- For US, roster spots up for grabs in Friday match vs Peru Updated: Sep-03-15 8:02 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. center back John Brooks plays in Germany's top pro league and has even scored a winning goal in a World Cup match.
- Unsung Iceland and Wales nearly qualified for Euro 2016 Updated: Sep-03-15 5:57 pm
Unsung Iceland and Wales took big steps toward qualifying for the European Championships on Thursday - and they don't intend to take the long road to the expanded 24-team tournament just because there are more ways to qualify.
- Iceland beats Netherlands 1-0 in Euro 2016 qualifier Updated: Sep-03-15 5:39 pm
AMSTERDAM - Iceland beat the 10-man Netherlands 1-0 on Thursday to take a big step toward qualifying for next year's European Championship.
- Japan beats Cambodia 3-0 in World Cup qualifier Updated: Sep-03-15 5:29 pm
SAITAMA, Japan - Japan eased past Cambodia 3-0 to secure its first win in World Cup qualifying while South Korea thrashed Laos 8-0 to stay undefeated on Thursday.
- Pelle leads Italy to 1-0 win over Malta again in qualifying Updated: Sep-03-15 5:14 pm
FLORENCE, Italy - Graziano Pelle saved Italy from embarrassment against Malta again, securing a 1-0 win against the 160th-ranked opponent to put the Azzurri in command of their European Championship qualifying group on Thursday.
- Bale powers Wales closer to 1st tournament in 58 years Updated: Sep-03-15 5:12 pm
NICOSIA, Cyprus - With a late bullet-header, Gareth Bale powered Wales closer to the European Championship and ending a 58-year wait to qualify for a major tournament again.
- Italy-Malta match to observe minute's silence for migrants Updated: Sep-03-15 1:03 pm
FLORENCE, Italy - A moment of silence will be observed before Italy's European Championship qualifier against Malta for the European migrant crisis.
- Chung says AFC broke election rules ahead of FIFA vote Updated: Sep-03-15 12:59 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean billionaire Chung Mong-joon has accused the Asian Football Confederation of breaking FIFA election and ethics rules by lobbying for rival candidate Michel Platini in the presidential contest.
- Villas-Boas banned 6 games in Russia for striking official Updated: Sep-03-15 12:53 pm
MOSCOW - Zenit St. Petersburg coach Andre Villas-Boas was suspended for six games by the Russian Football Union on Thursday for striking a match official.
- FIFA reforms panel makes little progress at 1st meeting Updated: Sep-03-15 10:51 am
BERN, Switzerland - A FIFA-appointed panel driving reforms of the crisis-hit governing body appeared to stall Thursday after its first outing.
- 2018 World Cup qualifier: Australia 5, Bangladesh 0 Updated: Sep-03-15 9:38 am
PERTH, Australia - Australia scored four times in the opening half hour before going on to beat Bangladesh 5-0 on Thursday in an Asian confederation qualifying match for the 2018 World Cup.
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee Updated: Sep-03-15 9:35 am
LONDON - Arsenal says striker Danny Welbeck will be "out for a period of months" after having surgery on his left knee.
- Bayern Munich sets up training camp for refugee children Updated: Sep-03-15 9:12 am
MUNICH - Bayern Munich is to create a training camp for refugee children and adolescents while donating a further 1 million euros ($1.1 million) toward refugee projects in response to the European migrant crisis.
- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur Updated: Sep-03-15 7:33 am
DERBY, England - Derby's American owners have sold the English second-tier club to a local businessman who made a fortune through the "Candy Crush Saga" mobile game.
- Toure missing as Ivory Coast launches African title defense Updated: Sep-03-15 6:26 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Ivory Coast begins the defense of its African title this weekend without Yaya Toure after the team captain asked not to be selected while he considers his international future.
- Germany midfielder Marco Reus breaks toe in left foot Updated: Sep-03-15 4:38 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus has been ruled out of Germany's European Championship qualifiers against Poland and Scotland after breaking his big toe in his left foot.
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina Updated: Sep-03-15 4:29 am
ZURICH - Copa America winner Chile rises two places to No. 8 in the FIFA rankings still led by Argentina.
- FIFA World Rankings List Updated: Sep-03-15 4:17 am
ZURICH - FIFA world rankings published Thursday (August position in parentheses):
- Soccer players suspended for a game after blackface incident Updated: Sep-03-15 1:27 am
SPOKANE, Washington - Five members of the women's soccer team at a private Christian university in Washington state were suspended for one match Wednesday after a social media post surfaced showing them dressed in blackface and afro wigs.
- College soccer players suspended after blackface incident Updated: Sep-02-15 10:08 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - A private Christian university in Spokane says it has suspended five members of the women's soccer team after a social media post surfaced showing them dressed in blackface and afro wigs.
- England a magnet for players as clubs flex financial muscle Updated: Sep-02-15 6:42 pm
LONDON - For the final months of 2015, clubs in continental Europe can relax: English clubs cannot plunder their top talent until January.
- After hiatus, Tim Howard won't be US starter vs Mexico Updated: Sep-02-15 4:35 pm
WASHINGTON - United States goalkeeper Tim Howard won't earn his starting job back before a big playoff match against Mexico.
- Dortmund's Grosskreutz heads to Galatasaray but can't play Updated: Sep-02-15 2:38 pm
DORTMUND, Germany - Borussia Dortmund says midfielder Kevin Grosskreutz is heading to Galatasaray immediately even though he will not be able to play competitive football for his new club until the next transfer window in January.
- French amateur club hits jackpot with Martial move to United Updated: Sep-02-15 1:44 pm
PARIS - Anthony Martial's record-breaking move to Manchester United will not only catapult the teenager onto the world's biggest footballing stage, it will also transform the finances of a tiny sixth-tier club in the Paris suburbs.
- Government minister takes over Russian football Updated: Sep-02-15 12:56 pm
MOSCOW - Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko took over control of the country's football association Wednesday ahead of the 2018 World Cup, with promises of government money for the sport.