- Bangladesh war crimes court sentences 4 to death Updated: May-03-16 8:15 am
NEW DELHI - A special war crimes court in Bangladesh sentenced four men to death Tuesday for killing, torture, arson and looting during the nation's independence war against Pakistan in 1971.
- Brothers plead not guilty in death of homeless man Updated: May-03-16 4:19 am
EL CAJON, California - Two brothers accused of fatally beating a homeless man in a San Diego County riverbed have pleaded not guilty to murder and torture charges.
- Killing of 5 Egyptians deepens mystery over Italian's death Updated: May-02-16 2:51 am
CAIRO - It was a brutal killing that became an international incident: An Italian graduate student disappeared from the streets of the Egyptian capital in January, his body discovered days later dumped by a roadside, tortured to death.
- Mexican general gets 52 years for torturing, killing man Updated: Apr-28-16 6:56 pm
MEXICO CITY - A judge has sentenced a general in the Mexican army to 52½ years in prison for ordering the torture of a suspect, then having his body burned, Mexico's federal judiciary council said Thursday.
- Egypt tries to divert eyes to citizen who died in London Updated: Apr-28-16 3:23 pm
CAIRO - Under scrutiny in Europe over its handling of investigations into the torture death of an Italian student in Cairo, Egyptian authorities sought to deflect attention Thursday toward the fate of a British-Egyptian man who died in a London fire.
- Mexican judges orders 5 cops, soldiers to trial for torture Updated: Apr-27-16 9:54 pm
MEXICO CITY - Judges in Mexico have ordered two soldiers and three federal police officers to stand trial in connection with the torture of a young woman that was caught on video.
- Fugitive will be sent to federal facility for evaluation Updated: Apr-21-16 3:57 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - A man who escaped from a psychiatric hospital in Washington state where he was sent after being accused of torturing and killing a woman will be sent to a federal mental facility for a competency evaluation, a judge ordered Thursday.
- US cites global governance crisis for declining human rights Updated: Apr-13-16 3:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is blaming a global crisis in governance as well as atrocities committed by non-state actors for a decline in human rights standards around the world.
- Deputies: Albuquerque man used home as torture chamber Updated: Apr-11-16 8:11 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Albuquerque man is facing charges after authorities say he tortured a man for more than a day in his home after accusing him of stealing.
- Missouri high court upholds death penalty in torture killing Updated: Apr-05-16 5:18 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Missouri Supreme Court has upheld a death sentence of a suburban Kansas City man convicted of murdering a woman whose rape and suffocation were videotaped.