- Monaco puts money first with Martial expected sale Updated: Aug-31-15 9:02 am
PARIS - Not so long ago, Monaco was splashing cash to lure football's biggest stars. In a complete change of commercial strategy, it is now getting rid of Anthony Martial, one of the brightest young players in French football.
- NBA fines Clippers $250,000 because of DeAndre Jordan pitch Updated: Aug-25-15 7:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Clippers were fined $250,000 by the NBA on Tuesday for violating the league's rules while trying to re-sign DeAndre Jordan last month.
- Legal showdown looms over the NCAA's ban on paying athletes Updated: Aug-22-15 12:10 pm
ATLANTA - Fresh off a ruling that Northwestern University football players can't form a union, the NCAA is about to face a more direct challenge to its longstanding policy of not letting schools pay athletes like they're professionals.
- MLB, players' union announce domestic violence policy Updated: Aug-21-15 7:33 pm
NEW YORK - Major League Baseball can suspend players with pay when legal charges are pending in "exceptional cases" under a new domestic violence policy signed Friday.
- Days with Gibbs, diverse career shape Packers' Mark Murphy Updated: Aug-21-15 12:08 am
GREEN BAY, Wisconsin - Mark Murphy played with such intelligence while with the Washington Redskins that Joe Gibbs didn't need to talk to him, the ultimate sign of respect from the Hall of Fame head coach.
- LA Dodgers' luxury tax payroll could top $300 million Updated: Aug-20-15 5:39 pm
NEW YORK - Chase Utley's acquisition put the Los Angeles Dodgers close to becoming the first baseball team with a $300 million luxury-tax payroll.
- AP sources: Bills contract talks with Dareus at a standstill Updated: Aug-20-15 2:46 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Negotiations have reached a standstill in the Buffalo Bills' bid to sign defensive tackle Marcell Dareus to a long-term contract, two people familiar with the talks told The Associated Press on Thursday.
- Tim Duncan named NBA's top teammate Updated: Aug-19-15 5:47 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Tim Duncan has given up millions in salary to give the San Antonio Spurs the cap space needed to re-sign teammates and add players such as LaMarcus Aldridge.
- Column: Athletes are winners even on day they lost Updated: Aug-17-15 4:59 pm
The idea that a union shop leader would be able to schedule practice breaks or negotiate travel upgrades for Northwestern football players always seemed a bit preposterous.
- Ducks sign new forward Hagelin for 4 years, $16 million Updated: Aug-14-15 4:54 pm
ANAHEIM, California - Carl Hagelin's patience has been rewarded with a big new contract from the Anaheim Ducks.
- The Latest: Brady, Goodell leave court after hearing, talks Updated: Aug-12-15 6:00 pm
NEW YORK - Here are the latest developments in a federal court hearing in football's "Deflategate" scandal, with the NFL, the players' union and superstar quarterback Tom Brady at odds about a four game suspension he received for using underinflated footballs (all times local):
- Soccer player treated for cancer wins case over stopped pay Updated: Aug-12-15 6:51 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A football player whose contract was suspended by his club while he was treated for cancer has been awarded "moral damages" of around $60,000.
- Russia proposes tough salary cap for football stars Updated: Aug-11-15 10:09 am
MOSCOW - Russian football bosses have called for star players' salaries to be capped at just $31,000 a month in a move which could change the face of football in the 2018 World Cup host nation.
- A-League relaxes salary cap restrictions Updated: Aug-10-15 11:39 pm
SYDNEY - Salary cap rules have been eased in Australian football's A-League to allow clubs to recruit more than one foreign-born marquee player.
- 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith released after latest arrest Updated: Aug-07-15 10:15 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - More than missing one of the game's most menacing pass rushers, the San Francisco 49ers care that Aldon Smith can carry on with a healthy life off the field over the long haul.
- Ducks re-sign Silfverberg for 4 years, $15 million Updated: Aug-07-15 9:48 pm
ANAHEIM, California - Right wing Jakob Silfverberg agreed to a four-year, $15 million contract with the Anaheim Ducks on Friday.
- Seattle signs Paraguayan striker Nelson Valdez Updated: Aug-07-15 7:17 pm
SEATTLE - The Seattle Sounders signed Paraguayan striker and World Cup veteran Nelson Valdez on Friday, becoming the third forward on their roster who is a designated player.
- Jets' Cromartie: Patriots' Brady shouldn't be suspended Updated: Aug-06-15 7:23 pm
FLORHAM PARK, New Jersey - Tom Brady has an unlikely ally in Antonio Cromartie.
- Diego Castro Gimenez to join Perth Glory in Australia league Updated: Aug-05-15 11:36 pm
PERTH, Australia - The Australian football club Perth Glory says it's signing Spanish winger Diego Castro Gimenez for the upcoming A-League season.
- As pads go on, Colts embrace hitting portion of camp Updated: Aug-05-15 9:45 pm
ANDERSON, Indiana - The months-long wait for Indianapolis Colts linebacker Jonathan Newsome is finally over.
- State fund grows as horse industry continues to languish Updated: Aug-03-15 3:50 pm
PLAINVILLE, Massachusetts - Massachusetts' horse racing industry is flush with casino cash. The only problem? There isn't much of a local industry to speak of.
- Whaley: Bills have exchanged contract proposals with Dareus Updated: Aug-03-15 3:20 pm
PITTSFORD, New York - The Bills have exchanged contract proposals with defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, though no deal is imminent.
- Brandon Boykin eager for fresh start with Steelers Updated: Aug-02-15 8:48 pm
- Seattle continues to keep core together locking up Wagner Updated: Aug-02-15 5:28 pm
RENTON, Washington - Bobby Wagner was patient to a point.
- Seattle releases DT Tony McDaniel in salary cap move Updated: Aug-02-15 1:41 pm
RENTON, Washington - The Seattle Seahawks have released veteran defensive tackle Tony McDaniel to save salary cap space after signing quarterback Russell Wilson and linebacker Bobby Wagner to contract extensions.