- Alabama judges use segregation-era law to avoid gay marriage Updated: Oct-03-15 11:01 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - As Alabama's all-white Legislature tried to preserve racial segregation and worried about the possibility of mixed-race marriages in 1961, lawmakers rewrote state law to make it optional for counties to issue marriage licenses.
- St. Louis County police urged to strengthen protest planning Updated: Oct-02-15 1:06 pm
ST. LOUIS - St. Louis County police must strengthen policies for handling protests, improve training on diversity and community policing, and do a better job of hiring and promoting minorities and women, according to a report released Friday by the Department of Justice.
- Apple names ex-Boeing CFO to board, diversifying its ranks Updated: Oct-01-15 6:01 pm
CUPERTINO, California - Apple has filled a void on its board of directors with James Bell, the former chief financial officer for aircraft maker Boeing Co.
- Major companies form group to push for LGBT rights globally Updated: Sep-29-15 3:59 pm
NEW YORK - A dozen corporations, including Google Inc., Microsoft Corp., and Coca-Cola Co., are joining a new coalition to push for LGBT rights in the workplace in places beyond the U.S. and Western Europe.
- Niecy Nash wants more diversity at Emmy Awards Updated: Sep-16-15 10:04 am
LOS ANGELES - Niecy Nash says the Emmy Awards have more work to do when it comes to the diversity of nominees.
- SUNY board calls for diversity officers on every campus Updated: Sep-13-15 10:01 am
ALBANY, New York - The Board of Trustees for New York's state universities has adopted a diversity policy calling for a chief diversity officer on every campus.
- University of Illinois sees large, diverse freshman class Updated: Sep-09-15 2:19 pm
URBANA, Illinois - The freshman class at the University of Illinois' flagship Urbana-Champaign campus this fall is the second largest in the school's history and is more diverse than in previous years.
- Tennessee school removes gender-neutral pronouns from site Updated: Sep-05-15 11:59 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - The University of Tennessee says references to the use of gender-neutral pronouns such as "ze" are being removed from a school website.
- UT removing references to gender-neutral pronouns from site Updated: Sep-05-15 11:28 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - The University of Tennessee says references to the use of gender-neutral pronouns are being removed from a school website.
- ABC Family gets top marks for gay, lesbian inclusiveness Updated: Sep-03-15 12:03 pm
NEW YORK - The television network that gets the most praise from an advocacy group that monitors content featuring gays, lesbians and transgender people has "family" in its name and targets an audience of teenage girls and young women.