- Avila says Tigers will have 'highly competitive' payroll Updated: Oct-08-15 7:34 pm
DETROIT - Al Avila is eager to get started with his first offseason as Detroit's general manager, and he says the Tigers will have plenty of money to spend.
- Kershaw, Dodgers facing different Mets in playoffs Updated: Oct-08-15 7:27 pm
LOS ANGELES - Clayton Kershaw isn't sure what to expect from the new-look Mets, whose dramatic transformation in the second half of the season led to an NL East title.
- Tom Lasorda to toss out 1st pitch before Game 2 of NLDS Updated: Oct-08-15 7:24 pm
LOS ANGELES - Hall of Fame manager Tom Lasorda, who guided the Los Angeles Dodgers to their last World Series title in 1988, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 2 of the NL Division Series.
- Suzuki's deal includes $2 million Marlins option for 2017 Updated: Oct-08-15 7:23 pm
MIAMI - Ichiro Suzuki's new contract with the Miami Marlins includes a $2 million club option for 2017 with a $500,000 buyout, raising the guarantee to $2.5 million.
- Chicago Cubs give their longest-suffering fans a bit of hope Updated: Oct-08-15 6:51 pm
CHICAGO - Living in a nursing home run by the Little Sisters of the Poor, 82-year-old Edith Heath knows something about faith.
- Chirinos 2-run homer leads Rangers over Blue Jays 5-3 Updated: Oct-08-15 6:49 pm
TORONTO - Robinson Chirinos hit a two-run homer against David Price, Rougned Odor had a solo shot and the Texas Rangers beat the Blue Jays 5-3 Thursday in an AL Division Series opener as postseason baseball returned to Toronto for the first time in 22 years.
- Lester vs Lackey matches former Red Sox teammates Updated: Oct-08-15 6:18 pm
ST. LOUIS - John Lackey has been quite the bargain for the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Broadcaster Vin Scully to miss postseason after procedure Updated: Oct-08-15 6:17 pm
LOS ANGELES - Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully won't be calling any games in the baseball playoffs after undergoing a medical procedure.
- Kazmir, Cueto acquired at deadline for postseason pushes Updated: Oct-08-15 5:59 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Astros swung a deal for Scott Kazmir in July with October baseball in mind.
- Pirates' Sean Rodriguez makes peace with water cooler Updated: Oct-08-15 5:55 pm
PITTSBURGH - It's all good between Pittsburgh Pirates infielder Sean Rodriguez and the water cooler he TKO'd in the dugout during Pittsburgh's wild-card loss to the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday night.
- St. Louis police to increase security for baseball playoffs Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
ST. LOUIS - Baseball fans converging on the city's downtown for the playoffs series between the Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs can expect a beefed-up police presence, St. Louis' police chief pledged Thursday, two weeks after a shooting near Busch Stadium left a fan unable to walk and spawned unease about downtown safety.
- Donaldson leaves playoff game after taking knee to head Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
TORONTO - Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson left Thursday's AL Division Series opener against Texas after he was kneed in the head while breaking up a double play.
- Rangers' Beltre leaves playoff game with stiff back Updated: Oct-08-15 4:51 pm
- Molina on Cardinals' roster, will play wearing splint Updated: Oct-08-15 4:43 pm
ST. LOUIS - All-Star catcher Yadier Molina is on the St. Louis Cardinals' roster for the NL Division Series against the Chicago Cubs and will play wearing a splint to protect a strained ligament in his left thumb.
- Cubs win gets most viewers in wild-card game's short history Updated: Oct-08-15 4:17 pm
NEW YORK - The Chicago Cubs' return to the playoffs has drawn the largest television audience in the short history of baseball's wild-card game.
- Cleveland Indians may soon have minority investor Updated: Oct-08-15 3:03 pm
CLEVELAND - Indians owner Paul Dolan could soon have a financial partner.
- Arkansas releases 2016 baseball schedule Updated: Oct-08-15 1:18 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas - The University of Arkansas has released its 2016 baseball schedule that includes 34 home games, including Southeastern Conference weekend series in Fayetteville against Auburn, Missouri, Florida, Texas A&M and Alabama.
- Pirates head into offseason after another October stumble Updated: Oct-08-15 12:37 pm
PITTSBURGH - The man who symbolized the Pittsburgh Pirates' resurgence offered one final bit of advice before hopping onto his custom-made, Batman-inspired ride and zooming off into retirement.
- Thieves steal Royals trainer's '85 World Series ring Updated: Oct-08-15 9:48 am
- Parks department to recommend Nashville stadium's demolition Updated: Oct-08-15 6:38 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Nashville Metro Parks & Recreation Director Tommy Lynch says his department is recommending the demolition of a 1970s-era, city-owned, former minor league baseball stadium.
- Blue Jays' last postseason appearance was in a different era Updated: Oct-08-15 4:00 am
It may not have been obvious at the time, but when Joe Carter's home run sailed over the wall to win the 1993 World Series for Toronto, a distinct era in baseball history came to an end.
- Royals, Astros both have penchant for playing at home Updated: Oct-08-15 3:38 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Astros slugger George Springer attributes the trouble his team had on the road all season to the color of their jerseys, gray and drab, which might seem preposterous except for one thing: His manager, A.J. Hinch, offered up with the exact same reason.
- Pirates stopped by Arrieta, fall to Cubs 4-0 in NL wild card Updated: Oct-08-15 12:53 am
- Arrieta, Cubs silence Pirates 4-0 to win NL wild-card game Updated: Oct-08-15 12:24 am
PITTSBURGH - Maybe it's time to stop treating the Chicago Cubs like they're too young to be here.
- Rangers hold on for 3-2 victory over Blackhawks Updated: Oct-08-15 12:01 am