- Ray Essick, 1st executive director of USA Swimming, dies Updated: May-23-16 1:46 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Ray Essick, the first executive director of USA Swimming, has died. He was 82.
- Poised for stardom in Rio, Ledecky shies away from spotlight Updated: May-23-16 2:19 am
NORTH BETHESDA, Maryland - When an athlete is poised to become a huge Olympic star, it's only natural to wonder what might come next.
- Efimova's provisional doping ban lifted by FINA Updated: May-22-16 9:17 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Four-time world champion Yulia Efimova has had her provisional doping suspension lifted by swimming's governing body.
- US drops Puerto Rico swim training over Zika Updated: May-20-16 9:46 am
ATLANTA - USA Swimming has moved a pre-Olympic training camp out of Puerto Rico because of the Zika virus.
- When weird things happen, Olympians rely on mental training Updated: May-20-16 2:28 am
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The divers were warming up, getting ready for the biggest moment in their lives when, out of nowhere, a man in a blue tutu rushed to the ladder, ran to the edge of the board and swan-dived into the pool.
- Olympic hopes dashed for former Russian swimmer Vyatchanin Updated: May-19-16 10:04 am
Two-time Olympic medalist Arkady Vyatchanin has given up on his bid to swim at the Rio Games after FINA denied his request to represent Serbia.
- Thorpe: retesting of doping samples like solving old crimes Updated: May-18-16 7:15 pm
SYDNEY - Five-time Olympic swimming champion Ian Thorpe says retesting of doping samples from previous games is a "good thing" and compared it with the solving of cold-case crimes.
- Ludacris, Hilson, Michael join effort to teach kids to swim Updated: May-18-16 7:00 pm
ATLANTA - When Chris Bridges - better known to his fans as the rapper Ludacris - was growing up, his mother made sure he knew how to swim.
- Clemson's Seth Beer gaining attention with stellar season Updated: May-18-16 2:55 pm
CLEMSON, South Carolina - Forget the long home runs, the walk-off hits or Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson Tweeting in amazement about outfielder Seth Beer's stellar freshman season. Beer's father said his son's most eye-popping moment came as an 8-year-old when he deftly swiped a loose tooth from younger sister Savannah's mouth.
- Brazil bans Australian swim coach charged with sexual abuse Updated: May-18-16 12:08 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian Olympic Committee says an Australian swim coach, who faced sexual abuse charges in the 1980s, will not be a member of the host country's staff for the games.
- Thunder's Steven Adams apologizes for 'monkeys' comment Updated: May-17-16 5:37 pm
OAKLAND, California - Oklahoma City center Steven Adams understands that he has to live with the fallout of using a derogatory term to describe Golden State's guards.
- Paris council approves 43 proposals as part of Olympic bid Updated: May-17-16 12:10 pm
PARIS - The Paris city council has approved a series of proposals aimed at transforming the French capital as part of its bid to host the 2024 Olympics.
- SKorean Olympic chief hopes to see banned swimmer in Rio Updated: May-17-16 7:35 am
SEOUL, South Korea - The head of the South Korean Olympic Committee personally hopes to see former Olympic swimming champion Park Tae-hwan compete at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro despite his exclusion from the national team following a doping suspension.
- Ledecky settles for 3rd in 100 free at Atlanta Classic Updated: May-15-16 9:45 pm
ATLANTA - After a pair of dominating wins, Katie Ledecky finally met her match at the Atlanta Classic.
- Lochte dominates field to win 200 IM at Arena Pro Series Updated: May-15-16 8:40 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Ryan Lochte might have found something more difficult than preparing for the U.S. Olympic swimming trials - like helping Pittsburgh Steelers running back DeAngelo Williams learn how to swim.
- Lochte dominates in men's 400 IM at Arena Pro Swim meet Updated: May-13-16 8:36 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Ryan Lochte has been feeling a little tired lately, what with all the training he's putting in for the U.S. Olympic Trials.
- Member of Kansas swim team sues over bus attack Updated: May-13-16 3:11 pm
ELLSWORTH, Kansas - The mother of a Kansas high schooler who says he was sexually assaulted by members of the swim team on a bus after a competition alleges in a lawsuit that he needs therapy and has stopped attending the school.
- Lochte having too much fun right now to think about retiring Updated: May-12-16 6:18 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Ryan Lochte is having too much fun preparing for Rio Games in three months to even think about competing in his fifth Olympics in 2020.
- Polish swimmer Zawadka banned for 4 years for positive test Updated: May-11-16 3:38 am
SYDNEY - The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority says Polish breaststroker Michal Zawadka has been suspended for four years for a positive test during the New South Wales short-course swimming championships last November.
- Michael Phelps jumps into gene pool, becomes 1st-time father Updated: May-07-16 4:22 pm
Michael Phelps is a first-time father.
- Slain Navy SEAL took lessons from running track into combat Updated: May-04-16 7:04 pm
PHOENIX - In cross-country running, your team is only as fast as your slowest athlete. Slain Navy SEAL Charlie Keating IV took that to heart in his youth as a track star, turning around to cheer on his teammates after he crossed the finish line.
- Snowfox and Seals swim teams of Sioux Falls merge into 1 Updated: May-04-16 9:08 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Sioux Falls' top swim teams are combining into one.
- USA Swimming bans former Harvard, Fordham coach for life Updated: May-03-16 4:36 pm
BOSTON - Former Harvard and Fordham swim instructor Joe Bernal has been banned from coaching for life by USA Swimming, which says he violated sexual misconduct policies adopted to protect athletes.
- Phelps skipping Atlanta meet while awaiting birth of child Updated: May-03-16 9:41 am
ATLANTA - Awaiting the birth of his first child, Michael Phelps has decided to skip an Olympic prep meet in Atlanta next week.
- Paralympic swimmer disqualified over Olympic rings tattoo Updated: May-02-16 3:21 pm
MADEIRA, Portugal - Paralympic swimming champion Josef Craig was disqualified from a race at the IPC European Championships for failing to cover up a tattoo of the Olympic rings.