- NDSU softball team is preseason pick to win the Summit Updated: Feb-12-16 8:53 am
FARGO, North Dakota - The North Dakota State University softball team is the preseason favorite to win the Summit League.
- Vinci, Ivanovic reach St. Petersburg semis Updated: Feb-12-16 8:38 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Roberta Vinci survived a scare from Timea Babos of Hungary to reach the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy semifinals on Friday.
- Suter and Gut go 1-2 in downhill training; Vonn 5th Updated: Feb-12-16 8:07 am
CRANS MONTANA, Switzerland - Swiss skiers Fabienne Suter and Lara Gut went 1-2 in World Cup downhill training while overall leader Lindsey Vonn was fifth on Friday.
- FIFA candidate Sheikh Salman signs human rights pledge Updated: Feb-12-16 5:15 am
MIAMI - FIFA presidential candidate Sheikh Salman says he signed a pledge written by NGOs committing the governing body, if he leads it, to tackle human rights abuses and corruption.
- Williams beats Sevastova to reach semifinals of Taiwan Open Updated: Feb-12-16 3:00 am
KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan - Top-seeded Venus Williams beat Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia 7-5, 6-2 on Friday to advance to the semifinals of the Taiwan Open.
- Larsen leads New Zealand Women's Open, Lydia Ko 3 behind Updated: Feb-12-16 1:46 am
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand - Top-ranked Lydia Ko shot a 3-under 69 on Friday and was three shots off the lead and in a tie for fifth place after the first round of the New Zealand Women's Open.
- Illinois News Digest Updated: Feb-12-16 1:06 am
Good morning. Here's a look at how AP's general news coverage is shaping up in Illinois at 12 a.m. Questions about coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to the AP-Chicago bureau at 312-781-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Caryn Rousseau is staffing the desk. AP-Chicago News Editor Hugh Dellios can be reached at 312-920-3624 or email@example.com.
- No. 25 Tennessee women beat Vanderbilt 69-51 Updated: Feb-12-16 12:55 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - One word kept coming up over and over in Holly Warlick's post-game press conference - finish.
- McKendree coach Harry Statham reaches 1,100 victories Updated: Feb-12-16 12:50 am
LEBANON, Illinois - McKendree University coach Harry Statham reached 1,100 victories when his team erased a 19-point second-half deficit to beat Missouri S&T 108-105 in overtime Thursday night.
- Indiana News Digest Updated: Feb-12-16 12:00 am
Here's a look at AP's Indiana news coverage at 12 a.m.
- Canada women blank Guyana 5-0 to open Olympic qualifying Updated: Feb-11-16 11:40 pm
HOUSTON - Ashley Lawrence scored two of his three goals in a minute span in the second half, and Canada routed Guyana 5-0 on Thursday night to open the group stage of the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.
- No. 7 Ohio State blasts Iowa 98-81 for 8th straight win Updated: Feb-11-16 10:50 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - If there's been a knock on No. 7 Ohio State this season, it's that the Buckeyes can let inferior opponents hang around on the road.
- Mitchell's 22 lead No. 2 South Carolina to 86-71 win Updated: Feb-11-16 10:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The sting of losing to UConn hasn't disappeared. Dawn Staley, though, was happy to see No. 2 South Carolina get back on track with an 86-71 victory over No. 16 Florida on Thursday night.
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Updated: Feb-11-16 10:01 pm
ATLANTA - Keyona Hayes led a balanced attack with 16 points and No. 19 Miami held off Georgia Tech 58-55 on Thursday night despite missing three free throws in the closing seconds.
- No. 5 Maryland never trails in 73-59 win over Purdue Updated: Feb-11-16 9:57 pm
COLLEGE PARK, Maryland - Coming off a rare Big Ten loss, No. 5 Maryland couldn't wait to get back on the basketball court.
- No. 15 Texas A&M women hold off No. 11 Mississippi St 64-58 Updated: Feb-11-16 9:48 pm
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Courtney Williams had 22 points and Courtney Walker had 21 and No. 15 Texas A&M defeated No. 11 Mississippi State 64-58 on Thursday night.
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Updated: Feb-11-16 9:45 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - No. 10 Florida State rode an anybody-can-step-up philosophy to a deep postseason run last year.
- No. 12 Louisville women defeat Pittsburgh 84-61 Updated: Feb-11-16 9:17 pm
PITTSBURGH - Myisha Hines-Allen had a career-high 29 points, Cortnee Walton had a double-double and No. 12 Louisville rolled to an 84-61 win over Pittsburgh on Thursday night.
- Trinidad and Tobago rallies to beat Guatemala 2-1 Updated: Feb-11-16 9:13 pm
HOUSTON - Kennya Cordner and Tasha St. Louis scored within about four minutes in the second half to give Trinidad and Tobago a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Guatemala on Thursday night in a group stage match in the CONCACAF women's Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Updated: Feb-11-16 8:43 pm
EAST LANSING, Michigan - Teniya Page scored 20 points, including a tiebreaking basket with a minute remaining, and Penn State upset No. 17 Michigan State 65-61 on Thursday.
- Texas to let Baylor keep sex assault records private Updated: Feb-11-16 6:49 pm
DALLAS - Baylor University can keep private campus police records that detail sexual assaults committed by two former football players against students, according to an opinion issued this week by the Texas attorney general's office.
- LA Sparks re-sign 2-time WNBA MVP Candace Parker Updated: Feb-11-16 5:58 pm
LOS ANGELES - Two-time WNBA MVP Candace Parker is staying with the Los Angeles Sparks.
- Shaq, Yao, Iverson look to take next step to Hall of Fame Updated: Feb-11-16 4:59 pm
TORONTO - Shaquille O'Neal should be a lock. Yao Ming and Allen Iverson could join him.
- Norwegian wins opening event at World Cup biathlon in Maine Updated: Feb-11-16 4:00 pm
PRESQUE ISLE, Maine - A Norwegian with perfect 10-for-10 shooting has won the first event in the World Cup biathlon in northern Maine.
- Ex-Olympian to argue self-defense in domestic violence case Updated: Feb-11-16 3:20 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A lawyer for Olympic gold-medalist skier Picabo Street said Thursday that she was defending herself during a December fight with her father and will demand a jury trial on domestic violence and assault charges.