- LA hotel owner pleads not guilty in homeless killing Updated: Oct-09-15 11:43 pm
LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles hotel owner and an alleged gunman have pleaded not guilty in the killing of a homeless man.
- Man convicted of starting fire at county attorney's office Updated: Oct-09-15 11:10 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - A jury has convicted a man of setting a fire that damaged the Sheridan County Attorney's Office last summer.
- Judge refuses to throw out defamation suit against Cosby Updated: Oct-09-15 11:10 pm
BOSTON - A defamation lawsuit brought against Bill Cosby by three women who say he sexually abused them decades ago can move forward, a federal judge in Massachusetts ruled Friday, delivering a legal blow to the comedian as he attempts to defend himself against accusations of sexual assault by dozens of women.
- Shia LaBeouf charged with public intoxication in Texas Updated: Oct-09-15 11:04 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Actor Shia LaBeouf has been arrested and charged with public intoxication after an incident in Austin, Texas.
- Police: Trio used stolen gun to rob, kill 2 in California Updated: Oct-09-15 10:35 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Three young transients used a handgun that was stolen from an unlocked car to rob and kill a backpacking Canadian tourist in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and then a yoga instructor two days later on a hiking trail north of the city, authorities said.
- State of Washington sues contractor building Seattle tunnel Updated: Oct-09-15 10:25 pm
SEATTLE - The state of Washington on Friday sued the contractor building the troubled $3.1 billion tunnel replacement project for Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct.
- Ethics inquiry into justice's emails cites new revelations Updated: Oct-09-15 10:23 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania agency that prosecutes allegations of judicial misconduct said Friday that new revelations about the role of a sitting state Supreme Court justice in the exchange of explicit or otherwise inappropriate emails has prompted it to undertake a second investigation.
- 1 fatally shot at Texas Southern University housing complex Updated: Oct-09-15 9:43 pm
HOUSTON - A student was killed and another person was wounded during a shooting outside a Texas Southern University student-housing complex on Friday, and police have detained two men for questioning, authorities said.
- New Orleans mayor, sheriff meet over prisoner dispute Updated: Oct-09-15 9:13 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Orleans Parish Sheriff Marlin Gusman had little to say after meeting Friday in a federal judge's chambers to discuss their long-running differences over Gusman's management of the city's jail.
- Ex-Sacramento college student arrested for alleged threat Updated: Oct-09-15 9:11 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A former student at American River College in Sacramento has been arrested for allegedly making a violent threat against the campus.
- Correction: Juvenile Arrested-Police Chase story Updated: Oct-09-15 9:08 pm
ST. PETERBURG, Florida - In an Oct. 8 story about a teenager being charged with leading police on a three-county chase, The Associated Press erroneously identified Pasco County Sheriff's spokesman Eddie Daniels as the spokesman for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.
- Ex-lottery security officer charged with rigging more games Updated: Oct-09-15 8:54 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former Iowa lottery security officer convicted in July of rigging a Hot Lotto game so he could win a $14 million jackpot faces new allegations that he had close acquaintances cash in on lottery prizes in other states over several years, authorities said Friday.
- Man arrested in connection with passing counterfeit $20s Updated: Oct-09-15 8:46 pm
BREMERTON, Washington - Bremerton police have arrested a 27-year-old man in connection with passing counterfeit money throughout western Washington.
- Detective investigating deputy's death had sex with witness Updated: Oct-09-15 8:44 pm
HOUSTON - A sheriff's detective involved in the investigation of a deputy's slaying has been relieved of duty pending further investigation after prosecutors said he acknowledged having "consensual sexual conduct" with a witness in that case.
- Overhaul of Florida's districts hurts would-be House speaker Updated: Oct-09-15 8:20 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A judge called Friday for a sweeping overhaul of Florida's electoral map, including the congressional district held by a Republican seeking to become the next U.S. House speaker.
- Police investigate edible marijuana distribution at school Updated: Oct-09-15 8:13 pm
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - Police are investigating after students became sick at a South Kingstown private school where edible marijuana was distributed.
- Lawsuit against Arkansas DHS alleges private option delay Updated: Oct-09-15 7:57 pm
JONESBORO, Arkansas - Arkansas' Department of Human Services is being sued for allegedly delaying a woman's application for coverage under the state's "private option" that uses federal money to help buy private insurance for some residents.
- Former special ed teacher pleads guilty to battering student Updated: Oct-09-15 7:42 pm
PITTSBURG, Kansas - A southeast Kansas special education teacher has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery involving a 15-year-old boy who has cerebral palsy, is blind and confined to a wheelchair.
- Judge lifts logging injunction on 2 Montana state forests Updated: Oct-09-15 7:28 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A federal judge has approved a settlement between state officials and three conservation groups that allows logging projects in northwest Montana to move forward with added protections for grizzly bears.
- DA: NYC EMT made false 911 call to avoid going to Brooklyn Updated: Oct-09-15 7:23 pm
NEW YORK - A New York City emergency medical technician has been arrested after authorities said he made a false 911 call in order to avoid being sent to another borough.
- 2 suspects identified in slaying of 'San Quentin 6' inmate Updated: Oct-09-15 7:19 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California corrections officials say two inmates already serving life sentences are suspects in the slaying of a notorious killer who spent 45 years in segregation after a bloody 1971 escape attempt at San Quentin State Prison.
- Edmond man arrested at school for impersonating CIA officer Updated: Oct-09-15 7:16 pm
EDMOND, Oklahoma - Federal prosecutors say an Edmond man has been arrested after impersonating a CIA and Department of Homeland Security officials at Edmond North High School.
- Ex-NHL player, TV analyst arrested in domestic incident Updated: Oct-09-15 7:11 pm
CARY, North Carolina - Authorities have arrested former Carolina Hurricanes player and TV analyst Aaron Ward following a domestic incident.
- Ex-Arrow Trucking CEO sentenced for fraud, tax evasion Updated: Oct-09-15 7:08 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - The former CEO and president of Arrow Trucking Company in Tulsa has been sentenced to seven-and-a-half-years in prison for fraud and tax evasion.
- Judge denies offer to use sedative as means of execution Updated: Oct-09-15 7:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Challenges to Alabama's three-drug lethal injection procedure for executions will proceed in federal court after a judge denied the state's motion to dismiss the lawsuits and rejected a suggestion from the inmates to use a large dose of a sedative as an alternate method.