- Texas man pleads guilty to bank fraud in Sherman County Updated: Jun-30-15 1:43 am
WICHITA, Kansas - A Texas man accused of possessing dozens of counterfeit credit cards has pleaded guilty to federal bank and wire fraud charges in Sherman County.
- Convicted killer thought fellow escapee was slowing him down Updated: Jun-30-15 12:34 am
PLATTSBURGH, New York - Two convicted killers who staged a complicated prison break together and then spent more than two weeks roaming in thick New York woods finally split up when one man decided his companion was slowing him down, going their separate ways a few days before one was shot and the other captured, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.
- La. court clerks get OK to issue same-sex marriage licenses Updated: Jun-30-15 12:11 am
NEW ORLEANS - Two New Orleans men celebrated what apparently was the first same-sex wedding in Louisiana as the last holdout state began issuing licenses to same-sex couples after the historic U.S. Supreme Court decision that marriage is a fundamental right for all Americans.
- Sentence reduced for teen convicted in burning bus passenger Updated: Jun-29-15 11:26 pm
OAKLAND, California - A Northern California teenager who was convicted of setting the skirt of another teen on fire on a public bus has had his 7-year sentence reduced.
- Some counties give gay marriage licenses, others refuse Updated: Jun-29-15 10:35 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Nearly one-third of Alabama counties on Monday were not issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, or had shut down marriage license operations altogether, despite Friday's landmark U.S Supreme Court ruling that same-sex couples have a fundamental right to marry.
- Wisconsin teen accused of killing parents pleads insanity Updated: Jun-29-15 10:14 pm
RHINELANDER, Wisconsin - A teenager accused of killing her mother and stepfather has pleaded insanity in a northern Wisconsin courtroom.
- NC Senate packs bill with environmental regulation changes Updated: Jun-29-15 10:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Senate Republicans began trying again Monday to alter environmental standards they said would trim needless regulation and aid business.
- Alamogordo police officer accused of pointed gun at workers Updated: Jun-29-15 9:53 pm
ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico - An Alamogordo police officer has been arrested for allegedly pointed his gun at rental center employees last month.
- 'Citizen of the year' awaits sentence in fraud scheme Updated: Jun-29-15 9:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - A former California real estate developer who bilked millions of dollars from investors had every intention of finishing development projects that went belly-up during the 2007 housing collapse, his attorney argued in court on Monday.
- Los Angeles prosecutor sets up unit to investigate innocence Updated: Jun-29-15 9:38 pm
LOS ANGELES - A team of veteran Los Angeles County prosecutors will begin reviewing wrongful conviction claims from state prisoners who present new evidence of their innocence, the district attorney announced Monday.
- Alabama tries to stave off federal prison intervention Updated: Jun-29-15 9:37 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - At Elmore Correctional Center prison north of Montgomery, rows of bunk beds fill a large room that was designed to hold about half of the 196 inmates who currently live there. The beds are so close together an angry inmate could reach out and punch another man without ever touching the floor.
- Report gives harrowing detail of Nebraska prison 'rampage' Updated: Jun-29-15 9:18 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A deadly rampage by several hundred inmates at an understaffed Nebraska maximum security prison in May started when too many prisoners were allowed to leave their cells at once to get medication, according to an investigative report released on Monday.
- Swedish woman gets $18M in sex harassment suit against boss Updated: Jun-29-15 9:08 pm
NEW YORK - A young Swedish woman who sued her former Wall Street executive boss over lurid allegations of sexual conquest, betrayal and stalking was awarded $18 million by a federal jury Monday.
- Denver deputy fired after trusties pat-searched inmates Updated: Jun-29-15 9:05 pm
DENVER - A Denver sheriff's deputy has been fired for allegedly letting jail trusties conduct pat searches of 15 other inmates and restrain two more with arm holds.
- Ex-special ed teacher pleads guilty to possessing child porn Updated: Jun-29-15 8:53 pm
GREENBELT, Maryland - A former special education teacher has pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography.
- Indictment accuses man of raping woman found in driveway Updated: Jun-29-15 8:40 pm
WOBURN, Massachusetts - A 19-year-old Everett man has been indicted on a charge that he raped a young woman found unconscious and nearly frozen in a driveway in March.
- LA Kings terminate Mike Richards' contract for "breach" Updated: Jun-29-15 8:28 pm
EL SEGUNDO, California - The Los Angeles Kings terminated Mike Richards' contract Monday, claiming the underachieving forward committed a "material breach" of its terms.
- Maryland man sentenced for exporting firearms to Pakistan Updated: Jun-29-15 8:28 pm
BALTIMORE - A pizza shop owner has been sentenced to two years in prison for exporting semi-automatic rifles, parts and accessories to Pakistan.
- Theater shooter: 'I took the blood that wasn't mine to take' Updated: Jun-29-15 8:23 pm
CENTENNIAL, Colorado - Colorado theater shooter James Holmes told a psychiatrist who treated him months after the attack that he was in jail because "I took the blood that wasn't mine to take, and it was unfair, and I was selfish."
- Families, Arizona settle suit in deaths of 19 firefighters Updated: Jun-29-15 8:23 pm
PHOENIX - The state of Arizona settled a lawsuit Monday brought by a dozen families who lost loved ones when a Hotshot firefighting crew was overcome by a wildfire near the small community of Yarnell.
- High court ruling won't settle Louisiana execution questions Updated: Jun-29-15 8:04 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Disputes about Louisiana's execution method weren't settled by the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling Monday that a controversial drug can continue to be used in lethal injections.
- Man held on $100K in stabbings of ex-girlfriend's 3 children Updated: Jun-29-15 7:59 pm
BOSTON - A 51-year-old Boston man is held on $100,000 bail on charges that he stabbed and injured his former girlfriend's three children on Saturday.
- Contact lens companies say Utah law hurts their business Updated: Jun-29-15 7:55 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Contact-lens manufacturers say a hotly contested Utah law banning minimum prices for their product takes direct aim at their business model, and they will lose money if it stays on the books.
- Woman pleads guilty after daughter found malnourished Updated: Jun-29-15 7:51 pm
DENVER - A Denver woman has pleaded guilty to a child abuse charge after her daughter was hospitalized for malnutrition three years ago.
- Jury rejects conservative's bias suit against U. Iowa dean Updated: Jun-29-15 7:44 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The former dean of the University of Iowa law school didn't commit illegal political discrimination when she passed over a conservative lawyer for teaching jobs, a jury ruled Monday.