- Cherokee Nation councilor candidates headed to runoff Updated: Jul-03-15 6:58 pm
TAHLEQUAH, Oklahoma - A recount supervised by the Cherokee Nation Supreme Court has finalized the candidates in a runoff election.
- Japan's Hagino pulls out of swim worlds with injured elbow Updated: Jul-03-15 4:18 am
TOKYO - World champion Kosuke Hagino of Japan will not compete at the swimming worlds after breaking his right elbow in training.
- Harvard athlete among 1st openly transgender NCAA swimmers Updated: Jun-30-15 3:45 pm
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - Schuyler Bailar was a star recruit for the women's swimming team at Harvard University, a tough competitor with a shot at winning titles. But Bailar is opting to forgo such honors to join the men's team instead, competing as one of the first openly transgender swimmers in the NCAA.
- Cal swimmer Missy Franklin wins Honda Cup Updated: Jun-30-15 1:06 am
LOS ANGELES - California swimmer Missy Franklin won the Honda Cup as the nation's top female college athlete Monday night.
- Dara Torres back in Omaha, where her long swim career ended Updated: Jun-29-15 4:14 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Dara Torres showed up at the CenturyLink Center on Monday to promote the 2016 U.S. Olympic Swim Trials.
- European Games come to a close in Azerbaijan Updated: Jun-28-15 2:51 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Just as the inaugural European Games have sought to establish themselves on the global sporting calendar, so host nation Azerbaijan has used the event to make its mark on the world stage.
- Spurs take Serbian C Milutinov at No. 26 in draft Updated: Jun-26-15 12:56 am
SAN ANTONIO - Eighteen years to the day after selecting Tim Duncan, the San Antonio Spurs chose another former swimmer in the first round of the NBA draft.
- Michelle Obama to open 2015 Special Olympics in Los Angeles Updated: Jun-25-15 2:44 pm
LOS ANGELES - First lady Michelle Obama will travel to Los Angeles next month to kick off the Special Olympics World Games, organizers announced Thursday.
- Disabled athletes can compete in swimming, track in Illinois Updated: Jun-24-15 4:48 pm
CHICAGO - Disabled prep student athletes will be given full opportunities to compete in certain sports under a settlement with the Illinois High School Association that Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan announced Wednesday.
- At European Games, athletics attracts a motley crew Updated: Jun-22-15 1:36 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - With a vast, brand new stadium and passionate home crowds, European Games athletics offers a near-Olympic experience. There's just one thing missing - the Olympic athletes.
- Michael Phelps wins 200 individual medley at Santa Clara Updated: Jun-21-15 10:44 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps took charge of the men's 200 individual medley and raced to an impressive victory, his second win of the Arena Pro Series on Sunday night.
- Coughlin sets American record in the 50 back Updated: Jun-19-15 11:30 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Natalie Coughlin chatted with teammates and helped one of them fix her starting block. Then the Olympic gold medalist set an American and U.S. Open record in winning the 50-meter backstroke at the Arena Pro Series on Friday.
- World swimming champs to cost $55m, Russia says Updated: Jun-19-15 7:47 am
Russia says hosting the world aquatics championships in Kazan next month will cost around $55 million.
- Olympian Missy Franklin signs deal with Speedo Updated: Jun-18-15 11:41 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin used opening day of the Arena Pro Swim Series on Thursday to announce that she has signed a deal with Speedo, her first major sponsor since turning pro.
- Australian swimmer Palmer out of worlds after doping test Updated: Jun-18-15 5:03 am
SYDNEY - Kylie Palmer has withdrawn from the Australian swim team for next month's world championships in Kazan, Russia after testing positive for a banned substance at the Barcelona worlds in 2013.
- Austrian swimmers win medal after bus crash Updated: Jun-15-15 6:32 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Austria won a synchronized swimming silver medal at the European Games on Monday, just four days after three members of the team were injured when they were hit by a bus.
- Relay swimmer withdraws from Australian swim team Updated: Jun-13-15 7:28 pm
SYDNEY - Freestyle swimmer Brittany Elmslie has withdrawn from the Australian team for the world championships after undergoing surgery to a remove a benign growth in her breast three weeks ago.
- Correction: European Games-Opening Ceremony story Updated: Jun-13-15 12:02 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - In a story June 12 about the opening ceremony of the European Games, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev entered the stadium carrying a torch. The torchbearer was Ilham Zakiyev, a two-time Paralympic gold medal-winning judo athlete.
- IOC sanctions Ukrainian swimmer in London doping case Updated: Jun-12-15 1:41 pm
LONDON - A Ukrainian open water swimmer was disqualified from the 2012 London Olympics on Friday after testing positive for EPO in a reanalysis of her doping samples.
- European Games under pressure before opening ceremony Updated: Jun-11-15 5:29 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Even before their first opening ceremony, the European Games are struggling.
- Bill May to compete in synchro swimming at world meet Updated: Jun-10-15 5:37 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Bill May will join two women competing in the new mixed duet synchronized swimming event at the world championships in July.
- Police identify swimmer who died after Special Olympics race Updated: Jun-09-15 6:37 am
OCEAN CITY, Maryland - Authorities have identified a 48-year-old woman who died after competing in the Special Olympics Maryland's annual Summer Games at Towson University.