers bill protecting same-sex marriage objectors Updated: Feb-01-16 3:11 pm
ATLANTA - A powerful Georgia Senate committee discussed but took no action Monday on a contentious bill allowing religious adoption agencies, schools, government workers and others to refuse services to same-sex couples without being penalized.
- Italian gay rights debate prompts rethink of sacred family Updated: Jan-27-16 5:47 am
ROME - In Italy, family is considered so sacred that marriage is lauded in the Constitution. But what kind of family?
- Idaho House panel votes to match state tax code with IRS Updated: Jan-25-16 4:57 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho House Revenue and Taxation Committee voted Monday to bring the state's tax code in line with federal rules, a move that's estimated to cost Idaho roughly $46 million over two years.
- Portugal's president blocks laws on gay adoption, abortion Updated: Jan-25-16 8:23 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's president has vetoed bills recently passed by Parliament that granted full adoption rights to same-sex couples and removed abortion restrictions.
- Bill would toss adoption preference for heterosexual couples Updated: Jan-23-16 10:09 pm
PHOENIX - Democrats in the Arizona Legislature want a law that requires judges to give preferences to married heterosexual couples in adoption stricken from the books.
- Italians protest to urge govt to grant gay civil unions Updated: Jan-23-16 2:33 pm
ROME - Tens of thousands of people demonstrated Saturday in nearly 100 cities across Italy to urge the government to permit gay and lesbian couples to have civil unions and legally recognized families.
- Bill would toss adoption preference for heterosexual couples Updated: Jan-23-16 1:57 pm
PHOENIX - Democrats in the Arizona Legislature want a law giving preferences to married heterosexual couples in adoptions stricken from the books.
- Marietta couple celebrates 50 years of devotion Updated: Jan-23-16 12:12 pm
MARIETTA, Georgia - They were childhood friends who went on to become high school sweethearts, and on Jan. 9, Parker and Alfreda Hill celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony.
- GOP lawmakers want exemptions for gay marriage opponents Updated: Jan-22-16 11:58 am
ATLANTA - Months after the Supreme Court effectively legalized same-sex marriage, lawmakers across the U.S. are pushing bills that would give businesses and some public employees the right to refuse serving gay couples because of their religious beliefs.
- Anglicans sanction US Episcopal Church over gay marriage Updated: Jan-14-16 6:52 pm
NEW YORK - Anglican leaders on Thursday temporarily restricted the role of the U.S. Episcopal Church in their global fellowship as a sanction over the American church's acceptance of gay marriage.
- Bill would let clerks deny marriage licenses to gay couples Updated: Jan-11-16 3:06 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - After a county clerk in Kentucky spent five days in jail last year for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, a Republican lawmaker in Virginia is pushing legislation aimed at protecting local elected officials who object to certain marriages on moral or religious grounds.
- Mormon leader: Policy against gay marriage was word from God Updated: Jan-11-16 2:06 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A high-ranking Mormon leader says the church policy against same-sex marriage was a revelation from God.
- Anglican leader hopes meeting can avoid homosexuality split Updated: Jan-11-16 1:00 pm
LONDON - Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby said Monday he hoped this week's meeting of world Anglican leaders could avoid a split over homosexuality in the worldwide fellowship and lead to "finding ways to disagree well."
- Reno jeweler's commercial features same-sex couple Updated: Jan-09-16 6:34 pm
RENO, Nevada - A Reno commercial depicting two women getting engaged has been playing on local TV stations and in movie theaters and drawing little backlash, according to the jeweler who sought the advertisement.