- Young Micronesian soccer side overwhelmed at Pacific Games Updated: Jul-07-15 10:05 pm
The players were mostly teenagers, many of them away from their villages in the Federated States of Micronesia for the first time. And as it turned out, on the steepest of learning curves in the Pacific Games soccer tournament in Papua New Guinea.
- Brazil still trying to regroup a year after 7-1 loss Updated: Jul-07-15 9:59 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil is still trying to regroup a year after its worst loss ever.
- Steven Gerrard eager for sunny new challenges with LA Galaxy Updated: Jul-07-15 7:33 pm
CARSON, California - Steven Gerrard brought a touch of Liverpool weather - cool, overcast and even some drizzle - to his first practice with the LA Galaxy on Tuesday morning.
- Alves: Guardiola wanted to coach Brazil's national team Updated: Jul-07-15 3:54 pm
SAO PAULO - Pep Guardiola wanted to coach Brazil at last year's World Cup but local football officials were afraid that fans wouldn't like having a foreign coach in charge of the national team, Barcelona defender Daniel Alves said Tuesday.
- Prosecutor requests match-fixing trial for Italy coach Conte Updated: Jul-07-15 12:33 pm
ROME - Italy coach Antonio Conte was among 104 people whom a prosecutor requested Tuesday be brought to trial on match-fixing charges in a wide-ranging case that allegedly has its roots in Singapore.
- Vanuatu wins 46-0 in Pacific Games football tournament Updated: Jul-07-15 1:18 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Vanuatu beat the Federated States of Micronesia by the extraordinary score of 46-0 in their Olympic qualifying football match at the Pacific Games in Papua New Guinea on Tuesday.
- LA Galaxy midfielder Stefan Ishizaki heads home to Sweden Updated: Jul-06-15 7:14 pm
CARSON, California - LA Galaxy midfielder Stefan Ishizaki intends to sign with a team in his native Sweden after mutually parting ways with the MLS club.
- World Cup moments distanced women from FIFA scandal Updated: Jul-06-15 5:32 pm
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - For a few moments over the past month, the Women's World Cup seemed to push aside the FIFA scandal that is simmering a half planet away.
- Barcelona signs Arda Turan from Atletico Updated: Jul-06-15 4:26 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona has secured attacking midfielder Arda Turan from fellow Spanish club Atletico Madrid.
- Yemen forfeits World Cup qualifier for ineligible player Updated: Jul-06-15 3:20 pm
ZURICH - FIFA has ordered Yemen to forfeit a World Cup qualifying match for fielding a player who was technically banned.
- After McIlroy soccer mishap, other freak athlete injuries Updated: Jul-06-15 3:08 pm
It was playing soccer and not golf that left Rory McIlroy with a ruptured ligament in his right ankle.
- FIFA bans former 2018-2022 WCup inspector for 7 years Updated: Jul-06-15 2:32 pm
GENEVA - The official chosen by FIFA to inspect 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting candidates was banned from soccer for seven years on Monday for breaking ethics rules.
- American forward Bobby Wood joins Union Berlin Updated: Jul-06-15 1:46 pm
BERLIN - American forward Bobby Wood has joined Union Berlin from German second division rival 1860 Munich.
- Juventus president: Tevez transfer to Boca nearly complete Updated: Jul-06-15 1:23 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus president Andrea Agnelli has indicated that Carlos Tevez's expected transfer to Boca Juniors will be completed in "a few days."
- CONCACAF details rebuilding plans after FIFA bribery scandal Updated: Jul-06-15 1:11 pm
GENEVA - Plunged into crisis by a second FIFA bribery scandal in four years, the CONCACAF soccer body wants to pass sweeping new leadership rules to help rebuild.
- Poll: Russians losing interest in soccer ahead of World Cup Updated: Jul-06-15 12:57 pm
MOSCOW - Even as Russia prepares to host the 2018 World Cup, football's popularity there is plummeting to record levels.
- Juventus extends Allegri's contract through 2017 Updated: Jul-06-15 12:21 pm
TURIN, Italy - A month after guiding Juventus to an unexpected spot in the Champions League final, coach Massimiliano Allegri has had his contract with Juventus extended through 2017.
- Valencia signs midfielder Bakkali from PSV Updated: Jul-06-15 12:03 pm
VALENCIA, Spain - Valencia says it has signed Belgian midfielder Zakari Bakkali from Dutch side PSV Eindhoven.
- Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo joins New York from Juventus Updated: Jul-06-15 11:42 am
NEW YORK - Star midfielder Andrea Pirlo joined Major League Soccer's New York City FC from Juventus on Monday, a little more than a month after winning a fifth consecutive Italian league title.
- City celebrates 3 Chicago players on US World Cup team Updated: Jul-06-15 10:00 am
CHICAGO - Three Chicago Red Stars players are on the U.S. women's soccer team that won the World Cup and the city is celebrating.
- Fenerbahce signs Nani from Manchester United Updated: Jul-06-15 8:47 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Fenerbahce says it has reached an agreement with Manchester United to sign Portugal winger Luis Nani on a three-year contract.
- Carli Lloyd becomes Captain America for US women Updated: Jul-06-15 3:08 am
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - For a brief time Sunday night, Carli Lloyd's Wikipedia page listed her position as "President of the United States."
- Jewsbury scores in stoppage time as Timbers beat Earthquakes Updated: Jul-06-15 2:23 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - During their recent run of success, the Portland Timbers have talked about how important it has been to get contributions from everyone on the team.
- Jewsbury scores in stoppage time as Timbers beat Earthquakes Updated: Jul-06-15 1:44 am
- Japan emotional after World Cup loss Updated: Jul-06-15 12:32 am
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Japan clearly was not ready for Carli Lloyd.