- FIFA ethics committee bans Jerome Valcke for 12 years Updated: Feb-12-16 2:00 pm
GENEVA - Jerome Valcke, Sepp Blatter's long-time right-hand man, was banned from all soccer-related activity for 12 years Friday for misconduct during his term as FIFA secretary general.
- Winter Youth Games offer chance for IOC-Norway conciliation Updated: Feb-12-16 1:36 pm
LILLEHAMMER, Norway - When Oslo pulled out of the bidding for the 2022 Winter Games, it seemed that the relationship between the Norwegian public and the International Olympic Committee had suffered lasting damage.
- Tennis corruption probe to take at least 1 year Updated: Feb-12-16 11:20 am
LONDON - The independent investigation into allegations of match-fixing and corruption in tennis will take at least a year, the sport's four governing bodies said Friday.
- FIFA candidate Sheikh Salman signs human rights pledge Updated: Feb-12-16 5:15 am
MIAMI - FIFA presidential candidate Sheikh Salman says he signed a pledge written by NGOs committing the governing body, if he leads it, to tackle human rights abuses and corruption.
- Replay officials could have more say in targeting penalties Updated: Feb-12-16 12:00 am
Replay officials are likely to have more power when it comes to calling targeting penalties in college football next season.
- Worawi hopes depend on appeal against FAT elections Updated: Feb-11-16 11:47 pm
BANGKOK - Worawi Makudi's attempts to cling onto power in Thai football depend on an appeal against this week's Football Association of Thailand elections which voted in a new president.
- FIFA candidates head to Miami to meet CONCACAF in crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 11:07 pm
The five FIFA presidential candidates meet in Miami on Friday with the election's most inscrutable voters who are deep in their own leadership race amid a financial crisis.
- Opponents: Hawaii fantasy sports bill could create loophole Updated: Feb-11-16 7:20 pm
HONOLULU - Opponents of a Hawaii bill that would outlaw fantasy sports in certain circumstances say it could instead create a loophole to legalize the contests.
- Kenya under investigation for breaching anti-doping code Updated: Feb-11-16 6:17 pm
Kenya is being investigated for breaching the world anti-doping code, WADA said Thursday, and could be declared non-compliant in a matter of weeks.
- Purdue AD Burke announces plans to retire in July 2017 Updated: Feb-11-16 12:51 pm
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Purdue University says athletic director Morgan Burke has announced plans to retire in July 2017.
- FIFA candidate Ali queries Salman's role in Bahrain protests Updated: Feb-11-16 11:13 am
GENEVA - FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali has questioned the role of election rival Sheikh Salman in not protecting Bahrain players who alleged abuses after pro-democracy protests in 2011.
- No. 16 SMU falls to Tulsa 82-77 for 3rd loss in 5 games Updated: Feb-11-16 1:04 am
DALLAS - Markus Kennedy sees a losing record in five games since SMU lost its chance for an undefeated season in a year that lacks the incentive of postseason play.
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77 Updated: Feb-11-16 12:41 am
DALLAS - Pat Birt envisioned beating SMU when he sat behind the Tulsa bench a year ago for the Golden Hurricane's loss to the Mustangs with the American Athletic Conference regular-season title on the line.
- 2 California tribes oppose plan to regulate fantasy sports Updated: Feb-10-16 9:04 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Two Native American tribes with lucrative gambling enterprises in California are opposing a Democratic lawmaker's plan to legalize fantasy sports betting.
- North Carolina's NCAA academic case stuck in holding pattern Updated: Feb-10-16 8:41 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - North Carolina's long-running academic fraud scandal case seems stuck in procedural limbo.
- Kenyan athletes allege doping bribery Updated: Feb-10-16 5:44 pm
EMBU, Kenya - Two Kenyan athletes serving four-year bans for doping at the 2015 world championships say the chief executive of Athletics Kenya, the country's governing body for track and field, asked them each for a $24,000 bribe to reduce their suspensions.
- Lisa Borders announced as new WNBA president Updated: Feb-10-16 5:23 pm
NEW YORK - Lisa Borders has been a fan of the WNBA ever since she helped bring a team to Atlanta. Now she's the league's new president.
- Nestle terminates IAAF sponsorship over doping scandal Updated: Feb-10-16 5:14 pm
LONDON - Food and beverage giant Nestle told the IAAF on Wednesday that it terminated its sponsorship of athletics' governing body over fears the doping scandal could damage the company's image.
- California court throws out caddie lawsuit against PGA Tour Updated: Feb-10-16 1:50 pm
PEBBLE BEACH, California - Caddies lost their class-action lawsuit against the PGA Tour when a federal judge in California ruled they signed a contract with the tour that requires them to wear bibs as part of their uniform and cannot claim that corporate sponsorship on the bibs makes them human billboards.
- US women's national soccer team to be briefed on Zika virus Updated: Feb-09-16 10:56 pm
The U.S. women's national soccer team was scheduled to be briefed Tuesday night on the developing Zika virus crisis in Latin America, a day before the start of the CONCACAF Olympic qualification tournament in Texas.
- TCF Bank Stadium hockey transformation begins Updated: Feb-09-16 8:06 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The transformation of TCF Bank Stadium into a temporary hockey arena has begun on the University of Minnesota campus.
- AP Source: Ole Miss football cited in 13 of 28 violations Updated: Feb-09-16 7:38 pm
Mississippi's football program was cited by the NCAA in nearly half of the 28 rules violations levied against the school in the Notice of Allegations the university recently received, said a person with knowledge of the investigation.
- Paris secures sponsors; presents logo for 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Feb-09-16 3:48 pm
PARIS - Paris ramped up its bid for the 2024 Olympics on Tuesday, securing about 8 million euros ($8.9 million) in four sponsorship deals and presenting its Eiffel Tower-shaped logo in a ceremony on the Champs Elysees.
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Updated: Feb-09-16 3:33 pm
Coach Rick Pitino said Tuesday morning that he is still waiting to be interviewed by the NCAA about an escort's book allegations that a former Louisville staffer hired her and other dancers for sex parties at the team's dormitory.
- Tennis umpires banned over corruption; 4 officials suspended Updated: Feb-09-16 1:36 pm
LONDON - Two tennis umpires have been banned and four others are under investigation for corruption, authorities said Tuesday.